Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can Playing and Engaging With Kids Reduce Chances of ADHD?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 16 Replies

“By definition, ADHD requires that symptoms have to have a significant effect on life,” says Dr. William Barbaresi, director of the developmental medicine center at Boston Children’s Hospital. “To say that a tenth of all children have a biologic condition that affects their life enough to call it a disorder just does not make sense.”

Playing and engaging more directly with children on a regular basis, for example, tends to calm them down, and setting limits and educating children about the consequences of their actions can also help, according to new AAP management guidelines. 

http://news.yahoo.com/understanding-rise-adhd-diagnoses-11-u-children-affected-113247987.html

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I played with my kids and dd still had adhd.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM
5 moms liked this

Setting limits, providing structure, and engaging with your child will help them learn how to cope with their ADHD, but it will not prevent them from having ADHD. 

ADHD is not a product of parental behavior.  However, a pro active parent that works with their child and finds proper ways and treatments to help their child certainly increases the success of a child with ADHD. 

I really despise the stigma that ADHD is the fault of the child's parents.  It prevents many from seeking the diagnosis and support that their child needs.

***eta***

It certainly doesn't help when there are children who are misdiagnosed by evaluations that are not thorough enough. Not to mention there are adults that will blame a child's behavior on ADHD, whether diagnosed or not. Or, will want their child to be prescribed ADHD medications simply to regulate their perceived bad behavior or poor study skills.

Kitschy
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I'm pretty sure my 4 year old has ADD. We have a very structured home with tons of one on one play. Her daddy has adhd, it's just the luck of the draw.

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I think WebMD puts it well:

Although you cannot prevent ADHD, you can help your child have fewer learning and attention problems by:

Maximizing preschool learning and attention skills by reading to your child and providing new learning experiences such as puzzles and board games. The development of attention skills can be increased with these types of activities rather than by watching television.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Thank you for saying this so much more politely than I would have.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Setting limits, providing structure, and engaging with your child will help them learn how to cope with their ADHD, but it will not prevent them from having ADHD. 

ADHD is not a product of parental behavior.  However, a pro active parent that works with their child and finds proper ways and treatments to help their child certainly increases the success of a child with ADHD. 

I really despise the stigma that ADHD is the fault of the child's parents.  It prevents many from seeking the diagnosis and support that their child needs.

***eta***

It certainly doesn't help when there are children who are misdiagnosed by evaluations that are not thorough enough. Not to mention there are adults that will blame a child's behavior on ADHD, whether diagnosed or not. Or, will want their child to be prescribed ADHD medications simply to regulate their perceived bad behavior or poor study skills.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

You're welcome :)

ADHD is a complex subject that I feel needs to be better understood by the general public.  Perhaps then the negative stigmas and stereotypes will disappear. 

Quoting LauraKW:

Thank you for saying this so much more politely than I would have.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

***eta***

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Sure. Early brain development is dependant on the experiences children have. The more positive interactions a child has with the world the better their chances of reaching optimal brain development.

It's important to remember though, that the brain is a body part whose functionality is dependent on biological functions. Some brains just have faulty wiring in the same way that some people just have curly hair.

Tarot
by Tea on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

All this will do is reduce the number of children mis-diagnosed with ADHD. It is not a solution to the actual disorder.

Do you bury me when I'm gone? 
Do you teach me while I'm here? 
Just as soon as I belong 
Then it's time I disappear

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the WebMD article, i think it's accurate information, I just want to point out that brain development doesn't start in preschool...in fact, it's close to wrapping up for the most part then. Especially the social emotions skills it takes to engage in effective empathy, impulse control and anger management...skills that can be difficult for people with ADHD. If someone is gets stuck with a brain that will struggle with that stuff it's important to support those skills as soon as possible, waiting until a child is 3 or 4 is a waste of some important developmental periods.

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

I think WebMD puts it well:

Although you cannot prevent ADHD, you can help your child have fewer learning and attention problems by:

Maximizing preschool learning and attention skills by reading to your child and providing new learning experiences such as puzzles and board games. The development of attention skills can be increased with these types of activities rather than by watching television.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Well said and I agree.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

***eta***

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured