Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Romney called Tesla a "loser" Tesla is posting profits, expects to pay back the loan 5 years ahead of schedule, and won Motor Trend's Car of the Year.

Six months after Mitt Romney called the Department of Energy’s loan to electric auto company Tesla Motor Co. a “loser,” Tesla has announced it will post its first ever profit in the Q1 2013 and expects to pay back its Department of Energy loan 5 years ahead of schedule, by the end of 2017. Meanwhile, Tesla’s Model S was unanimously voted Motor Trend’s Car of the Year in November 2012.
Wasn’t there some other contest that happened in November of 2012? I feel  like there was.
If we’re going to talk about picking losers, though, let’s talk about picking Tesla as your “gotcha” zinger during the presidential debates. If you’re going to call someone a “loser,” maybe don’t choose Tesla, which has nearly every demographic in the entire United States rooting for it. Let’s review:
  1. Environmentalists: Don’t like 10,000 barrels of crude oil running down the streets of your cul-de-sac? An electric car may be for you.
  2. Car fans: Sadly, the rumor that Tesla would be racing in Nascar was just an April Fool’s joke, but its Roadster model has already won a four-car drag race against a Lotus Exige, a Porsche GT3, and a Porsche Carrera GT (video below). Surely the Nascar Dad demo can get behind that.
  3. Geeks: Tesla’s Chairman and CEO is Elon Musk, who is also the founder of PayPal and the CEO and chief designer of the Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX). In case that’s not enough geek cred for you, Musk is even fluent in the Geek dialect, telling the press after Mitt Romney’s “loser” comment and subsequent loss in the presidential election, “In retrospect, he was right about the object of that statement, but not the subject.” (Translation for those of you who do not speak awkwardese: “Who’s the loser now, motherfucker?”)
  4. People who like awesome things: See, e.g., photo above, video of drag race below.
Lesson: Do not bet against a geek. (Auto journalist Dan Neil already tried that back in 2009, betting Musk he could not build the Model S “within the technical specifications Mr. Musk laid out before the end of 2012.” Musk won, but he donated $1 million to charity anyway.)

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Except no one has said, "Let's just stop using it". In fact in the last two topics you tried to make that argument and both times I pointed out NO ONE is saying that.

Are you admiting now that you are against the oil company being subsidized now, or no?

Quoting talia-mom:

Wow,   you just make shit up.  I have justified the oil companies being subsidized?   Pull up the post now.   Do it and show me that I said that.

I don't defend oil.   I just argue with people that think we can just stop using it.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

You are the one being a hypocrite.

You believe the oil industry is right in being subsized. But you disagree that a new alternative car deserves the same kind of treatement.

But considering you were defending the oil industry in the topic about the oil spill I don't think you care about facts, or making sense. Or if your argument makes you a hypocrite.

You will say anything to defend oil. Why? No idea. But you will.

Quoting talia-mom:

I am talking about me.

People buying a Telsa don't deserve tax credits anymore than any other purchase deserves them.   They need to make it on their own and not because the government chooses to allow this one to be rewarded.

Whine about oil companies all you want.

I am not the one justifying corporate welfare and then whining about it in other posts.

After looking it up, over 90% of the this country is energized by coal, natural gas, oil, and nuclear.   It isn't working on a different source.   The electricity to run it is almost always going to be dirty.

But yeah, hypopcrites justify corporate welfare as long as they agree with the company.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Are you talking about conservatives that agree that the Oil company which is established, extremely profitable, and destructive should get subsidized.

But a car powered by an alternative source which is just starting out, new, and needs help to be established doesn't deserve the same kinds of subsidies?

Quoting talia-mom:

Subsidize the rich as long as you agree.

At least I am genuine in thinking no one should get taxpayer money without them earning it

Quoting brookiecookie87:

So you are saying, "The electricity to make this car work is probably created by these dirty ways" So stop trying to fight it and just continue to give in to what they want already?

You do realize you are making a false ultimatum again, right? The only two options are not, "Completely dismantle them, or continue to let that have full control".

Perhaps if people see the electric car become a success it will make more people interested in going green and perhaps make a shift in how we produce our energy and lead us to invest more into alternative energy sources.

Quoting talia-mom:

Goodness what a stupid statement.

The electricity to  make this car work is probably created by these dirty ways you people hate so much.

Is that easier for you?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Which ones are dangerous, expensive, and hurt the environment?  Which ones can run a car?

Quoting talia-mom:

Almost 80% of this country is energized by coal, natural gas, and nuclear.

So which one of those is renewable?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

It's quite simple.  Tesla's "corporate welfare" is an investment in our future, and it will pay off.  They are innovating the industry, and the tax credit is nothing more than an incentive.

Eventually their vehicles will be more affordable for more people, and it's renewable energy.  So don't worry, I think they will stand on their own very soon.  Their stock has already doubled.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Are you going to pull up the posts with me doing what you posted I did? Of course n ot. You lie and make shit up and then ignore and deflect when asked to prove it.

Stop using your imagination

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Except no one has said, "Let's just stop using it". In fact in the last two topics you tried to make that argument and both times I pointed out NO ONE is saying that.

Are you admiting now that you are against the oil company being subsidized now, or no?

Quoting talia-mom:

Wow,   you just make shit up.  I have justified the oil companies being subsidized?   Pull up the post now.   Do it and show me that I said that.

I don't defend oil.   I just argue with people that think we can just stop using it.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

You believe the oil industry is right in being subsized. But you disagree that a new alternative car deserves the same kind of treatement.

But considering you were defending the oil industry in the topic about the oil spill I don't think you care about facts, or making sense. Or if your argument makes you a hypocrite.

Quoting talia-mom:

I am talking about me.

People buying a Telsa don't deserve tax credits anymore than any other purchase deserves them.   They need to make it on their own and not because the government chooses to allow this one to be rewarded.

I am not the one justifying corporate welfare and then whining about it in other posts.

After looking it up, over 90% of the this country is energized by coal, natural gas, oil, and nuclear.   It isn't working on a different source.   The electricity to run it is almost always going to be dirty.

But yeah, hypopcrites justify corporate welfare as long as they agree with the company.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Are you talking about conservatives that agree that the Oil company which is established, extremely profitable, and destructive should get subsidized.

But a car powered by an alternative source which is just starting out, new, and needs help to be established doesn't deserve the same kinds of subsidies?

Quoting talia-mom:

At least I am genuine in thinking no one should get taxpayer money without them earning it

Quoting brookiecookie87:

So you are saying, "The electricity to make this car work is probably created by these dirty ways" So stop trying to fight it and just continue to give in to what they want already?

You do realize you are making a false ultimatum again, right? The only two options are not, "Completely dismantle them, or continue to let that have full control".

Perhaps if people see the electric car become a success it will make more people interested in going green and perhaps make a shift in how we produce our energy and lead us to invest more into alternative energy sources.

Quoting talia-mom:

The electricity to  make this car work is probably created by these dirty ways you people hate so much.

Is that easier for you?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Which ones are dangerous, expensive, and hurt the environment?  Which ones can run a car?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

It's quite simple.  Tesla's "corporate welfare" is an investment in our future, and it will pay off.  They are innovating the industry, and the tax credit is nothing more than an incentive.

Eventually their vehicles will be more affordable for more people, and it's renewable energy.  So don't worry, I think they will stand on their own very soon.  Their stock has already doubled.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Noticed how you didn't answer my question? Why is that?

The proof is in your posting. You have defended everything the oil industry has done and you attack anything that threatens it.

So I ask again. All you have to do to prove me wrong is say you don't believe that the oil industry deserves to be subsidized.

I didn't say you said it. I said you believe it. So all you have to do to prove me wrong is say you don't support it. Can you do that?

Quoting talia-mom:

Are you going to pull up the posts with me doing what you posted I did? Of course n ot. You lie and make shit up and then ignore and deflect when asked to prove it.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

I am talking about me.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Is that easier for you?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

If it lasts. There have been a million different fuel efficient versions of cars and they all somehow just disappear.

Besides hybrids and electronic cars are just as bad for the environment as normal cars. The batteries are incredibly toxic to the environment and charging an electric car will still require the use of fossil fuels.

I'm just going to wait and see but I do not have much hope.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Everytime something new to an industry comes out it is like this.

Think of the first computers. The first smart phones. The first of anything really.

The price will go down. Especially if they end up profitable.

Quoting furbabymum:

Eh. I don't see this as ever being available to the masses. I know when we were looking at buying cars we looked into getting a hybrid. Funny how they were all on backorder and you had to get on a waiting list plus pay 10x more for it. You'll never see those savings at the pump because you way over paid for your car. They just aren't affordable to the average person.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I am not answering a thing until you show me what you said I defend.

Do it or there is no more point in discussing anything with you because you lie, you make stuff up, and are too much of a whiny coward to simply admit you were wrong and made assumptions.

Do it. Show me where I thought oil subsidies are good. I mean, you would never make a statement not based in fact right?

Show it. Show me saying subsidizing any company is good.

Doubt you will. You just deflect because your lying ass is wrong.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

The proof is in your posting. You have defended everything the oil industry has done and you attack anything that threatens it.

So I ask again. All you have to do to prove me wrong is say you don't believe that the oil industry deserves to be subsidized.

I didn't say you said it. I said you believe it. So all you have to do to prove me wrong is say you don't support it. Can you do that?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

I am talking about me.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Is that easier for you?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

As I pointed out earlier (If you refuse to see it that is on you) every post you have made on the topic supports that conclusion.

That fact that you refuse to answer the question supports the conclusion. Again I didn't say you said you support it. I said you believe that.

When all you have to do to prove me wrong is say you don't. And you refuse to do that. It says something. If you want to prove me wrong just say, "I don't support oil subsidies". Can you do that? Or would that go against supporting the oil industry?

Quoting talia-mom:

Do it or there is no more point in discussing anything with you because you lie, you make stuff up, and are too much of a whiny coward to simply admit you were wrong and made assumptions.

Do it. Show me where I thought oil subsidies are good. I mean, you would never make a statement not based in fact right?

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

I am talking about me.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Is that easier for you?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Personally, I disagree with any large mega-corporation being subsidized with tax dollars; be they incentives, loopholes, or loan guarantees. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Deflect because you are nothing more than a liar.

Simply give me a post. You say I do it. Give the post.

But you won't. You are just simply a person who can't justify what you stated,

Quoting brookiecookie87:

As I pointed out earlier (If you refuse to see it that is on you) every post you have made on the topic supports that conclusion.

That fact that you refuse to answer the question supports the conclusion. Again I didn't say you said you support it. I said you believe that.

When all you have to do to prove me wrong is say you don't. And you refuse to do that. It says something. If you want to prove me wrong just say, "I don't support oil subsidies". Can you do that? Or would that go against supporting the oil industry?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

I am talking about me.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Is that easier for you?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM
The way of the future. We need to try to do away with oil as much as possible. There have been too many oil spills and wars fourght for that crap.
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM

You need a hug.

I would have to agree with Brookie - just based on what I've seen, you give the appearance of supporting the oil industry.  Is that an incorrect statement?

Quoting talia-mom:

Deflect because you are nothing more than a liar.

Simply give me a post. You say I do it. Give the post.

But you won't. You are just simply a person who can't justify what you stated,

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

I am talking about me.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting talia-mom:

Is that easier for you?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN