Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Lawmakers Propose ‘State Religion' Bill

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 23 Replies

North Carolina Lawmakers Propose ‘State Religion' Bill

article image
By Alex Groberman, Wed, April 03, 2013

A bill filed this week by two Republican lawmakers from Rowan County, N.C., calls for their state to be permitted an official religion. The proposal, supported by nine other GOP members, would essentially excuse North Carolina from the guidelines set forth by the Constitution and past legal judgments.

In response to criticism that their bill goes against the Establishment Clause, the Republicans who proposed it say that the First Amendment only applies to the federal government - not to state and local governments. Beyond that, as noted by the Huffington Post, they also maintain that the Tenth Amendment "prohibits court rulings that would seek to apply the First Amendment to state and local officials."

This bill's main sponsors are Carl Ford and Harry Warren. Its co-sponsors include Edgar Starnes and Larry Pittman.

The bill states:

SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools, or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

This bill is a response to a lawsuit filed in March by the ACLU against the Rowan County Board of Commissioners over the fact that they have opened the majority of their meetings over the past five years with Christian prayers.

Sources: Huffington Post, WRAL

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Idiotic.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Here's what I am thinking....even if they are technically correct, they will be shooting themselves in the head if they pass it and then subsequently pass a "state religion", because the federal government subsidizes the states in many ways, and I can envision the federal government being prohibited from doing so if the state has an established religion because the federal government IS bound by first amendment.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

Oh and did I say stupid?

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Curious what the end result would be...would others be banned outright? Or would the Chosen One be the only one allowed in public?

AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM
little bitch morons. Willing to cut off their noises to spite Obama's face. Don't they realize he won't be president forever and they will have to undo all of their idiotic showboating eventually or they will destroy the country they claim to love.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lazycervix
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

This is dumb but I really want to know which religion they will pick. If they will burn down the churches of other religions in there state or what if they see a person going into a Mosque will they inprision them. Will they force all business to close on sundays so that everyone can attend there church and have roll call at church so that the people who don't attend are fined. Exactly how would they enforce this law

mommy.of.3.boys
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Fucking sickening. Religion has NO place in politics.

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM
BOO! Separate state and religion. I may love me some Jesus, but not everyone does or should be forced to have it identified with their state.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Dumbasses.
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Glad I don't live there. On the other hand, if this is the most pressing issue going on in NC right now, maybe it's not a bad idea...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AuntieL333
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Having a state religion might sound good but in practice it would be an extremely odious thing. Do we go back and hold our own Inquisition for folks who don't practice the state sanctioned religion, imprison them or burn them at the stake if they refuse to repent and get with the program? There is a reason we have a separation between state and church. Religious rule is fine as long as you bowdown to their chosen God. All you have to do is look at countries that have religious rule to see how devastating it can be. It has always been a bad idea and will continue to be a bad idea to bring God into politics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)