Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama in Colorado

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 15 Replies

Obama is in Colorado today, so we have gun supporters all over the news trying to make their cases.

One thing the NRA and gun supporters bring up (a lot)is the 2nd amendment and that they feel it would be wrong to allow government to make changes to it. 

Then they go on to say: we need to regulate violent video game, movies/music. 

Why is it ok to limit or take away free speech?

Edit:

Do you think (some) Gun supporters are right in their belief that entertainment should be regulated but not guns? Isn't this against there constitutional beliefs.

As far as I know the NRA hasn't taken legal action trying to regulate entertainment. Just a lot of talk.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

drinking 

meriana
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM
3 moms liked this

They have the rating system in place, which is a form of regulation but in a manner that makes it easier for parents to determine what movies and games are appropriate for their children. Music, again, parental decision as to what young kids listen to. Teens tend to listen to whatever they want when away from home, but parents can offer a lot of guidance in that area along with reasons why they feel some music isn't worth listening to.

It's almost funny that the NRA is against any type of gun regulation but are perfectly fine with regulating other things. Another case of we should be able to do whatever we want but those other people/things...THEY need to be regulated. They seem to forget that we've had some gun regulation in the past and people still owned and purchased guns.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

Do you think the NRA is right in their belief government should regulate entertainment but leave guns alone?

I imagine it's for lack of a better argument. The 2nd amendment mentions a well regulated militia, not anyone being allowed to us any weapon.

And since they don't have an argument for it they try to deflect and blame video games, music, and tv shows. An escape goat.

I had hoped they would co-op the move to blame the lack of mental illness awareness and treatment. I don't believe this would put a dent in gun violence but it may stop a few mass shootings and help a great deal of people.

GeekMommi
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I posted something about the mental health issue and the few pro gun people that replied to me said more mental health wouldn't work because we can't force people to get help. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quote:

Do you think the NRA is right in their belief government should regulate entertainment but leave guns alone?

I imagine it's for lack of a better argument. The 2nd amendment mentions a well regulated militia, not anyone being allowed to us any weapon.

And since they don't have an argument for it they try to deflect and blame video games, music, and tv shows. An escape goat.

I had hoped they would co-op the move to blame the lack of mental illness awareness and treatment. I don't believe this would put a dent in gun violence but it may stop a few mass shootings and help a great deal of people.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Can you show me where the NRA is calling for regulations on music and video games?

GeekMommi
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121219/09124821437/nras-plan-if-we-blame-video-games-movies-sandy-hook-massacre-perhaps-people-will-stop-blaming-guns.shtml

"If we're going to have a conversation, then let's have a comprehensive conversation," said one industry source. "If we're going to talk about the Second Amendment, then let's also talk about the First Amendment, and Hollywood, and the video games that teach young kids how to shoot heads."

LaPierre lashed out at the media for glorifying killers, concealing the truth about video games, and making factual errors in describing the specifics of weapons. He cited "video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse" as well as "blood-soaked slasher films like American Psycho and Natural Born Killers." Signs proclaiming schools to be "gun-free zones" are practically an invitation to killers, he contended, while policy lapses like the failure to prosecute dangerous criminals, the lack of a national database of the mentally ill, and insufficient funding for school security have contributed to the danger.

Quoting talia-mom:

Can you show me where the NRA is calling for regulations on music and video games?

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Thank you.

Quoting GeekMommi:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121219/09124821437/nras-plan-if-we-blame-video-games-movies-sandy-hook-massacre-perhaps-people-will-stop-blaming-guns.shtml

"If we're going to have a conversation, then let's have a comprehensive conversation," said one industry source. "If we're going to talk about the Second Amendment, then let's also talk about the First Amendment, and Hollywood, and the video games that teach young kids how to shoot heads."

Quoting talia-mom:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM

So this article says they are going to do it but they haven't yet?

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I can't understand the NRA's assertion that guns aren't dangerous but video games where you kill enemies using guns is. Or the belief that one person's right to own guns is more important than someone else's right to live.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GeekMommi
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Have they done which part yet?

Proceed legally?  No, I don't think so.

The point of this post is:  why would they even want to mess with free speech, if they love constitution so much? 

Quoting talia-mom:

So this article says they are going to do it but they haven't yet?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured