Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Never Hit a Girl

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 92 Replies
1 mom liked this

Saw this on FB. Agree or Disagree? There are a few ways this can be discussed/debated. Do you agree that boys will be boys and it's just kids playing when they are young and treat girls the same way they treat boys?

Also, is it Ever ok for a boy to hit a girl? If so, under what circumstances?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Facebook is making America more stupid.

No 11 or 12 year old thinks it is OK for a boy to wrestle a girl to the ground. 

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Playful as a child is one thing but in adulthood they are not being playful.

The issue is a boys will be boys mentality but its not with rough playing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

It depends on WHEN this was based on. When we were kids? It was normal and expected and tolerated. 

NOW the 4 year old would be arrested and charged as a sex offender.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM
6 moms liked this

It is never okay for anyone to hit anyone. That is what I am teaching my kids. There is no reason to gender specify.  However, I am also teaching them that if someone is physically hurting them, regardless of gender, and you can not get a grown up to make it stop, knock the little fucker out. And in that situation, if someone dares to tell my son, "You never hit a girl!", I will educate them on his behalf.

I just remembered, I do have experience with this. A few months ago, we had a family visit the church we attend. They had a daughter the same age as my son, but she was two inches taller, and outweighed him by at least 30 pounds. after Sunday school, I was chatting with her parents, and she ran up and told them that my son had hit her, and he needed to be punished.  Well, the Sunday school teacher told us that she had been harrassing my son the entire class, and after the seventh time she had been told to stop hitting/flicking/ pinching/biting him, my son hit her back. They were both put in time out, and she stopped bothering him. When I told him not to worry, he was not in trouble (he was worried), this little girl threw a fit. I told her and her parents that S would not be punished for defending himself. They both said, "It doesn't matter what she did. a boy should never hit a girl!" I responded with, "If the girl had kept her hands to herself, he would not have hurt her."

I HATE the line of thought that a boy should just take whatever abuse a girl gives him, and she gets a free pass simply for having a vagina.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

IDK...I have a very gentle and kind son- He is now 22 and has never even raised his voice let alone his hand. Now my 25 year old daughter...different story all together.

I should say I do remember D (my boy) telling C, my girl to "shut up" once. I think they were both young adults at the time.

My brothers both have all boy households and those boys are rough-  Not to girls, but to each other and their environment. So, so different. One of SILs grew up the oldest of 7 girls (no boys) and she had 3 boys in 3 years (all teens now)- she sits on her boys. She is 1 tough mama- add in my brother (the baby of our family) and she has her work cut out for her.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

It depends on WHEN this was based on. When we were kids? It was normal and expected and tolerated. 

NOW the 4 year old would be arrested and charged as a sex offender.

So true. Common sense has all but left a good majority.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

GREAT POST!

I have grappled with this topic with my own two kids and their peers for about a year now. Having one of each, daughter and son, this comes up a lot.

Personally, it is quite the conundrum to say "never hit a girl" while simultaneously holding feminist ideals close to one's heart. lol

And my daughter can dish it out...ds has a bestie and he and dd like to push each other around and normal crap like chasing each other and tagging too hard...where is that line? When do we start to draw it? Do we? Are we no better than the school administrators who seek to ban the likes of dodge ball and touch tag?

And IF a girl happens to be beating the beejeebees out of a boy, shouldn't the boy defend himself just as he would against another boy?

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally don't agree with this.  If I saw my 6 year old son pulling a little girl's hair, he'd be in trouble.  You don't do things to people that they don't like, whether they are a boy or a girl.  In general, I don't think it's ok for a boy to hit a girl.  But, there are exceptions.  My friend's daughter comes to mind as an exception.  When she was younger, she was a bully and beat up boys older than she was.  Most didn't really fight back, but I do think those boys had every right to defend themselves.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Little boys used to dip little girls that they "were sweet on"  pigtails into the inkwells on our desks when I was in grammer school.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandfather tells us he used to do this in his one room grammar school. It's very endearing although I'm sure the girl would tell a different story.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Little boys used to dip little girls that they "were sweet on"  pigtails into the inkwells on our desks when I was in grammer school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN