Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much information should you share about yourself online?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 19 Replies

We need intimate friendships.  We need people we can trust.  We share our fears and hopes with others who understand how we feel and and think.

But these days, intimate friendships are rare. We have lots of excuses for not having close friends--too little time, so many obligations, always on the move. We can hardly find time to spend with our family, much less to form and nurture deep and lasting friendships. But the real reason for lacking friends usually goes much deeper. Many of us are not sure what real friendship means. We worry about obligations it brings and what we might have to give up for friendship.

A true friend is willing to lay down his life for another. That doesn’t mean real friendship is only proven in moments of physical danger. Rather, that the commitment of friendship extends beyond times of joy, to times of sadness and despair. We are resolved to maintain the relationship even when things go wrong, when disagreements threaten separation, when sacrifices are required of us to keep the friendship healthy.

When we know the meaning of real friendship, we understand why it is so rare and valuable. It takes so much courage to show who we really are. Intimacy means vulnerability. It’s always possible that when we offer what is most precious to us, it will be rejected.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Very little
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
The less they know about me the better.

FYI: I feel that those that share everything are lonely and have no real friends they can talk to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Non-identifying information only.

RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Donna6503:

Very little

Great input Thanks!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Just my boob size...

No seriously, I have a group of women I've known here since the beginning of CM and we've moved over to FB as well. About half of us have made the effort to meet in real life, but my Invisible Kitten Friends are as real and dear to me as my 'real life friends'. It takes a long time for me to trust someone but once that connection is there, its real.

RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Quoting kaylasmom22:

The less they know about me the better.

FYI: I feel that those that share everything are lonely and have no real friends they can talk to.

eat input Thanks!

RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Just my boob size...

No seriously, I have a group of women I've known here since the beginning of CM and we've moved over to FB as well. About half of us have made the effort to meet in real life, but my Invisible Kitten Friends are as real and dear to me as my 'real life friends'. It takes a long time for me to trust someone but once that connection is there, its real.

Great input Thanks!

alf2651
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Too each their own, but I don't think one should share a lot about themselves online.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Certainly non-identifying information, but even in the cyber-world where noone knows who I really am, I'm still fairly private about my life.

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I share very little. There are some crazy bitches on here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN