Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

U.S. sends missile defenses to Guam over North Korea threat

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 5 Replies

(Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Wednesday it was sending an advanced ballistic missile defense system to Guam in the coming weeks, as U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel cited a "real and clear" danger from North Korea.

North Korea has singled out U.S. military bases in Guam, a U.S. territory in the Pacific, and Hawaii among its potential targets in threats in recent weeks that have put the Korean peninsula on edge and triggered a change in the U.S. defense posture and missile defense planning.

"Some of the actions they've taken over the last few weeks, present a real and clear danger," Hagel told an audience at the National Defense University in Washington.

He said those actions had threatened the interests of South Korea andJapan, but he also cited their direct threats against Guam, Hawaii and West Coast of the United States.

Shortly after Hagel spoke, the Pentagon said it was deploying a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD), which includes a truck-mounted launcher, interceptor missiles, an AN/TPY-2 tracking radar and an integrated fire control system.

"The United States remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and stands ready to defend U.S. territory, our allies, and our national interests," a Pentagon spokeswoman said.

(Reporting by Phil Stewart and David Alexander; Editing by Sandra Maler)

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I thought Austin was on their hit list too.....

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

It is don't know why it wasn't mentioned.

Quoting Woodbabe:

I thought Austin was on their hit list too.....

OHgirlinCA
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

The thought of another war makes me sick.  Freaking North Korea!!! 

oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I don't fullu understand all the machinations involved in the North Korea situation.  It seems like the consensus among the general public (or at least those posting online) is that North Korea poses absolutely no real threat, yet the government is acting otherwise. 

If the leader of North Korea is just posturing to prove his ability and solidify his power base, how far do you think he will take this? At some point won't it become clear to his country that he's just blowing smoke and has no real intent of entering into a war that they can't win or afford? 

Anyone have better insight on this?

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM

His father used to 'rattle his sabers' anytime he wanted international attention or aid...now that he's gone and his son is in charge, the concern is that 1) He's too young to remember the Korean War and its ramifications and 2) that he's surrounded by 'the old guard' that worked with his father and want him to finish the job his father started. How much he can be pressured by these guys is what's in question. This could be a pissing contest to show them he's not chicken. I'm not worried about our defenses because we can protect ourselves. What's the real issue is that no matter what we do, even if they strike first our defensive actions will be judged harshly throughout the world.

Quoting oddgirl:

I don't fullu understand all the machinations involved in the North Korea situation.  It seems like the consensus among the general public (or at least those posting online) is that North Korea poses absolutely no real threat, yet the government is acting otherwise. 

If the leader of North Korea is just posturing to prove his ability and solidify his power base, how far do you think he will take this? At some point won't it become clear to his country that he's just blowing smoke and has no real intent of entering into a war that they can't win or afford? 

Anyone have better insight on this?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)