Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think the penalty should be for Teens that commit Murder?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 83 Replies
I have been thinking of this for a long time now. Mass murders that have been committed by people like in Columbine, Newtown, CO theater shootings, the teen in NM that shot his whole family. Could some of these shooters be mentally ill? If so what should their penalty be? How about those that are under 18, like the teen that shot his family. Or the two teens that shot the baby in the face. One was 17 & was the shooter according to reports. The other is younger, what penalty should he receive? I heard they both will be tried as an adult. Both charged with murder. How do you feel about that? What do you feel their penalty should be? I am especially interested to hear others thoughts on teens that are not yet 18, that have committed murder. I've heard about kids as young as 12 or so, committing murder. What do you think they should get? Do you feel that some should be given a 2nd chance at life?
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
3 moms liked this
They have to have sex with Ann Coulter, and then they have to tell us what gender she is ...

(Just joking)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
5 moms liked this

Depends on many factors: the age and cognitive level of the teen, sanity vs not, degree of murder, premeditated vs not, self defense vs otherwise. There is no one size fits all answer or punishment.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM
4 moms liked this
??? Hey Donna do you have something 'intelligent' to say about this subject? What does your statement have to do with this thread, even if you are joking? Kinda gross you know, this thread is about teens & crimes they have committed. Then you talk about "They have to have sex with Ann Coulter, and then they haev to tell us what gender she is". I don't even know why YOU of all people would say something like this. :(
Quoting Donna6503:

They have to have sex with Ann Coulter, and then they have to tell us what gender she is ...

(Just joking)

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I feel that some may be mentally ill, therefore they should remain in a mental hospital.  I believe the one woman that drowned all her children, on appeals was found not guilty for reasons of insanity.  But, I believe she is in a mental hospital.  For the killers at Newtown & perhaps the one in CO., is mentally ill as well.  As far as the teen that shot his whole family in NM, wow that's a big one for me.  I mean can a teen just snap like that.  Shooting his siblings as well.  I can understand if the parents were abusive in such a way that was really horrible.  (molested, physically abused).  I haven't heard any 'new' news about this teen.  I feel bad for him, because he's so young.  But, also I can't be because of what he did.  Still I would want to know what was going on in that home.  Maybe, I just don't want to believe a kid could do something like that. 

Just like the teen that shot the little baby in the face.  What is going on in their mind that has someone just up & shot an innocent baby.  Are they just so hateful & full of rage.  What have they been taught at home.  For the younger teen involved in this, I don't know if he even knew the older teen had a gun & would use it to kill someone.  Let alone a baby.  So, I'm thinking more like the younger teen should just be in juvi. until he's 18.  Hopefully, he will turn his life around.  He will have remorse for what he has done & prove himself.  That is what I hope for teens that have committed crimes, but not murder.  (that's a different story).  I would like for them to be in some type of 'boot-camp' & get some real discipline.  Because, I don't think these teens are getting that at home.  Give them jobs to keep busy & to  help their self-esteem.  But, keep them confined in some type of program.  Getting counseling, then when they turn 18, let the counselors & others submit their opinions on whether the teen is a danger to society.  For the teens that have committed murder, that's another story.  Because, I believe they should be held accountable for their crime.  Unfort. that would be life in prison. 

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Just as with adults, it depends on the circumstances.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, isn't the primary goal of the prison system rehabilitation for all those deemed salvageable? I would say for a very young teen bystander who is sane, their life should be saved and pieced back together, if at all possible. People, especially those with actively formulating brains (under early 20s), should be assessed for rehabilitative possibilities if they are not guilty of a heinous crime(s).

I am not a professional versed in this area- so I would be uncomfortable stating exactly what should be done in each case. I believe the punishments could be many and quite varied.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with sisteract....too many variables to give a black and white answer.

I had a cousin who was shot dead by his 15yo son.  Not an accident ..it was murder.

He got a suspended sentence.  Cant remember all the details but he was found insane for the moment (having a brain fart cant remember what it is called when you go insane at that one moment )

You may say he took a life ..murdered a man, it doesnt matter what reasons.  I beg to differ.  This boy was raised like an animal...lived in fear for most of his life and one day when his father raised his sharpening belt to him one more time...he snapped.  He waited until his father was in bed, grabbed his shotgun and pointed at him and shot him while he slept.  When he rang the police and told them what he had done...they had to get him to a hospital too as his body was covered in bleeding cuts.

Everyone around that boy failed him and I dont think he deserved to be in jail for the rest of his life.

He is now 27yo a electrician and married.  Never done anything wrong again.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

...teens WHO commit murder.

If they are responsible ,aware and know what they did , they are old enough to go to jail. Most of them ARE mentally ill,. I don't think these kids ever get better. They shouldn't be living with others when they are dangerous and should NEVER have had a weapon.

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it really depends on the kid and the individual merits of each case.  Some of these kids seem quite evil and others seem quite broken.  Many need supervision but not all should be in prison.  Perhaps some should even face execution like the young man from Chardin who had such hate for his victims families when he was sentenced recently

PamR
by Pam on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Every case is different, I don't think you can give an across the board answer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured