Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sequestration: Obama to return 5 percent of pay

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 32 Replies

Sequestration: Obama to return 5 percent of pay

Obama makes $400,000 in presidential pay (though, thanks in part to book royalties, his 2011 tax filings show that his adjusted gross income that year was $789,674). Between now and Oct. 1, the end of the 2013 fiscal year, he will cut monthly checks that will total $20,000, an aide told Yahoo News.

The announcement came one day after the Pentagon revealed that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel would return 14 days’ pay, or roughly $10,750, based on his annual salary of $199,700.

The symbolic move came amid widespread news reports that sequestration —deep, indiscriminate government spending cuts—were hitting Americans’ bottom line and leaving gaps in key services.

The New York Times first reported Obama’s decision.

“The salary for the president, as with members of Congress, is set by law and cannot be changed,” another aide said to Yahoo News on condition of anonymity. “However, the president has decided that to share in the sacrifice being made by public servants across the federal government that are affected by the sequester, he will contribute a portion of his salary back to the Treasury.”

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I heard this same thing earlier today- If it actually happens, it would be the right thing to do. At $400,000/yr he is sorely underpaid- The health effects alone are reason enough to find a different job.

I am sure that Romney would have donated the entire sum- (to his ward, of course)

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Is this from the Onion?  If not it sure sounds like it should be, it's that ludicrous.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM
And there are so many more useful ways he could pretend to care about the budget.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

Is this from the Onion?  If not it sure sounds like it should be, it's that ludicrous.

Nope...it is being reported on msn as well..

Obama to give up 5% of salary in wake of 'sequester' cuts

President Obama
 will return 5 percent of his salary to the U.S. Treasury when other federal workers are being furloughed as part of the mandatory budget cuts that took effect earlier this year, NBC News has confirmed.

The New York Times, which broke this story, adds:

The voluntary move would be retroactive to March 1 and apply through the rest of the calendar year, the official said. The White House came up with the 5 percent figure to approximate the level of automatic spending cuts to non-defense federal agencies that took effect that day.

“The president has decided that to share in the sacrifice being made by public servants across the federal government that are affected by the sequester, he will contribute a portion of his salary back to the Treasury,” [an administration] official said.

A White House aide tells NBC's Chuck Todd that the salary for the president, as with members of Congress, is set by law and cannot be changed. However, the president has decided that to share in the sacrifice being made by public servants across the federal government, he will contribute a portion of his salary back to the Treasury.  

Guidance on how this will work: The president will contribute 5 percent of his full annual salary by writing a check to the Treasury every month. This will be effective March 1, but the president will cut the first check this month.  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Well, I suppose I'll believe it when I see it.  He hasn't shown up to this point that he's willing to cut back one bit.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting kailu1835:

President Obama
 will return 5 percent of his salary to the U.S. Treasury when other federal workers are being furloughed as part of the mandatory budget cuts that took effect earlier this year, NBC News has confirmed.

The voluntary move would be retroactive to March 1 and apply through the rest of the calendar year, the official said. The White House came up with the 5 percent figure to approximate the level of automatic spending cuts to non-defense federal agencies that took effect that day.

“The president has decided that to share in the sacrifice being made by public servants across the federal government that are affected by the sequester, he will contribute a portion of his salary back to the Treasury,” [an administration] official said.

A White House aide tells NBC's Chuck Todd that the salary for the president, as with members of Congress, is set by law and cannot be changed. However, the president has decided that to share in the sacrifice being made by public servants across the federal government, he will contribute a portion of his salary back to the Treasury.  

Guidance on how this will work: The president will contribute 5 percent of his full annual salary by writing a check to the Treasury every month. This will be effective March 1, but the president will cut the first check this month.  

babiesbabybaby development

mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

Well, I suppose I'll believe it when I see it.  He hasn't shown up to this point that he's willing to cut back one bit.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting kailu1835:

President Obama

Ditto.. I had to read it twice in msn as I thought it was a joke. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No he is not. That is $400,000 a year while he is in office, plus a $50,000 non taxable expense account every year, plus the best health care in the country for he and his family, all free. then he will get $191,300 a year every year until he dies after he leaves office.  That does not include all the perks like the white house, AF1, Huge vacations at the cost to the taxpayer, endorsement opportunities after he leaves office, kick backs and the like.  The amount of money thrown away on someone that holds the position for 8 years tops is insane.

And I think that about all of the elected officials. They are over paid, and underworked.

Quoting Sisteract:

I heard this same thing earlier today- If it actually happens, it would be the right thing to do. At $400,000/yr he is sorely underpaid- The health effects alone are reason enough to find a different job.

I am sure that Romney would have donated the entire sum- (to his ward, of course)

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Oh yippee. If there was any conviction behind his action, he'd dump it all back into the treasury ~ and stop spending money on everything but the deficit and our military. Other presidents have. Some refused retirement pay and protection as well. There are people living on less than he symbolically tossed back for crying out loud ~ and he makes enough to do without that salary entirely.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Geez...if he didn't give up any pay everyone would bitch about it. He's doing it and everyone is still bitching.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rlmama00
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Geez...if he didn't give up any pay everyone would bitch about it. He's doing it and everyone is still bitching.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN