Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sequestration: Obama to return 5 percent of pay

Posted by   + Show Post

Sequestration: Obama to return 5 percent of pay

Obama makes $400,000 in presidential pay (though, thanks in part to book royalties, his 2011 tax filings show that his adjusted gross income that year was $789,674). Between now and Oct. 1, the end of the 2013 fiscal year, he will cut monthly checks that will total $20,000, an aide told Yahoo News.

The announcement came one day after the Pentagon revealed that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel would return 14 days’ pay, or roughly $10,750, based on his annual salary of $199,700.

The symbolic move came amid widespread news reports that sequestration —deep, indiscriminate government spending cuts—were hitting Americans’ bottom line and leaving gaps in key services.

The New York Times first reported Obama’s decision.

“The salary for the president, as with members of Congress, is set by law and cannot be changed,” another aide said to Yahoo News on condition of anonymity. “However, the president has decided that to share in the sacrifice being made by public servants across the federal government that are affected by the sequester, he will contribute a portion of his salary back to the Treasury.”

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Just like EVERY OTHER Pres. Funny how it is only an issue for either party when their guy is in power.

Quoting trippyhippy:

He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Now put what you said as a reply to almost very post made by a republican on this site in the past 5 years.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Just like EVERY OTHER Pres. Funny how it is only an issue for either party when their guy is in power.

Quoting trippyhippy:

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
We would have to pay for them anyway. Obama leaves and the white house shuts down? No.

Quoting Sisteract:

Are you kidding? The complaint would then become, the Obamas are at home and now "we" have to pay for their heating and electric bills.

Quoting talia-mom:

Actually, many members of Congress send back money from their office budget.

If he trully wanted to show he was giving back, going on a family trip at the same damn time would be a big savings.

Quoting meriana:

People griping because the President is doing this and complaining he hasn't cut back on his expenses...I wonder how many in Congress have cut back on anything and how many have offered to give up some pay and/or perks.  No matter what the man does people complain.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I have said the same, or similar, on many Repubs posts, dear, but cute little attempt at deflection. .

Quoting trippyhippy:

Now put what you said as a reply to almost very post made by a republican on this site in the past 5 years.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Seriously? I hardly think they cut the heat & power off when they leave for vacation. Your statement is ludicrous IMO.

Quoting Sisteract:

Are you kidding? The complaint would then become, the Obamas are at home and now "we" have to pay for their heating and electric bills.

Quoting talia-mom:

If he trully wanted to show he was giving back, going on a family trip at the same damn time would be a big savings.

Quoting meriana:

People griping because the President is doing this and complaining he hasn't cut back on his expenses...I wonder how many in Congress have cut back on anything and how many have offered to give up some pay and/or perks.  No matter what the man does people complain.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I find it interesting the announcement came the day AFTER Hagel announced he was giving back pay, roughly the same percentage. Would Obama have done if Hagel, or someone else hadn't announced it first? We'll never know, but IMO it's doubtful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Or we could think about it like this:

5% of his $400,000 salary translates to roughly one-fifth of 1% of the cost of his last (taxpayer-funded) family vacation to Hawaii (a trip he takes every year) and 2% of his (taxpayer-funded) golf lessons with Tiger Woods coach. If he wants to show real solidarity with 'suffering' taxpayers, how about he cuts back on his multi-million dollar personal entertainment budget? That would show a hell of a lot more philanthropy than returning a pittance to the treasury dept. after spending millions on his personal 'fun' time.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Seriously, do some lack such a sense of humor that they only get a joke when lol is added?

Wow- pull the stick out and laugh just a wee bit.

Ludicrous is right-

Quoting DSamuels:

Seriously? I hardly think they cut the heat & power off when they leave for vacation. Your statement is ludicrous IMO.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting meriana:

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM
And when a republican takes office, make sure you remember it as well :-)

Quoting trippyhippy:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I didn't think you had a sense of humor. At least I've never seen it on here. Snarkiness, Yes.

Quoting Sisteract:

Seriously, do some lack such a sense of humor that they only get a joke when lol is added?

Wow- pull the stick out and laugh just a wee bit.

Ludicrous is right-

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting meriana:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN