Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Propofol given during wisdom tooth extraction, the patient died. WTH?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 62 Replies

California man, 24, dies after going into cardiac arrest while having wisdom teeth pulled

Marek Lapinski, of Murrieta, began coughing during the March 21 procedure and was given propofol, according to medical records provided by the family. He went into cardiac arrest and later died at the hospital. An autopsy is pending.

Comments (3)
Updated: Wednesday, April 3, 2013, 10:29 AM

Print
It has been suggested that Marek Lapinski, 24, may have died of an overdose.

NBC News

It has been suggested that Marek Lapinski, 24, may have died of an overdose.

It was supposed to be no big deal when California man Marek Lapinski went to have his wisdom teeth pulled last month.

But the 24-year-old died after going into cardiac arrest during the routine procedure, and his family is questioning whether a lack of care led to his shocking death.

“Our lives are ruined,” Lapinski’s mom, April, told NBC 7 San Diego in an interview Tuesday. “We don’t have him, and he was the center of all of our lives.”

Lapinski, a vice president at a 3D technology company in San Diego, had “no health issues,” his mother said.

Medical records provided by Lapinski’s family reportedly reveal the Murrieta man began coughing during the March 21 surgery and was given propofol.

The powerful anesthetic is the same drug that Michael Jackson was given shortly before his death in 2009.

April Lapinski said her son went into cardiac arrest after he was injected with propofol.

RELATED: GIRL MAY HAVE NERVE DAMAGE FROM TONGUE STUCK IN WATER BOTTLE

He was taken to the hospital, where he died. An ambulance report indicated that a piece of gauze was also found in his airway.

A pulmonary doctor at the hospital indicated the young patient may have suffered an overdose, April Lapinski said.

The family is awaiting the results of an autopsy.

Lapinski's sister said it appears he was given at least six different sedatives, and, at one point, he may have been without oxygen for 10 minutes.

TEETH4N_2_WEB

KSDK

The office of Dr. Steven Paul, who performed the surgery. The dentist has yet to comment, but his attorney released a statement saying "all standard protocols" were followed and that "no surgical procedure is without risk."

“He wasn’t going in for open heart surgery or something,” Natalie Lapinski, a nurse, told NBC 7.

Dr. Steven Paul, the oral surgeon who performed the procedure, didn’t immediately comment about what happened during surgery.

His attorney said in a release that the doctor provides “state of the art services and monitoring for his patients,” although “no surgical procedure is without risk.”

RELATED: TEEN'S TOUCHING TALK WITH DAD WHILE LOOPED OUT AFTER SURGERY

He also said that “all standard protocols” were followed.

But that’s not enough of an explanation for Natalie Lapinski, who said her brother was already on edge before the surgery.

“He was so scared to get this done,” she told Fox affiliate KSWB-TV. “That morning, he texted me and said, ‘I’m going in. I’ll call you when I’m out.’ I never heard from him again.”

In one of his final Twitter posts on March 20, Lapinski wrote about his dentist appointment.

Friends set up a Facebook memorial page in honor of Lapinski, who was remembered for his enthusiasm and caring personality.

“I am so blessed to have had Marek in my life,” wrote Stephanie Keiser. “He was a loyal and loving friend like no other.”

eortiz@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/calif-man-24-dies-wisdom-teeth-pulled-article-1.1306471#ixzz2PRWtSiHc

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shajdinyak
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM
So scary and sad:( Rest in peace..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Something odd about this story. All those drugs in his system for routine WT extraction? My kids were both in and out in under 40 mins for impacted extractions.

Also, a VP at 24? Took my hubs 20 yrs of 60-70 hour weeks to secure that title.

I think there's more to this story.

mommysangelface
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
While I do agree there is more to the story I can see a 24 yr old being VP of a company.

I think he did overdose cuz that's a lot of drugs for a routine procedure such as this

Quoting Sisteract:

Something odd about this story. All those drugs in his system for routine WT extraction? My kids were both in and out in under 40 mins for impacted extractions.

Also, a VP at 24? Took my hubs 20 yrs of 60-70 hour weeks to secure that title.

I think there's more to this story.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Was he allergic to the medicine?

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Did he have some of these drugs in his system before going in?
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I had Propofol when I had an ablation. It was awesome!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM

This scares the crap outta me! HOLY SHIT!

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

What was it like?

As a wife and mother I have felt it necessary to horde any all Vicodan prescribed to any and all family member. When my back/hip act up, a little V is like I imagine heaven. 

Quoting LauraKW:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I just had local...dont understand why anyone would need more?

Maybe he took something before going in because he was stressed.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I have a chronic pain condition that has been dormant for 6 years (thank God) so I am good friends with Vicodin. Propofol was amazing. My entire body was just blazing with happiness and I felt no pain whatsoever. And 30 minutes later it wore completely off and I HURT! I miss my new friend.

Quoting Sisteract:

What was it like?

As a wife and mother I have felt it necessary to horde any all Vicodan prescribed to any and all family member. When my back/hip act up, a little V is like I imagine heaven. 

Quoting LauraKW:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN