Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Since it seems to be a major misconception here

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 83 Replies
12 moms liked this

Gender is NOT dependent upon what is in one's pants. Gender is not dependent on the presence or absence of a penis, vagina, testicles, uterus, etc. It is only dependent upon how one presents oneself. Actually some transgender individuals do not want surgery or even hormones. In addition, transgender is not a new thing. It has been around for many centuries at minimum.

Straight from the APA:

Sex is assigned at birth, refers to one’s biological status as either male or female, and is associated primarily with physical attributes such as chromosomes, hormone prevalence, and external and internal anatomy. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for boys and men or girls and women. These influence the ways that people act, interact, and feel about themselves. While aspects of biological sex are similar across different cultures, aspects of gender may differ.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrouserMouse
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it is hard for people because even the medical field often uses the words interchangeably.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for posting this, you're right, many people are confused.

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I sort of knew this somewhere in my mind, but this clarified it. 

I know there are a couple societies where there's a socially accepted third gender or something; a different way to present yourself if you don't fit in the other two more "traditional" roles.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Good post!

mommysangelface
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Awesome post ducky!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Even as someone who is very open to different people and GLBT friendly, this concept can be a difficult one for a lot of people to understand. I have a friend, born male, who identifies as a female. Jenny also likes women. I will admit, I try not to rationalize her situation because it confuses the shit out of me. On a superficial level, she is a straight male who likes to dress in women's clothing. On her (a much deeper) level she is a lesbian female born in a male's body. Either way, she's my friend.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Yep. Another thing I learned in my sociology class.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

This is something that's confusing for A LOT of people. 

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Some languages have 20 different genders.
colljd02
by Julia on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM
3 moms liked this
I think every person would greatly benefit from taking a college-level sociology class:)

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Yep. Another thing I learned in my sociology class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured