Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Segregated Proms in 2013...

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 19 Replies

Four senior girls from a high school in Wilcox County Georgia are fighting to have their FIRST integrated prom.

That's right, even though the school was integrated 30 years ago, they still have whites only and blacks only proms and homecomings. The dances and courts are sponsored by parents not the school, which is why it's still legal. But now four girls are fighting to change that.

Here's the news story CLICKY

And here is the FB page for the group CLICKY

Can you believe that there are still segregated dances out there? We wonder why racism is still such a big deal, and then I hear about things like this and I understand why. How sad for these girls if this doesn't succeed.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Based on the attitudes often displayed and justified here on CM yes I can believe there are still people pushing for segregation.  

BTW...in the last paragraph, I think you mean "segregated" not "integrated"

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I completely agree. Some people.

But yeah. TheQueenofChaos you switched integrated and segregated both at the start and end of your topic.

I think anyone reading can figure it out but still might be wise to fix it ^^

Quoting katy_kay08:

Based on the attitudes often displayed and justified here on CM yes I can believe there are still people pushing for segregation.  

BTW...in the last paragraph, I think you mean "segregated" not "integrated"

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM
There are schools in Mississippi that keep them segregated by the student's choice. It's still more common in America, (and I will say America because I don't want to stereotype or pic on one region as a whole), than anyone thinks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Really?  It is official school policy?  I'd like to see that in writing.  Have you got a source?

Or do you mean students self-select in and out of schools where they are comfortable?  Something that is not a policy?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

There are schools in Mississippi that keep them segregated by the student's choice. It's still more common in America, (and I will say America because I don't want to stereotype or pic on one region as a whole), than anyone thinks.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM
There was a story a few years back, and it was a Yahoo feature article, about a school in I believe Mississippi where they were going to integrate the prom but the students chose up keep it segregated on the basis of music choices.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Really?  It is official school policy?  I'd like to see that in writing.  Have you got a source?

Or do you mean students self-select in and out of schools where they are comfortable?  Something that is not a policy?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

ah yes "music choices" suuuure that makes perfect sense now............

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

There was a story a few years back, and it was a Yahoo feature article, about a school in I believe Mississippi where they were going to integrate the prom but the students chose up keep it segregated on the basis of music choices.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

NOT

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I just read the article and remember it vividly because I found it so odd.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

NOT

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Makes me sick especially considering I'm from GA but this about an 1 1/2= 2 hr drive from me. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM
The term "segregated prom" has it's own Wiki page .
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I was just teasing. It seems like in this society / current times, people's poor behaviour has to be blamed on something /someone else. No one can ever take personal resposnibility (ok well, some people, sometimes)

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I just read the article and remember it vividly because I found it so odd.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

NOT

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured