Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia bill wins praise for blocking healthcare coverage for abortions

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 214 Replies
6 moms liked this

Abortion-rights opponents are welcoming a Virginia bill to block the state's ObamaCare insurance exchange from offering plans that cover abortions. 

The Susan B. Anthony (SBA) List, which supports political candidates who oppose abortion rights, called the measure's passage Wednesday a triumph for taxpayers who "do not want their tax dollars paying for abortions." 

"The SBA List is grateful for the leadership of Governor [Bob] McDonnell (R) in ensuring Virginia taxpayers are not forced to pay for abortions in the state’s healthcare exchange," the group's president, Marjorie Dannenfelser, said in a statement. 

Virginia has elected a federally run insurance exchange, where residents lacking coverage will be able to select from a variety of qualified health plans starting in October.

The SBA List's research arm stated that at least 20 states have approved limits on abortion coverage through their insurance marketplaces.

The Virginia amendment states that no qualified health insurance plans on the exchanges shall cover abortions, "regardless of whether such coverage is provided through the plan or is offered as a separate optional rider thereto."

The measure contains exceptions in cases of rape, incest or a threat to the woman's life. It passed the state Senate and the House of Delegates on Wednesday by votes of 20-19 and 55-37, respectively.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM
7 moms liked this

Next up, women dying en masse from back alley abortions. Way to go backwards, Virginia...

I really wish people would just stand up and say "I don't care about life, I care about enforcing my morality on strangers"...it would be refreshing to hear some honesty on this issue...

And Virginia? The state trying to ban blow jobs and anal sex? They must not be getting any at all to care so much about things that are NONE of their business...it seems like they just want to punish people for sex...that's it...

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand why women paying for their own damn insurance can't have abortion coverage? Seriously. These people really don't believe in making one's one medical decisions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Because common sense isn't so common...and women need to be punished apparently...

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

I don't understand why women paying for their own damn insurance can't have abortion coverage? Seriously. These people really don't believe in making one's one medical decisions.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting LucyMom08:

I really wish people would just stand up and say "I don't care about life, I care about enforcing my morality on strangers"...it would be refreshing to hear some honesty on this issue...

Isn't that the concept behind Obamacare? 

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

It shames me to be a Virginian right now.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Don't confuse people with facts.

Quoting LucyMom08:

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
9 moms liked this

It would be refreshing to hear someone getting an abortion admit, I don't care about snuffing out the life of my child because I am a selfish person and it is all about me and what I want.

Quoting LucyMom08:

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

How so?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting LucyMom08:

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

How is that ANY of your business? At all?

Quoting candlegal:

It would be refreshing to hear someone getting an abortion admit, I don't care about snuffing out the life of my child because I am a selfish person and it is all about me and what I want.

Quoting LucyMom08:

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I'll ask you the same question...how so?

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Don't confuse people with facts.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured