Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia bill wins praise for blocking healthcare coverage for abortions

Posted by   + Show Post

Abortion-rights opponents are welcoming a Virginia bill to block the state's ObamaCare insurance exchange from offering plans that cover abortions. 

The Susan B. Anthony (SBA) List, which supports political candidates who oppose abortion rights, called the measure's passage Wednesday a triumph for taxpayers who "do not want their tax dollars paying for abortions." 

"The SBA List is grateful for the leadership of Governor [Bob] McDonnell (R) in ensuring Virginia taxpayers are not forced to pay for abortions in the state’s healthcare exchange," the group's president, Marjorie Dannenfelser, said in a statement. 

Virginia has elected a federally run insurance exchange, where residents lacking coverage will be able to select from a variety of qualified health plans starting in October.

The SBA List's research arm stated that at least 20 states have approved limits on abortion coverage through their insurance marketplaces.

The Virginia amendment states that no qualified health insurance plans on the exchanges shall cover abortions, "regardless of whether such coverage is provided through the plan or is offered as a separate optional rider thereto."

The measure contains exceptions in cases of rape, incest or a threat to the woman's life. It passed the state Senate and the House of Delegates on Wednesday by votes of 20-19 and 55-37, respectively.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Replies (51-60):
jcribb16
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

We disagree on this.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Not really...you can't say 'legal or not' it's murder...murder, by definition, is UNLAWFUL.

Quoting jcribb16:

Just because something is made legal, by law, by a bunch of lawmakers, does NOT mean something is right.  Abortion is murder, legal or not.

Quoting LucyMom08:

It's NOT murder. Legally, it's not murder. Whatever YOUR conscious says, that's on YOU. YOU don't get to decide another person's morality and no matter what you may wish, it still does not concern you.

Quoting candlegal:

Murder should be everyone's concern.  Just because you don't care about the children doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't.

Quoting LucyMom08:

No, they don't. That does not concern you at all.

Quoting candlegal:

On top of that, someone has to speak up for the child if her/his own mother won't do it.

Quoting LucyMom08:

How is that ANY of your business? At all?

Quoting candlegal:

It would be refreshing to hear someone getting an abortion admit, I don't care about snuffing out the life of my child because I am a selfish person and it is all about me and what I want.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I really wish people would just stand up and say "I don't care about life, I care about enforcing my morality on strangers"...it would be refreshing to hear some honesty on this issue...

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this

If it is at the expense of a child, yes.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Wanting to finish school is a selfish wish?

Quoting candlegal:

Not in all cases.  I know that there are some women that are really torn and really believe they are doing the right thing but too many women are putting their selfish wishes over the right for their child to live.

\Why?   Too many different reasons.    Want to finish school.  Don't want them to interfere in a relationship.  Interfere with their fun, etc. etc. etc.

jcribb16
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously.  It's very obvious when one goes back through this thread and re-reads the comments between the both of you, and where the name-calling comes in by whom.  

Quoting LucyMom08:

Seriously?

Quoting jcribb16:

You have a difficult time accepting the fact that not everyone thinks as you do.  People are not ALL forced to believe the same thing, right?  What makes you think your views are any better than those who look at this differently than you do?  Shame on you, calling someone, especially a moderator, names instead of discussing the issue, just because she disagrees with you.  I don't see her calling you names just because you support abortions.  Just wow....

Quoting LucyMom08:

And again, that is none of your business...

And there is no 'for now' about it, making abortion illegal would not end abortions...it just makes them more dangerous, which circles back to my original comment. If you want it illegal, you don't care about actual life. You are just a hypocrite hiding behind a false moral claim.

Quoting candlegal:

My conscience is fine.   Yes, Those getting abortions are legally allowed to do it, for now, that doens't mean they won't pay later.

Quoting LucyMom08:

It's NOT murder. Legally, it's not murder. Whatever YOUR conscious says, that's on YOU. YOU don't get to decide another person's morality and no matter what you may wish, it still does not concern you.

Quoting candlegal:

Murder should be everyone's concern.  Just because you don't care about the children doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

On top of that, someone has to speak up for the child if her/his own mother won't do it.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

It would be refreshing to hear someone getting an abortion admit, I don't care about snuffing out the life of my child because I am a selfish person and it is all about me and what I want.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I really wish people would just stand up and say "I don't care about life, I care about enforcing my morality on strangers"...it would be refreshing to hear some honesty on this issue...

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

So she should postpone/quit school because of a pregnancy she did not intend (let's call it a bc fail) to give birth to a child she did not want and perhaps can't go through with an adoption..

What happens when she gives birth and then can only find a minimum wage job (you know, because she couldn't finish her schooling) that barely covers expenses including daycare? Maybe she has to go on food stamps, get goverment benefits. So, for people who said they don't want their $$ going towards a one-time abortion...they'll be paying years to take care of the mother and child.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting candlegal:

Not in all cases.  I know that there are some women that are really torn and really believe they are doing the right thing but too many women are putting their selfish wishes over the right for their child to live.

\Why?   Too many different reasons.    Want to finish school.  Don't want them to interfere in a relationship.  Interfere with their fun, etc. etc. etc.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I luv your posts - you have 2 shtick's - (1) How so? and (2) source?.

It is as if you are a complete blank slate.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Source?

Quoting candlegal:

If they are using my tax dollars to pay to kill a child, it becomes my business.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LucyMom08:

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

You don't get it, whatever.   and I will say it again, selfish

Quoting lizmarie1975:

So she should postpone/quit school because of a pregnancy she did not intend (let's call it a bc fail) to give birth to a child she did not want and perhaps can't go through with an adoption..

What happens when she gives birth and then can only find a minimum wage job (you know, because she couldn't finish her schooling) that barely covers expenses including daycare? Maybe she has to go on food stamps, get goverment benefits. So, for people who said they don't want their $$ going towards a one-time abortion...they'll be paying years to take care of the mother and child.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting candlegal:

jcribb16
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I dare say there will actually be some who will accept their responsibility of having a child they conceived, or perhaps many more will actually use birth control from the start until ready to have children, and some who go crazy and hurt themselves trying to abort their "mistake" need desparate help in the first place about things they could do instead, and/or learn that responsibility and accountability for personal actions do indeed have possible consequences.  There are way more sides to look at with this issue than being said.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Do you honestly and truly think that banning abortion will end all abortions?

Quoting candlegal:

Don't worry about me, I just consider the source.   I know the pro-abortion people are getting desperate because we are are having more and more wins every year,   Sticks and stones and all that.

Quoting jcribb16:

You have a difficult time accepting the fact that not everyone thinks as you do.  People are not ALL forced to believe the same thing, right?  What makes you think your views are any better than those who look at this differently than you do?  Shame on you, calling someone, especially a moderator, names instead of discussing the issue, just because she disagrees with you.  I don't see her calling you names just because you support abortions.  Just wow....

Quoting LucyMom08:

And there is no 'for now' about it, making abortion illegal would not end abortions...it just makes them more dangerous, which circles back to my original comment. If you want it illegal, you don't care about actual life. You are just a hypocrite hiding behind a false moral claim.

Quoting candlegal:

My conscience is fine.   Yes, Those getting abortions are legally allowed to do it, for now, that doens't mean they won't pay later.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LucyMom08:

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Great reply !

Quoting LucyMom08:

Next up, women dying en masse from back alley abortions. Way to go backwards, Virginia...

And Virginia? The state trying to ban blow jobs and anal sex? They must not be getting any at all to care so much about things that are NONE of their business...it seems like they just want to punish people for sex...that's it...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcribb16
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Nonsense.  Not all women, no.  You are focusing only on the negative side of this.  There are extenuating circumstances involved for some.  However, some moms in here who are for abortion, are always siding with the "selfish" reasons/sides of some women receiving abortions, and so that seems to be the "norm" for arguments in here, against ones who are for the babies having the opportunity at life.

Quoting LucyMom08:

So you just automatically view women who have abortions as selfish? Why?

Quoting candlegal:

No because they will always be women who put themselves first.  I do think it will cut down on the number of abortions.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Do you honestly and truly think that banning abortion will end all abortions?

Quoting candlegal:

Don't worry about me, I just consider the source.   I know the pro-abortion people are getting desperate because we are are having more and more wins every year,   Sticks and stones and all that.

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM
3 moms liked this

So the Hyde amendment is null and void? Since when?

God it must be frustrating to be wrong. The SCOTUS has spoken- many decades ago in fact, and this is a legal, medical procedure- and nothing more. No babies are actually aborted when the medical procedure is done within the limits of the law. (some may need a Biology refresher). Screaming, stomping, insisting and posting limitless minutiae about the topic changes nothing.

IMO, some believe it is their right to make sure a woman is punished for having sex...far more than worried and concerned about the cells that are dividing that might eventually become an independently viable being.

I love how the provision above states some exemptions- YAY for being for choice-

Boo for those who can not accept facts and laws-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured