Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Virginia bill wins praise for blocking healthcare coverage for abortions

Posted by   + Show Post

Abortion-rights opponents are welcoming a Virginia bill to block the state's ObamaCare insurance exchange from offering plans that cover abortions. 

The Susan B. Anthony (SBA) List, which supports political candidates who oppose abortion rights, called the measure's passage Wednesday a triumph for taxpayers who "do not want their tax dollars paying for abortions." 

"The SBA List is grateful for the leadership of Governor [Bob] McDonnell (R) in ensuring Virginia taxpayers are not forced to pay for abortions in the state’s healthcare exchange," the group's president, Marjorie Dannenfelser, said in a statement. 

Virginia has elected a federally run insurance exchange, where residents lacking coverage will be able to select from a variety of qualified health plans starting in October.

The SBA List's research arm stated that at least 20 states have approved limits on abortion coverage through their insurance marketplaces.

The Virginia amendment states that no qualified health insurance plans on the exchanges shall cover abortions, "regardless of whether such coverage is provided through the plan or is offered as a separate optional rider thereto."

The measure contains exceptions in cases of rape, incest or a threat to the woman's life. It passed the state Senate and the House of Delegates on Wednesday by votes of 20-19 and 55-37, respectively.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Replies (101-110):
SuperChicken
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

The same could be said for weight loss surgeries, cancers caused by lifestyle choices, accidents caused by reckless activities, injured drunk drivers, etc. etc..    There is always someone who says they would "never" and those people have bad morals and they should pay for it themselves.    Where do we stop?  

Quoting TranquilMind:

What's wrong with popping for the couple hundred for your OWN abortion?  You want an abortion and it isn't an emergency. Pay for it yourself. 

Why should I pay for your abortion?

You do realize that these health exchanges are going to be a joke, right?  You will be able to "select from a variety of plans" just like you could before, but you will pay 5X the price and be penalized by the IRS if you can't do it.

DragonMother10
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I believe people can do whatever they want with their bodies. However with that said, some people need to take biology 101. Abortion IS murder. Paint it any color you want, argue until the cows come home, but when they abort a fetus, it IS alive.

Characteristics of Living Things

Defining a living thing is a difficult proposition, as is defining “life”—that property possessed by living things. However, a living thing possesses certain properties that help define what life is.

Complex organization

Living things have a level of complexity and organization not found in lifeless objects. At its most fundamental level, a living thing is composed of one or more cells. These units, generally too small to be seen with the unaided eye, are organized into tissues. A tissue is a series of cells that accomplish a shared function. Tissues, in turn, form organs, such as the stomach and kidney. A number of organs working together compose an organ system. An organism is a complex series of various organ systems.

Metabolism

Living things exhibit a rapid turnover of chemical materials, which is referred to as metabolism. Metabolism involves exchanges of chemical matter with the external environment and extensive transformations of organic matter within the cells of a living organism. Metabolism generally involves the release or use of chemical energy. Nonliving things do not display metabolism.

Responsiveness

All living things are able to respond to stimuli in the external environment. For example, living things respond to changes in light, heat, sound, and chemical and mechanical contact. To detect stimuli, organisms have means for receiving information, such as eyes, ears, and taste buds.

To respond effectively to changes in the environment, an organism must coordinate its responses. A system of nerves and a number of chemical regulators called hormones coordinate activities within an organism. The organism responds to the stimuli by means of a number of effectors, such as muscles and glands. Energy is generally used in the process.

Organisms change their behavior in response to changes in the surrounding environment. For example, an organism may move in response to its environment. Responses such as this occur in definite patterns and make up the behavior of an organism. The behavior is active, not passive; an animal responding to a stimulus is different from a stone rolling down a hill. Living things display responsiveness; nonliving things do not.

Growth

Growth requires an organism to take in material from the environment and organize the material into its own structures. To accomplish growth, an organism expends some of the energy it acquires during metabolism. An organism has a pattern for accomplishing the building of growth structures.

During growth, a living organism transforms material that is unlike itself into materials that are like it. A person, for example, digests a meal of meat and vegetables and transforms the chemical material into more of himself or herself. A nonliving organism does not display this characteristic.

Reproduction

A living thing has the ability to produce copies of itself by the process known as reproduction. These copies are made while the organism is still living. Among plants and simple animals, reproduction is often an extension of the growth process. For example, bacteria grow and quickly reach maturity, after which they split into two organisms by the process of asexual reproduction. Asexual reproduction involves only one parent, and the resulting cells are generally identical to the parent cell.

More complex organisms engage in a type of reproduction called sexual reproduction, in which two parents contribute to the formation of a new individual. During this process, a new combination of traits can be produced. The process is generally more complex than asexual reproduction, requiring that parents find one another, then (usually) care for their offspring before it can live independently. Nonliving things have no such ability or requirements.

Evolution

Populations of living organisms have the ability to adapt to their environment through the process of evolution. During evolution, changes occur in populations, and the organisms in the population become better able to metabolize, respond, and reproduce. They develop abilities to cope with their environment that their ancestors did not have.

Evolution also results in a greater variety of organisms than existed in previous eras. This proliferation of populations of organisms is unique to living things.

Ecology

The environment influences the living things that it surrounds. Ecology is the study of relationships between organisms and their relationships with their environment. Living things can alter their environment, but nonliving things cannot. Living things, for example, may migrate or hibernate if the environment becomes difficult to live in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

They are alive so they came first at one point.  I know people get abortions and regret them.   My biggest problem is those that get them over and over again.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

My very-much-alive children do not cone first in my life. And?

Quoting candlegal:

You don't get it, whatever.   and I will say it again, selfish

Quoting lizmarie1975:

So she should postpone/quit school because of a pregnancy she did not intend (let's call it a bc fail) to give birth to a child she did not want and perhaps can't go through with an adoption..

What happens when she gives birth and then can only find a minimum wage job (you know, because she couldn't finish her schooling) that barely covers expenses including daycare? Maybe she has to go on food stamps, get goverment benefits. So, for people who said they don't want their $$ going towards a one-time abortion...they'll be paying years to take care of the mother and child.

Quoting candlegal:

If it is at the expense of a child, yes.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Wanting to finish school is a selfish wish?

Quoting candlegal:

Not in all cases.  I know that there are some women that are really torn and really believe they are doing the right thing but too many women are putting their selfish wishes over the right for their child to live.

\Why?   Too many different reasons.    Want to finish school.  Don't want them to interfere in a relationship.  Interfere with their fun, etc. etc. etc.

jcribb16
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Guilt trip responses don't work here.  There are many on adoption waiting lists, who either can't conceive, or miscarry their pregnancies, or who want to help society by adopting.  And those people making donations, giving clothes, formula, etc., are showing their care and concern, as well.  

Granted, some children may be in homes or in the foster care system, but I know several who foster kids and love doing it.  Some have been adopted, while some are fostered until adult age.  And I have one friend, whose foster kids are all grown, yet they spend holidays with their foster parents, come and visit, etc.

Not everything is as negative as they are being made to look with this issue.

Quoting Sisteract:

And more importantly the child they bring into the world-

No one cares about those kids though-

Quoting lizmarie1975:

For some women, a really great support system means all the difference in the world. What about those women who can't?  Too bad/so sad for them?

Quoting candlegal:

I also have known several women who have gotten their degree who have a child/children so that is just an excuse.  If they really want it, they will get it.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

So she should postpone/quit school because of a pregnancy she did not intend (let's call it a bc fail) to give birth to a child she did not want and perhaps can't go through with an adoption..

What happens when she gives birth and then can only find a minimum wage job (you know, because she couldn't finish her schooling) that barely covers expenses including daycare? Maybe she has to go on food stamps, get goverment benefits. So, for people who said they don't want their $$ going towards a one-time abortion...they'll be paying years to take care of the mother and child.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting candlegal:

Not in all cases.  I know that there are some women that are really torn and really believe they are doing the right thing but too many women are putting their selfish wishes over the right for their child to live.

\Why?   Too many different reasons.    Want to finish school.  Don't want them to interfere in a relationship.  Interfere with their fun, etc. etc. etc.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

And woman should not be relegated to incubator status.

Once cells can grow to viability/person-hood in a vessel other than in another human being, the situation will change-

Cancerous tumors are cells that grow too- are we going to force people to grow those into living tissues too?

Quoting LilliesValley:

Because today its abortion tomorrow its bc. Then what second class citizenship? No thanks. The healthcare exchanges could have been great but our great law makers have watered it down to crap. Not having insurance is a bad thing and can happen through simple bad luck. You fall behind on one thing and boom lose your your house, car etc. It happens.

Quoting TranquilMind:

What's wrong with popping for the couple hundred for your OWN abortion?  You want an abortion and it isn't an emergency. Pay for it yourself. 

You do realize that these health exchanges are going to be a joke, right?  You will be able to "select from a variety of plans" just like you could before, but you will pay 5X the price and be penalized by the IRS if you can't do it.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I don't want to pay for you to have any of those things - or you me.

Quoting SuperChicken:

The same could be said for weight loss surgeries, cancers caused by lifestyle choices, accidents caused by reckless activities, injured drunk drivers, etc. etc..    There is always someone who says they would "never" and those people have bad morals and they should pay for it themselves.    Where do we stop?  

Quoting TranquilMind:

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Those don't concern taking a life.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting TranquilMind:

SuperChicken
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

So? 

Quoting candlegal:

Those don't concern taking a life.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

See that's the thing- It's pennywise and 18 years (potentially) of dollars foolish. I could be wrong, but I'd venture to say that more abortions are performed on people without the means to support a child vs those who can. In the world of magical thinking (and believe me it does exist as witnessed here, daily), as long as that fetus is allowed to grow and be birthed- all is good.

After that, all bets are off-

Quoting Billiejeens:

Who makes money when an abortion is not performed?

Quoting Sisteract:

Sorry BJ- I disagree-

And for so many it is about the money. You know what drives everything.

Quoting Billiejeens:

That is a ridiculous argument.

Even if we disagree on the overall subject - you know very well that money is not the gist of the post, but rather a tool.

Quoting Sisteract:

According to YOU- so apply your POV and YOUR standards to YOU and YOU are not directly affected.

Not your body, not your responsibility or your problem.

This article is ALL about funding. YOU and your friends are all about YOUR checkbooks- at least that is why this was posted- Oh no, my money is paying for abortions.

And when those babies are birthed, the complaint is Oh no, my money is paying for welfare and medical care and nutrition programs.

Face it- it's all about the money for you folks and no matter what, you complain.

This thread is about YOUR MONEY paying for abortions. The subject is FUNDING, not the dramatic, graphic, tasteless words you just posted.

WWJD- 

Quoting jcribb16:

Pulling limbs apart, scissors used to poke the head, saline to burn, poking, etc. - means no babies are actually aborted when the so-called "medical procedure is done within the limits of the law?"  It's murder and putting that unborn baby through very unfair pain just to end its life before being given its chance (like you were given.)  And the money-making side of it? Disgusting - blood money.

Yes, abortion is legal, but it is still murder that is happening in those "procedures."

Quoting Sisteract:

So the Hyde amendment is null and void? Since when?

God it must be frustrating to be wrong. The SCOTUS has spoken- many decades ago in fact, and this is a legal, medical procedure- and nothing more. No babies are actually aborted when the medical procedure is done within the limits of the law. (some may need a Biology refresher). Screaming, stomping, insisting and posting limitless minutiae about the topic changes nothing.

IMO, some believe it is their right to make sure a woman is punished for having sex...far more than worried and concerned about the cells that are dividing that might eventually become an independently viable being.

I love how the provision above states some exemptions- YAY for being for choice-

Boo for those who can not accept facts and laws-

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

That is one of their main talking points, lol.

Have fun with this, hi ho hi ho, it is off to work I go.   Don't let the ladies get you down.    Blessings.

Quoting jcribb16:

Guilt trip responses don't work here.  There are many on adoption waiting lists, who either can't conceive, or miscarry their pregnancies, or who want to help society by adopting.  And those people making donations, giving clothes, formula, etc., are showing their care and concern, as well.  

Granted, some children may be in homes or in the foster care system, but I know several who foster kids and love doing it.  Some have been adopted, while some are fostered until adult age.  And I have one friend, whose foster kids are all grown, yet they spend holidays with their foster parents, come and visit, etc.

Not everything is as negative as they are being made to look with this issue.

Quoting Sisteract:

And more importantly the child they bring into the world-

No one cares about those kids though-

Quoting lizmarie1975:

For some women, a really great support system means all the difference in the world. What about those women who can't?  Too bad/so sad for them?

Quoting candlegal:

I also have known several women who have gotten their degree who have a child/children so that is just an excuse.  If they really want it, they will get it.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting candlegal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)