Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Police: Va. Minister Painted Racial Slurs on House Before Setting It On Fire

Posted by   + Show Post

CHESTERFIELD, Va. (CBSDC/AP) — A minister at a Virginia church faces charges of setting his house and car in Chesterfield County on fire.

Chesterfield County police had investigated the fires as a possible hate crime because a racial slur had been painted on the house. Police believe 41-year-old Olander D. Cuthrell, who is black, painted the slurs on his home before he set it on fire.

Police charged Cuthrell on Tuesday with two felony arson counts following a joint investigation with the FBI.

In a press release, authorities say they treat allegations of hate crimes as “serious matters.”

The fires occurred March 15. One fire was set on the front porch of Cuthrell’s house. The other was set in a car.

Cuthrell is a minister of music at Good Shepherd Baptist Church in Petersburg.

He is being held without bond at the Chesterfield County Jail. An April 17 hearing is set in Chesterfield County General District Court.

source

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes they will.  I am willing to bet that people will be repeating this story as "that black guy who tried to blame white people" far, far into the future.  It will stand out and be multiplied in their minds, soon this guy will represent every black or brown person who is a victim of an actual crime, instead of being treated like an anomaly.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting stacymomof2:

You and I both know that there are some idiots that will use this as proof. heck they are probably already seeing this as proof of their bigoted point of view.

MamaOf3091011
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

well get me the hell out of here then!! :( I live pretty close to chesterfield and you'll never catch me over there! freaking crazy ass people live there. I want to move away so bad but I won't until my grandmother passes.

http://wtkr.com/2013/04/01/swat-responding-to-man-barricaded-in-a-virginia-beach-home/

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-29/local/38111075_1_apartment-complex-naked-women-neighbors

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/04/04/va-man-arrested-for-posting-fake-sex-ads-targeting-ex-girlfriend/

^look at the dates. smh

Quoting LucyMom08:

I'm definitely putting that state on my list of stay-away-froms...haha...

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Freaking Virginia

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Music minister = choir director.  Which doesn't make what he did any better, but the title of the piece is a little misleading.  If he did set the fire, I hope he's prosecuted fully.  

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Here is the original story

Chesterfield home vandalized, set on fire

Posted: Mar 15, 2013 4:48 PM CDT Updated: Mar 25, 2013 5:17 PM CDT

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) -

A Chesterfield family wants answers after their home is attacked with racist graffiti and fire overnight. Now, the peace of their Chesterfield neighborhood is shattered.

A quiet area just off Newby's Bridge road is now dealing with what residents call the most offensive damage in nearly 30 years. 

Right now, the tenants are even considering moving out. They were sound asleep while these vandals spray-painted their home and set part of it on fire. 

O. DeShea Cuthrell counts his blessings his dog Mocha woke him up in time to find his front porch on fire.

"I could have lost my family behind such a senseless act," said Cuthrell.  

Cuthrell, his wife and three sons made it out safely, but found something even more disturbing plastered on their home- racist words so offensive we have to blur them out.

"It's absolute anger because this is my home. This is where my wife and kids where my family lay our heads," Cuthrell added. "For somebody to violate us like that, and to put our lives in jeopardy for no apparent reason is beyond me." 

Neighborhood Watch Coordinator, Charlie Krausse has lived here 30 years and he's never seen anything this offensive. He came by to assess the damage and notify neighbors.  

"It's something that's totally uncalled for and not consistent with what we want this neighborhood to represent," said Krausse.  

The vandals even set Cuthrell's car on fire. Most of the parts were donated to him for his cancer foundation. His mom and sister are survivors. He planned on using this as a vehicle for cancer awareness - having survivors and victims sign their names here. 

"That dream for that particular car has been muffled but I still have the goal and the dream - maybe not that car, but maybe another one," Cuthrell noted.  

In the meantime, the music minister is just thankful his neighbors are so willing to help him clean the mess while he decides whether he still wants to live here.  

If you can help Chesterfield police find the vandals, call crime stoppers, anonymously, at 748-0660. The family says they can't think of any reason why someone would target them in such a hateful, violent manner. They've lived there nearly three years and have never had any problems until now.

source

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Occam's Razor. 

Quoting Radarma:

There is not a damn thing wrong with posting this.

This happens a lot more than many here would even believe.

And what this speaks to IS IN FACT a culture that is ready, hook line and sinker, to believe a story of discrimination and racial injustice against someone black.

I bet he never thought anyone would even question the validity of his story.

I am glad eyes are opening and these cases are posting and publishing.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow...I wonder if people who fake hate crimes should be charged with hate crimes themselves?

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't. 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/01/ted-haggard-tlc-program-sex-scandal.html

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20098413,00.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~19ranger57/halosham.htm 

Quoting 3xangel:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

This is not ok at all.  My goodness.  You would think a minister would act better than this. 

LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Whatever gets you out of bed in the morning...

eye rolling

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Or maybe he was set up....framed ?
That area has a problem with racial issues and hate.....

Quoting SuperChicken:

What's wrong with posting this?   I'm intrigued with the weird ways that people will cause harm to themselves and blame another race.   Like that woman who carved a B in her face and blamed Obama supporters, or the college professor who hung a noose in her own office because she was afraid of being fired for some other offence.  

I wonder what his motivation was?  Money issues?  Was it an insurance fraud with the slurs thrown in to send suspicion from himself?   Was it to make himself look like a victim to get sympathy?  Was it to make someone else look bad?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Yeah, that's it.

Quoting lga1965:

Or maybe he was set up....framed ?
That area has a problem with racial issues and hate.....

Quoting SuperChicken:

What's wrong with posting this?   I'm intrigued with the weird ways that people will cause harm to themselves and blame another race.   Like that woman who carved a B in her face and blamed Obama supporters, or the college professor who hung a noose in her own office because she was afraid of being fired for some other offence.  

I wonder what his motivation was?  Money issues?  Was it an insurance fraud with the slurs thrown in to send suspicion from himself?   Was it to make himself look like a victim to get sympathy?  Was it to make someone else look bad?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured