Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Banning junk food on FS S/O...

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 36 Replies
4 moms liked this

I just find it fairly hypocritical when I see people agree with this...when you know most of these people would fight it tooth and nail if it were to happen to all Americans...look at the backlash when school lunches were changed...this just looks like a way to punish people for being poor...

Do I think people need to make better food choices? Of course I do...but I also don't agree with the government 'banning' food...

And before you get your panties in a twist with the whole 'we pay for it' nonsense, we pay for ALL people to eat junk food...look at the amount of corporate welfare and farm subsidies we pay...

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM
4 moms liked this
Yeah, I don't get it either. The government shouldn't get to act like a communist government just because you get food stamps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jean_marie1987
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think any kind of F/S food ban would be difficult to regulate. It would also end up costing more money for the regulations, exceptions, etc. to be put into place and enforced.

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM
5 moms liked this

Agreed. 

If we want to get fired up about government money being spent on junk food, the first step should be to quit subsidizing goddamn high fructose corn syrup. It's ridiculous.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

not my business

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I agree
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jean_marie1987
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I agree. I recently started looking for items with sucralose (sp?) instead of hfcs.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Agreed. 

If we want to get fired up about government money being spent on junk food, the first step should be to quit subsidizing goddamn high fructose corn syrup. It's ridiculous.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The current bill gives some $4.9 billion a year in automatic payments to growers of such commodity crops, thus driving down prices for corn, corn-based products and corn-fed meats. Cows that are raised on corn, rather than grass, make meat that is higher in calories and contains more omega-6 fatty acids and fewer omega-3 fatty acids—a dangerous ratio that has been linked to heart disease.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fresh-fruit-hold-the-insulin

That's just one bill...that's not the total...

Quoting krysstizzle:

Agreed. 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Doesn't WIC limit the things you can get? I don't think it would be hard to not allow junk food with food stamps. They don't allow pop now, right? They do allow chips though? My hope is if certain food was banned, you might start seeing better access to healthier food especially in inner cities.

I am against most farm subsidies and I was happier about school lunches. 

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Soda is allowed. 

I'm not sure about that restriction/access part, though. Perhaps eventually healthier foods would show up in low-access areas, but without certain systemic food system changes, the prices would still be an issue for those budgeting with food stamps. 

Quoting smalltowngal:

Doesn't WIC limit the things you can get? I don't think it would be hard to not allow junk food with food stamps. They don't allow pop now, right? They do allow chips though? My hope is if certain food was banned, you might start seeing better access to healthier food especially in inner cities.

I am against most farm subsidies and I was happier about school lunches. 

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

A woman on f/s begins PMSing...she runs to supermarket to satisfy craving...a banana is just not going to cut it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN