Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents Outraged, After Students Denied School Lunch

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 205 Replies

As many as 25 students at a Massachusetts school were denied lunch this week -- with at least some forced to dump their food in the garbage -- because they couldn't pay, school officials and parents said.

Outraged parents said some students at Coelho Middle School in Attleboro cried when they were told by a worker for the district's food service provider they could not eat on Tuesday because they couldn't pay or their pre-paid accounts were short on funds.

The on-site director for the company, Whitsons Culinary Group of Islandia, N.Y., was placed on administrative leave by Superintendent Pia Durkin, who has also scheduled a meeting with company officials and ordered cafeteria workers not to deny any child food.

"There is no way any child in my school district will ever go hungry," Durkin told The Sun Chronicle on Wednesday. "Children need to eat."

Students who cannot pay or whose accounts are empty are supposed to be given a cheese sandwich and milk, but that procedure was not followed at Coelho, Durkin said.

"We agree that this situation was not handled correctly," Whitsons spokeswoman Holly Von Seggern said. "We really want to apologize to the parents of the children who were affected."

Fifth-grader Victoria Greaves, 11, said she and other students who had already been served their lunch were told to throw it in the trash when they reached the checkout. The school has students in fifth through eighth grades.

Her father, John, said he was incensed that while "there are people in prison who are getting meals, my daughter, an honor student, is going hungry."

Jen Ingemi, parent of a fifth-grader, said the girl behind her son in line began crying when she was told to throw out her lunch. He said her son offered to share his.

Durkin said she was informed by Whitsons management that the total amount of outstanding credit on all students' accounts in the district comes to about $1,800.

Read more: 
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/04/worker-suspended-after-mass-students-are-denied-lunch-because-were-behind-in/#ixzz2PY5eRspd
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM
13 moms liked this

What kind of heartless adult tells a kid to throw away his/her food and makes them go hungry?

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM
7 moms liked this
Maybe parents should be more responsible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
renijazzysmom
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM
7 moms liked this
I think the parents should be outraged that they are not paying their bills so their kids can eat.
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

WTF?!?! Seriously? Denying kids food? That is so wrong.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
6 moms liked this

I've seen enough of these types of posts to only do one thing.... popcorn

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Who doesn't feed a child or makes them throw out thier food?  Its not like the kids have a job where they can pay for their own lunch.

RADmomma
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM
5 moms liked this
While I understand that it's the parents job to provide food or funds for their child, I think the school was out of line to make them throw away the meal. It was already served. So instead of feeding a hungry child ( who might not have food at home either) they throw the food to waste & make the child go hungry! ?

Does the school provide notice of low funds? Did they mail home something that tells the parents their child doesn't have credits to eat?
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I think they should be tried as an adult, and the maximum penalty should be life in prison without parole.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Perhaps the school did the throw away thing to get the notice of the parents.   Let's be honest, we have all know or heard of parents who would be fine with never paying because the kid gets fed anyway.

abbie.alder
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM
14 moms liked this
So instead of feeding the child, they waste the food by throwing it away? Smart people right there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)