Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Family groups to feds: Don’t delay – appeal judge’s Plan B ruling

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 13 Replies

source

Sorry, can't get it to c & p

Traditional-values groups are calling on the government to appeal a New York federal judge's ruling making the “morning-after pill” – Plan B – available to minors.

Earlier today, Judge Edward R. Korman ordered the Food and Drug Administration to lift any restrictions to Plan B and the generics within 30 days. In his ruling, Korman called for the morning-after pill to be available over the counter for all ages without a prescription, instead of requiring a prescription for girls 16 and younger. The government’s refusal to life restrictions on access to the pill, he said, was “arbitrary, capricious, and unreasonable.”

Jason McGuire of New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms tells American Family News that the ruling is outrageous for several reasons, one being that there is no research to indicate that the morning-after pill is safe for minors.

“There are some studies that have been done on older women but not in that age group, and so that is problematic,” says McGuire. “And frankly, for a federal judge to rule on this area that has not been settled in science, that's a concern.”

Anna Higgins of the Family Research Council concurs: “We don't know the effect of long-term hormonal birth control on young girls especially during puberty, so this could be a potentially dangerous drug.”

Higgins, who is calling for the ruling to be appealed, says Judge Korman is also ignoring a decision by the secretary of Health and Human Services in 2011 overturning a recommendation to make the pill available to minors.

“Kathleen Sebelius' determination that this over-the-counter Plan B should not be available to young girls is a commonsense measure based on the data that she had and the current data – and the president endorsed her decision,” she explains. “So we really hope that they stand by that decision and appeal this ruling.”

Since the ruling never mentions parental rights, the drug could be purchased without their consent. Both McGuire and Higgins argue that leaves the door open for rapists and pedophiles to take their victims to a pharmacy to purchase the pill to help cover up their crime.

“The concern is that these young girls are being taken to these pharmacies by older men,” notes McGuire. “They cannot consent to a sexual relationship – and so when you're taking the doctor out of the process and you've taken the parents out of the process, you have left very young girls very vulnerable to older men.”

According to Higgins, the ruling drives a “wedge” between parents and daughters.

“... It voids teens getting guidance from their parents,” she laments. “So we're driving a deeper wedge between their parents and daughters, in that parents are not able to voice their concerns or to guide their daughters into making good decisions.”

Higgins is also concerned that the availability of the drug will increase promiscuity among minors and, ultimately, more sexually transmitted infections.

- See more at: http://www.instantanalysis.net/latest-headlines-from-american-family-news/2013/04/05/family-groups-to-feds-don%E2%80%99t-delay-%E2%80%93-appeal-judge%E2%80%99s-plan-b-ruling#sthash.nYdgowdb.dpuf
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

What a shocker.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I think it will be stricken - or at least put on hold. That is a big sweeping statute for one judge to make. Although honestly I hope it stands.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Nonsense argument. A pedophile in the family could take a girl to the doctor to get the pill without her parents knowing. Her father could be her rapist.
The opposition would gladly make this pill illegal for adult women if possible so it is insincere to claim they care about the health of children. They want the pill to be illegal period and every roadblock in place is seen as a small victory in limiting its usage for all women. I'm surprised they haven't asked that married women get written permission from their husbands before being sold the pill.
chloedee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

There are far more dangerous drugs available over the counter for purchase by minors than the morning after pill (Tylenol, anyone?). The morning after pill also isn't a "long term hormonal birth control", it's taken one time in one dosage. The American Academy of Pediatrics also supported writing prescriptions teens in advance, which seems to be comparable to advocating an over the counter system: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/26/pediatricians-prescribe-morning-after-pills-in-advance/

A pedophile could take a girl to a doctor without anyone knowing, or purchase the morning after pill for her himself if he was over 18 in the current system. This doesn't change a thing in that regard. Furthermore, an adolescent girl doesn't need her parent's permission to be on the daily birth control pill either, so allowing this doesn't drive a "wedge" that isn't already there.

Higgins' last concern is also completely scientifically unfounded, while is hilarious given his earlier "scientific" objections.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Why is thinking that when my daughters are 15 I should know if she is taking something hormonal wrong?   I would have to pay for the complications, not the pharmacy.

Numom61507
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

This has Mayor Bloomberg written all over it. You can get birth control at 14 from the school nurse without parental permission. Glad I don't live in NYC..

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Besides the fact that this federal judge is from New York, this story has nothing to do with Mayor Bloomberg or New York City.

Quoting Numom61507:

This has Mayor Bloomberg written all over it. You can get birth control at 14 from the school nurse without parental permission. Glad I don't live in NYC..

Numom61507
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I know. This just sounds like something he would pass. It sounds like it was his idea that someone ran with. 

What I don't get is why they are trying this measure to reduce the number of teen parents but they won't bring back more in-depth sex ed.

Quoting chloedee:

Besides the fact that this federal judge is from New York, this story has nothing to do with Mayor Bloomberg or New York City.

Quoting Numom61507:

usmc0351wife
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I don't have an issue with it being available. My thing is they should regulate how many you can get in a month like they do cold meds.  It should also include information on contraceptives and safe sex.  

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
My understanding of the way Plan B works is that it essentially is a hormone that when spiked causes your uterine lining to break down which causes you to have a hormonally forced period.

It's not like giving a teen a controlled substance, it's adding a rush of a naturally occurring hormone into their blood stream. Other than a massive case of sudden onset PMS, I don't see a one or two time use as being damaging to anyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN