Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OK...Religious Folks, do you REALLY believe this stuff?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 44 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/florida-woman-finds-sign-god-her-goldfish-cracker-191857159.html

Florida woman finds ‘sign from God' on Goldfish cracker 

Patti Burke now keeps her "sign from God" inside an earring case (Florida Today)It's a fishy story, but the woman telling it believes it's pure gold. The Florida resident says the markings she found on a Goldfish cracker are a direct message affirming her Christian faith.

"I believe that it's a sign, a sign from God," Patti Burke told WKMG. "He is still in our life every day, and he wants to show that to his people."

It's not quite manna, but in Burke's eyes it's a manifestation of her faith.

The cracker in question has two markings, or imperfections, on its surface. Burke says the first marking is of a cross with a circle around it. The second marking, near the head of the fish, represents a golden crown.

"When I picked this one up, I knew he was special," she said. "Something I've never seen before out of all the Goldfish I've eaten."

Burke admittedly has been working from a large sample size, consuming between two and three pounds of the crackers per week. She says she eats the small crackers individually, examining each one for the optimal amount of savory coating.

Burke now carries her special cracker in an earring box padded with gauze. But she wasn't immediately convinced it was a sign from God. At first, she thought maybe she had won a special promotion from cracker manufacturer Pepperidge Farm.

"They called me back and said there's no way this could have been printed like that in the factory," Burke told KSAT. "They said it sounds like something miraculous happened and we don't know how it happened."

(That comment has not been confirmed by Pepperidge Farm.)

No one can say exactly when people started seeing notable figures in their food, but it's a phenomenon that has made headlines in the modern era. Last year, a Nebraska woman sold a Chicken McNugget on eBay for $8,100 after becoming convinced it contained the visage of George Washington.

After becoming convinced that the cracker in fact possessed a deeper, spiritual message, Burke brought her sign of faith to her pastor, D. Scott Worth.

"I think it's a sign," Worth told WKMG. "I think it points to, I would hesitate to call it a miracle, but I think it points to the miracle, which is Jesus Christ defeated death. And that's what Easter is all about."

Of course, not every piece of food contains divine inspiration. Just pray you don't end up with a toaster possessed by the Devil.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Lol. Wow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TugBoatMama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Errrmmm....

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM

lol, cute, but only a coincidence. 

As long as it is not mocking God in any way, it's just a cute smile she thinks that. 

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

If she chooses to believe that-Good for her. Hopefully she takes to the love and caring side of the Christian religion.

It seems no more false or any less true than any other religious book I have seen. People have the right to believe what they want.

Unless of course that Gold Fish starts telling her to hurt people :/

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I made a grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich and there was a "cross" on it.  Looked really cool.  And that sandwich was TASTY!

I mean, I think things like this are neat.  But I've also seen food with really random "symbols" or "shapes" on them all the time.  I think this: If God put a sign on something, I don't think He'd want it to rot!  Maybe he's saying "Eat this yummy sandwich!  I blessed it for you!"  lol  Or, it could just be a coincidence.

\I guess I believe God gives us small signs all the time.  But I don't believe in sensationalizing it, or reading too much into it.  God warns us to be wary of false symbols, false idols, etc.  If I put all my faith into that symbol on my (delicious) grilled peanut butter and jelly, would I be worshipping GOD, or a SANDWICH?

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I agree.

I guess the test will be if it ends up on ebay or if she keeps it.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

As long as it is not mocking God in any way, it's just a cute smile she thinks that. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcribb16
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

This!

Quoting brookiecookie87:

If she chooses to believe that-Good for her. Hopefully she takes to the love and caring side of the Christian religion.

It seems no more false or any less true than any other religious book I have seen. People have the right to believe what they want.

Unless of course that Gold Fish starts telling her to hurt people :/

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Really.

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I just think it is weird to run to the news because your cracker has a press mark on it. I really do find these stories very, very strange.

Even more so when people gather to worship at the food item of the week or the mold colony shaped like the Virgin Mary (I recall that one from several years ago) or an image on a building when the light strikes it a certain way.

I do not understand why people are so desperate for a "sign". Isn't one point of faith not to need anyone/thing to speak to you through a snack food?

And I once did have a toaster I swore was possessed. Turns out the switch was broken and pop tarts are MUCH more flammable than you'd think.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I made a grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich and there was a "cross" on it.  Looked really cool.  And that sandwich was TASTY!

I mean, I think things like this are neat.  But I've also seen food with really random "symbols" or "shapes" on them all the time.  I think this: If God put a sign on something, I don't think He'd want it to rot!  Maybe he's saying "Eat this yummy sandwich!  I blessed it for you!"  lol  Or, it could just be a coincidence.

\I guess I believe God gives us small signs all the time.  But I don't believe in sensationalizing it, or reading too much into it.  God warns us to be wary of false symbols, false idols, etc.  If I put all my faith into that symbol on my (delicious) grilled peanut butter and jelly, would I be worshipping GOD, or a SANDWICH?

How do you know it would rot  . . . Perhaps that sandwich wouldn't . . .

Just kidding. I never seen anything like this personally. So, I kinda roll my eyes when people make a big deal out of it - but I suppose if it happened to me that' be neat.

I do agree about false idols.  A good decade ago we live in CA. Lighting hit a tree and people saw the Virgin Mary in the charred remains of this tree. For days people flocked to this tree, laid flowers down, prayed etc.  Finally someone came and chopped the tree down, and all the "worshippers" were upset.  The tree was on private property and the owners could have pressed charges on the tree cutter but did not.

To me the CA tree thing was worshipping a false idol - praying before the tree, laying flowers down - that's just wrong IMO. I was glad to hear the tree was gone.

Wait, did you say grilled PB and J?  I don't think I've ever heard of that before - sounds good!.  Do you butter the outsides and grill just like you would a grilled cheese? 

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)