Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

France Makes Contraception and Abortion Free...

Posted by   + Show Post

France Makes Contraception and Abortion Free

france, makes, contraception, and, abortion, free,

France Makes Contraception and Abortion Free

In case you missed it, yesterday marked an exciting new chapter in French reproductive rights.  Thanks to a new law that came into effect on April 1, women no longer have to pay to terminate a pregnancy and minors won't need to use up all their pocket money in order to afford their birth control. Although this sounds too good to be true, it ain't no April Fools.

According to France 24, increasing reproductive justice was one of Fran├žois Hollande's main campaign promises during the past election. Under his new bill, women are now entitled to a full reimbursement for the cost of their abortion and girls aged 15-18 are also guaranteed free birth control (both for the contraceptive pill and the implant).

When the bill passed in October, the Minister of Health, Marisol Touraine, explained that it was a "public health choice" and she took the opportunity to remind people that abortion is "never a trivial act" for women. 

Since increasing access to birth control has consistently shown to reduce abortion rates, French authorities are expecting to see a drop the amount of women requiring abortions now that the law is effective.  For those of you that are already rolling up your sleeves and jumping to the comment section to proclaim that free abortions will increase the incidence of abortions, let me stop you right there.

Access to free, legal and safe abortions does not, has not and will never increase pregnancy termination rates in the long-term. Unlike soda refils, abortion does not become more attractive when it's free. Abortion is not an attractive choice, it's a really difficult one. Abortions aren't like half price easter chocolates, women don't run out and get them because they're on sale (easter chocolate sale? WHERE? WHERE?). They get them because they need them, and that's why the government should be concerned with provinding affordable and safe access to them. 

What do you think about France's new commitment to women's reproductive health?

http://www.policymic.com/articles/32383/france-makes-contraception-and-abortion-free

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the free birth control is a great idea. It will likely pay for itself in the number of abortions no longer sought.
Or are we mad that females are having sex without "paying the price"? which is how someone referred to it in another thread. It shows that they are less concerned for the most precious babies and more worried about women having sex for pleasure without fearing pregnancy. Horrors, the possibility of sex without consequences!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Or think people should pay for their own lives.   But yeah, it is just easier to believe it is to make women pay for having sex.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I think the free birth control is a great idea. It will likely pay for itself in the number of abortions no longer sought.
Or are we mad that females are having sex without "paying the price"? which is how someone referred to it in another thread. It shows that they are less concerned for the most precious babies and more worried about women having sex for pleasure without fearing pregnancy. Horrors, the possibility of sex without consequences!

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Yep. Slut shaming is a big thing now days. People who claim abortions should only be legal for rape, incest or life endangerment are the poster children for slut shaming.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM

awesome sauce

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Because the best way to teach people responsibility is a big fat "I told you so". But I thought we cared about the most precious babies. Don't we want to make it easier for them to born into happy and healthy homes? Or is that kind of thing only important if it doesn't cost anything more than that warm feeling of superiority you get from judging the lives and mistakes of others?

Quoting talia-mom:

Or think people should pay for their own lives.   But yeah, it is just easier to believe it is to make women pay for having sex.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Good for France.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Considering how highly they're taxed, it makes sense that they should be getting something for their money!

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Not nearly as superior as the feeling you get from judging people who think there is nothing wrong with providing for your own life.

But I wouldn't expect anything else from so many on this board.    Thinking women can be responsible is apparently beyond expectations.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Because the best way to teach people responsibility is a big fat "I told you so". But I thought we cared about the most precious babies. Don't we want to make it easier for them to born into happy and healthy homes? Or is that kind of thing only important if it doesn't cost anything more than that warm feeling of superiority you get from judging the lives and mistakes of others?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Mortiferouslatt
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Great idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Those proverbs on charity, loving your neighbor like yourself, and being nonjudgmental seem to have been lost on you.

Quoting talia-mom:

Not nearly as superior as the feeling you get from judging people who think there is nothing wrong with providing for your own life.

But I wouldn't expect anything else from so many on this board.    Thinking women can be responsible is apparently beyond expectations.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)