Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MARYLAND GOVERNOR USES STATE GUN CONTROL VICTORY TO PUSH FOR NATIONAL REFORM

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM
  • 6 Replies
Maryland is the next state set to enact stricter gun legislation in the months following the shooting tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut.The Maryland General Assembly approved a billThursday that bans more than 40 types of assault weapons, limits magazines to 10 bullets, expands the list of mental health patients restricted from buying guns, and requires people who buy a handgun to submit their fingerprints to state police.The victory for gun control advocates comes after Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy signed sweeping new gun legislation into law on Wednesday. The Maryland legislation is now just waiting for Gov. Martin O’Malley’s signature.O’Malley, who proposed the law, used this victory in a fundraising push to national Democrats to get stricter gun control laws passed on the federal level. He referenced the Maryland measure in an email to supporters:“We had to work harder than ever before to pass it into law. The interest groups who oppose actions to reduce gun violence are powerful, entrenched, and well-financed, and they fought us every step of the way in Maryland–just as they’re fighting tooth and nail to block any action at the federal level.”Democratic strategist Chris Kofinis told MSNBC’s Chris Jansing Friday that although gun control advocates are seeing some movement within the states, it’s still very much an uphill battle to get any new legislation through Congress.The Wall Street Journal reports that some senators are now being pushed to filibuster possible new restrictions on guns.“I don’t think we stand in a great place. I think we’ve lost some of the momentum after the Newtown shootings,” said Kofinis. “I can’t imagine they would have thought about filibustering this a month and a half or two months ago.”He added that as more Newtown families go public and talk about their loss, public consciousness about the issue starts to move again.“The families here, and unfortunately that’s the political reality of it, are going to be a key factor in whether these Republicans will move or not.”
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM

It is also going to determine whether these democrats move or not.  While a few states are tightening restrictions, many more are loosening them.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

These people just don't get it. The sort of folks who are going to shoot up a school aren't submitting to background checks in order to *legally* obtain firearms, and the Columbine and Virginia Tech shooters didn't even use assault rifles.

My ex owned a colorful array of assault rifles with contraband clips during the assault weapons ban. Where there is a will, there is a way. What you're going to get is a ton of people with unregistered weapons, and you wont know they have them until it is too late. Making something illegal doesn't make it disappear---haven't we learned this from the "drug war"?

Good going, Democrats. Way to show us that you're just as a much a bunch of morons as the Republicans you like to make fun of.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Quoting radioheid:

These people just don't get it. The sort of folks who are going to shoot up a school aren't submitting to background checks in order to *legally* obtain firearms, and the Columbine and Virginia Tech shooters didn't even use assault rifles.

My ex owned a colorful array of assault rifles with contraband clips during the assault weapons ban. Where there is a will, there is a way. What you're going to get is a ton of people with unregistered weapons, and you wont know they have them until it is too late. Making something illegal doesn't make it disappear---haven't we learned this from the "drug war"?

Good going, Democrats. Way to show us that you're just as a much a bunch of morons as the Republicans you like to make fun of.

Is your ex in jail now? Or hiding out somewhere waiting for the Apocalypse?

radioheid
by Libertarian on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM

No, he is a successful corporate consultant, living a comfortable life in the suburbs. He is also a proud member of the Libertarian Party, like myself.

We all break laws we don't believe are just, whether it be failing to wear a seatbelt, jaywalking, running a garage sale without a permit, smoking marijuana, cohabitating with someone or engaging in sexual acts a state or local legislature has criminalized, or owning a weapon or magazine clip which a silly, fear-mongering government has banned. We're all a bunch of renegades, and the vast, overwhelming majority of us don't hide out in bunkers, waiting for the End Times.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting radioheid:

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM

okie dokie then.....but...all those guns and all that ammo......kinda odd.I know quite a few Libertarians and they are not like your description. You and your DH just sound uncooperative, rebellious and difficult. Are you proud of that? Do you believe in following ANY rules? LOL.

going crazy 

Quoting radioheid:

No, he is a successful corporate consultant, living a comfortable life in the suburbs. He is also a proud member of the Libertarian Party, like myself.

We all break laws we don't believe are just, whether it be failing to wear a seatbelt, jaywalking, running a garage sale without a permit, smoking marijuana, cohabitating with someone or engaging in sexual acts a state or local legislature has criminalized, or owning a weapon or magazine clip which a silly, fear-mongering government has banned. We're all a bunch of renegades, and the vast, overwhelming majority of us don't hide out in bunkers, waiting for the End Times.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting radioheid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured