Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sweeping anti-abortion bill goes to Kansas gov.

Posted by   + Show Post
Friday, April 5, 2013, at the Statehouse, in Topeka, Kan.

By JOHN HANNAThe Associated PressTOPEKA, Kan. —

Kansas legislators gave final passage to a sweeping anti-abortion measure Friday night, sending Gov. Sam Brownback a bill that declares life begins "at fertilization" while blocking tax breaks for abortion providers and banning abortions performed solely because of the baby's sex.The House voted 90-30 for a compromise version of the bill reconciling differences between the two chambers, only hours after the Senate approved it, 28-10. The Republican governor is a strong abortion opponent, and supporters of the measure expect him to sign it into law so that the new restrictions take effect July 1.In addition to the bans on tax breaks and sex-selection abortions, the bill prohibits abortion providers from being involved in public school sex education classes and spells out in more detail what information doctors must provide to patients seeking abortions.The measure's language that life begins "at fertilization" had some abortion-rights supporters worrying that it could be used to legally harass providers. Abortion opponents call it a statement of principle and not an outright ban on terminating pregnancies."The human is a magnificent piece of work at all stages of development, wondrous in every regard, from the microscopic until full development," said Sen. Steve Fitzgerald, a Leavenworth Republican who supported the bill.Abortion opponents argue the full measure lessens the state's entanglement with terminating pregnancies, but abortion-rights advocates say it threatens access to abortion services.The declaration that life begins at fertilization is embodied in "personhood" measures in other states. Such measures are aimed at revising their constitutions to ban all abortions, and none have been enacted, though North Dakota voters will have one on the ballot in 2014.But Kansas lawmakers aren't trying to change the state constitution, and the measure notes that any rights suggested by the language are limited by decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court. It declared in its historic Roe v. Wade decision in 1973 that women have a right to obtain abortions in some circumstances, and has upheld that decision while allowing increasing restrictions by states.Thirteen states, including Missouri, have such language in their laws, according to the National Right to Life Committee.Sen. David Haley, a Kansas Democrat who opposed the bill, zeroed in on the statement, saying that supporters of the bill were pursuing a "Taliban-esque" course of letting religious views dictate policy limiting women's ability to make decisions about health care and whether they'll have children.And in the House, Rep. John Wilson, a Lawrence Democrat, complained that the bill was "about politics, not medicine.""It's the very definition of government intrusion in a woman's personal medical decisions," he said.Brownback has signed multiple anti-abortion measures into law, and the number of pregnancies terminated in the state has declined 11 percent since he took office in January 2011.The governor said he still has to review this year's bill thoroughly but added, "I am pro-life."This year's legislation is less restrictive than a new North Dakota law that bans abortions as early as the sixth week of pregnancy and a new Arkansas law prohibiting most abortions after the 12th week. But many abortion opponents still see it as a significant step."There is a clear statement from Kansas with respect to the judgment on the inherent value of human life," said Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee Chairwoman Mary Pilcher-Cook, a Shawnee Republican and leading advocate for the measure.The bill passed despite any solid data on how many sex-selection abortions are performed in Kansas. A 2008 study by two Columbia University economists suggested the practice of aborting female fetuses — widespread in some nations where parents traditionally prefer sons — is done in the U.S. on a limited basis.But legislators on both sides of the issue said the practice should be banned, however frequent it is.The bill also would require physicians to give women information that addresses breast cancer as a potential risk of abortion. Advocates on both sides acknowledge there's medical evidence that carrying a fetus to term can lower a woman's risk for breast cancer, but doctors convened by the National Cancer Institute a decade ago concluded that abortion does not raise the risk for developing the disease.The provisions dealing with tax breaks are designed to prevent the state from subsidizing abortions, even indirectly. For example, health care providers don't have the pay the state sales tax on items they purchase, but the bill would deny that break to abortion providers. Also, a woman could not include abortion costs if she deducts medical expenses on her income taxes."Every taxpayer will be able to know with certainty that their money is not being used for abortion," Pilcher-Cook said.But Jordan Goldberg, state advocacy counsel for the New York City-based Center for Reproductive Rights, called the tax provisions "appalling and discriminatory.""It's probably, if not definitely unconstitutional, and it's incredibly mean-spirited," she said.
___The anti-abortion legislation is HB 2253.___Associated Press Writer Maria Fisher in Kansas City, Mo., also contributed to this report. Follow John Hanna on Twitter at www.twitter.com/apjdhanna
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I believe if women cant have abortions, especially prostitutes, there will be a bunch of unloved and uncared for children in the world. I think an abortion woukd be best in some situations.
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

So you would die and leave the live child you already have without a mother? 

And how do you know that god didnt give you the choice of abortion to save your life? He works in mysterious you know.

Quoting RobinChristine:

You haven't thought this one out real well, have you?

Yes,I have. I do not have a DD but DH have talked this out,if she were raped she would carry the child and if she did not want to be mom,we would parent the child.

As for me same if  I were raped,I would carry and parent the child. If we had to make a choice abortion or my life,I would not abort. I would put my life in God's hands.

As for a special needs child,that is not a reason to abort,I am already a mom to a special needs son

As for other women as I said IMO abortion equates murder

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I think of it as population control. If abortion was illegal we would be looking like china right now.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I believe if women cant have abortions, especially prostitutes, there will be a bunch of unloved and uncared for children in the world. I think an abortion woukd be best in some situations.

RobinChristine
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

And how do you know that god didnt give you the choice of abortion to save your life? He works in mysterious you know.

Yes He works in mysterious ways. However  He does not condone abortions.  Abortion is me making the conscious choice to kill my unborn baby.   As I said I would place my life in God's hands,it is there every moment I am  alive. He chooses who dies and when,not me. ot for myslf or my unbor child.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Awesome

blondekosmic15
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Quoting AuntieL333:

I have news for some of you who think that by banning abortions we will end abortion, nothing can be further from the truth. What it will do is cause a lot of women to die needlessly by forcing them back into the hands of butchers playing doctors or try to do something about it herself. I do not understand people who want no exceptions to a ban and frankly the whole issue has become very pale, stale and male. Some on the far-right won't be happy until they push thru legislation stating that life begins at the erection.

And your comments reflect someone who has no respect for the most vulnerable of human beings. Banning child molestation, rape, homicide etc has not stopped these violence crimes. According to you society should continue to legalize the killing of unborn children because there will always be those who will have abortions. Shall we apply this reasoning to other violent acts in society such as rape, homicide, child abuse etc!?

Milestones Cover Art

At no time in your life does more growth and change occur than in the first nine months before birth. Here are the amazing milestones of that time in your life:

http://www.abortionfacts.com/literature/milestones-of-early-life

Coat Hanger Abortions Never Happened

Dr. J.C. Willke, Life Issues Institute
Life Issues Connector, July 2000; Reprinted with permission

CLR NOTE: The following information dates back to 2000 and is included for reference purposes only. Search our site for more up-to-date information.

Some time ago I read a letter to the editor in the Wall Street Journal. It was awful. I sent a counter letter and happily, the paper published it as the lead letter.

Here it is:

In her letter, Ellen Schneider speaks of "women so desperate they would allow coat hangers to be inserted into themselves by back-alley doctors... .which often resulted in loss of life for the mother." Such a wild statement requires a factual answer.

As President of the National Right to Life Committee during the decade of the 1980s, as a world traveler and author of books in 28 1anguages, I’ve been lecturing in this field for three decades. During this time, in front of audiences too numerous to mention, I have frequently asked that anyone in the audience who can document a coat hanger abortion to please come to me with that information. In 30 years, I have not had a single person bring roe details of such a case. It is my firm conviction that the entire concept of using a coat hanger is a totally fallacious construct of pro-abortion supporters. Illegal abortions certainly occurred. Contrary to popular opinion, however, only a very few of them were fatal. If any readers know of a confirmed coat hanger incident, please write me.

Prior to legalization of abortion, pro-abortion supporters commonly claimed that there were one million illegal abortions, resulting in 5,000 - 10,000 women dying each year. This claim was made yet one year before the Supreme Court legalized abortion in 1973. Official government statistics that have stood the test of time, however, report only a total of 39 women dying in the entire United States from illegal abortions during the year 1972. In that same year, 25 more women died from legal abortions. It is obvious that the frequently told stories of zillions of women dying, of hospital beds overflowing, etc., are completely without factual foundation.

Let’s look at the late 1950s. Those were the supposed bad old days. All abortions were illegal, and illegal abortionists were alleged to be busy. But in the July 1960 edition of the American Journal of Public Health, there was an article by Dr. Mary Calderone, founder of the Sex Information and Education Council of the U.S. (SIECUS) and medical director of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, in which she stated, "ninety percent of illegal abortions are being done by physicians. Call them what you will, abortionists or anything else, they’re still physicians, trained as such ...they must do a pretty good job if the death rate is as low as it is. Abortion, whether therapeutic or illegal, is in the main, no longer dangerous because it is being done well by physicians."

Let’s hope Ms. Schneider gets her facts straight the next time she writes.

End of my letter.

Several months have passed since this letter to the editor was published in the Wall Street Journal. I requested that readers write me to confirm any stories of coat hanger abortions they know of. To date I have not received a single letter.

I rest my case.

http://www.christianliferesources.com/article/coat-hanger-abortions-never-happened-49

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM
There are other ways to abort. In the late 1800s they would drink poison. In hopes to kill the baby and not them. Almost always it killed them too.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting AuntieL333:

I have news for some of you who think that by banning abortions we will end abortion, nothing can be further from the truth. What it will do is cause a lot of women to die needlessly by forcing them back into the hands of butchers playing doctors or try to do something about it herself. I do not understand people who want no exceptions to a ban and frankly the whole issue has become very pale, stale and male. Some on the far-right won't be happy until they push thru legislation stating that life begins at the erection.

And your comments reflect someone who has no respect for the most vulnerable of human beings. Banning child molestation, rape, homicide etc has not stopped these violence crimes. According to you society should continue to legalize the killing of unborn children because there will always be those who will have abortions. Shall we apply this reasoning to other violent acts in society such as rape, homicide etc!?

Milestones Cover Art

At no time in your life does more growth and change occur than in the first nine months before birth. Here are the amazing milestones of that time in your life:

http://www.abortionfacts.com/literature/milestones-of-early-life

Coat Hanger Abortions Never Happened

Dr. J.C. Willke, Life Issues Institute
Life Issues Connector, July 2000; Reprinted with permission

CLR NOTE: The following information dates back to 2000 and is included for reference purposes only. Search our site for more up-to-date information.

Some time ago I read a letter to the editor in the Wall Street Journal. It was awful. I sent a counter letter and happily, the paper published it as the lead letter.

Here it is:

In her letter, Ellen Schneider speaks of "women so desperate they would allow coat hangers to be inserted into themselves by back-alley doctors... .which often resulted in loss of life for the mother." Such a wild statement requires a factual answer.

As President of the National Right to Life Committee during the decade of the 1980s, as a world traveler and author of books in 28 1anguages, I’ve been lecturing in this field for three decades. During this time, in front of audiences too numerous to mention, I have frequently asked that anyone in the audience who can document a coat hanger abortion to please come to me with that information. In 30 years, I have not had a single person bring roe details of such a case. It is my firm conviction that the entire concept of using a coat hanger is a totally fallacious construct of pro-abortion supporters. Illegal abortions certainly occurred. Contrary to popular opinion, however, only a very few of them were fatal. If any readers know of a confirmed coat hanger incident, please write me.

Prior to legalization of abortion, pro-abortion supporters commonly claimed that there were one million illegal abortions, resulting in 5,000 - 10,000 women dying each year. This claim was made yet one year before the Supreme Court legalized abortion in 1973. Official government statistics that have stood the test of time, however, report only a total of 39 women dying in the entire United States from illegal abortions during the year 1972. In that same year, 25 more women died from legal abortions. It is obvious that the frequently told stories of zillions of women dying, of hospital beds overflowing, etc., are completely without factual foundation.

Let’s look at the late 1950s. Those were the supposed bad old days. All abortions were illegal, and illegal abortionists were alleged to be busy. But in the July 1960 edition of the American Journal of Public Health, there was an article by Dr. Mary Calderone, founder of the Sex Information and Education Council of the U.S. (SIECUS) and medical director of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, in which she stated, "ninety percent of illegal abortions are being done by physicians. Call them what you will, abortionists or anything else, they’re still physicians, trained as such ...they must do a pretty good job if the death rate is as low as it is. Abortion, whether therapeutic or illegal, is in the main, no longer dangerous because it is being done well by physicians."

Let’s hope Ms. Schneider gets her facts straight the next time she writes.

End of my letter.

Several months have passed since this letter to the editor was published in the Wall Street Journal. I requested that readers write me to confirm any stories of coat hanger abortions they know of. To date I have not received a single letter.

I rest my case.

http://www.christianliferesources.com/article/coat-hanger-abortions-never-happened-49

blondekosmic15
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

More than 53 million abortions in America since Roe v Wade Jan 22, 1973.

Tay06
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I really wish everyone who is anti-abortion would just not get abortions themselves and leave the rest of us the Hell alone.  The US is supposed to be the land of the free and yet the government is slowly but surely taking away our rights.  It understand not agreeing with abortion after 12-14 weeks because the fetus gets nerves and can feel by then, but before that, it's an embryo with no nerves.  It's the same thing as a bug or a parasite that cannot feel or live without a host.  It's not a baby.  The person it is living off of is more important than it is at that time.  Let the host have the decision whether it wants the parasite to become a human being, especially if the host was raped.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN