Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would it scare you, if someone else knew everything you dreamed about?

Posted by   + Show Post

Would it scare you, if someone else knew everything you dreamed about?

Scientists are developing a method of reading the minds of sleeping people.

It is early days, but it can already tell with 60% accuracy, using a brain scanner, which category of object (eg "trees", "structures like houses", etc) featured in the dream.

MORE INFO

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
radioheid
by Libertarian on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

This study has a "Minority Report" feeling to it. I don't like that. Must we know everything?

And to answer the original question, yes, it would scare me. My dreams are almost invariably dark and frightening, and I would fear becoming the ward of a psychiatric facility if someone could accurately decipher them. I'm generally the object of pursuit through dark streets lined by abandoned and derelict buildings---sometimes by seedy people whose faces I can never make out, sometimes by wild dogs, sometimes by an unknown and invisible force which gives me a sick feeling of unavoidable doom. If I am not being hunted down, I am engaged in wordless conversation with my dead mother (who is often obviously dead in said dreams), or having sex with punk-looking men in department store fitting rooms or on the rusted out decks of old battleships.

Yes, it is safe to say I want no one with authority to see these dreams. It is a sick movie indeed.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
My dreams are so intense it's like going to a movie theater every single night. The dreams can be so intense, it's not even restful. I'd share my dreams with them only if they could get them to stop.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crazytexan
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM
That's that I was about to post. Been having Stephen King type nightmares for as long as I can remember.

Quoting Donna6503:

It would probably scare them more than me. (I'm use to em now)

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I guess the underlying issue would be what is the information to be used for, and what would come next.
Jennyanne322
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I dream maybe once a month or two that I actually remember it in the morning. I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's only a dream and not real life.
lovelychaos13
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

well if thye found out my dreams then they too would be having nightmares. every night many times a night im trapped in the nightmare of  going through labor having stillbirth after still birth for one reason or another, losing every baby. then theres another nightmare that i labor and birth a normal healthy live baby and demons take it and eat it, im tied down and cant stop it. dh says he has to hold me down in my sleep at times because im fighting and flailing and at time screaming and crying.

we lost  our little girl at 38 weeks last year. she would have been 6 months tomorrow.

headingsouth13
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

a few people would hate me more then they already do

lga1965
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Quoting romalove:

I think it's interesting the people who think their dreams are meaningless or silly and therefore they don't care.

Aside from the fact that this is a window on your subconscious, you don't know how much you are dreaming that you are not remembering, and how not silly and telling those things may be.

I would not be OK with others interpreting my brain waves to decide what I am dreaming/thinking/worrying about without my conscious say-so.

The entire idea is scary to me.

Yeah,I would be angry. There's no way I would allow that to happen. I'm assuming people will volunteer for this. I wouldn't.

My dreams are not especially interesting, not scary, just average stuff. But they are MY subconscious thoughts and experiences so they are private.

dragonqueen
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Why should I be scared or mad? Not many of my dreams reflect who I am what I want or what have you? They are a bunch of random images my mind makes up to create a story most of the time.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

It wouldn't scare me, it would embarrass me. I have really bad anxiety. In the dreams that i remember, i am looking for DH because something scary/bad is about to happen. I don't know what it is, but i know it's terrifying, and i can't find DH to save me. I probably have that dream 4 times a week.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN