Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NC...Another New Worthless Bill...

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 31 Replies

WTF Is Going On In North Carolina? Another New Worthless Bill

2013/04/07
By

I can't make you love me

North Carolina’s proposed, “Healthy Marriage Act,” is amending their current divorce law by extending the hold from a one-year wait to a two-year wait, before a divorce can be final.

Yes. If you live in North Carolina, the Republican government wants all of you — your body, your religion, your voting rights, and your marital status.

They continue to pass horrendous anti-choice laws, one of them forcing a women wanting an abortion to view an ultrasound of the fetus and be lectured on it. They go one step further into, “Are You Kidding Me Land,’ by requesting the this be done four hours before the procedure.

Now, in the last few weeks:

In many divorces, the spouse initiating a divorce has contemplated leaving for an average of two years before taking action. You can’t force people to love each other. And how about a marriage where one spouse is blatantly cheating. Or worse, what about a women –or man – in an emotionally abusive marriage (assuming physical abuse would be cause for exemption.) This law makes it much easier for the abusive partner to control their spouse’s life, finances and happiness for one more year.

What is up with North Carolina?

Explanation: Republicans gained full, veto-proof, control of the North Carolina government after the 2012 elections. They can do whatever they want. And North Carolina citizens are forced to pay for these bozos to come up with bogus, and often unconstitutional, laws. Is there some kind a weekly bill-proposing quota? Do they get paid extra?

This two-year hold on a divorce states:

During the two-year waiting period, the husband and wife have each completed courses on (i) improving communication skills and (ii) conflict resolution. Courses required by this subdivision do not have to be completed together as a couple.

Given how well the NC Republicans are divorcing themselves from the Constitution, basic civil rights, and from sanity, perhaps they can take the same courses in communication skills and conflict resolution. But we’ll take the high road, and exempt them from waiting two years before leaving.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/04/07/wtf-is-going-on-in-north-carolina-another-new-worthless-bill/

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Jesus.  "Small government" my ass.  

TugBoatMama
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

This is just insanity.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

It's completely ridiculous...with all of these other important issues we have going on, these idiots are proposing this crap...

Quoting jessilin0113:

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I'm interested to see who supports this. There are several "government shouldn't legislate morals, unles they are my morals" types on this forum.

Quoting LucyMom08:

It's completely ridiculous...with all of these other important issues we have going on, these idiots are proposing this crap...

Quoting jessilin0113:

tscritch
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

this!

Quoting jessilin0113:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I don't think its a bad idea to require married people to take certain courses prior to divorce. However, 2 years is nuts. I have several friends that thankfully were able to get a very quick divorce for reasons of safety, financial stability, and sanity. I cannot imagine if those friends of mine were stuck in those situations because the gov't decided they needed to be. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I don't think its a bad idea to require married people to take certain courses prior to divorce. However, 2 years is nuts. I have several friends that thankfully were able to get a very quick divorce for reasons of safety, financial stability, and sanity. I cannot imagine if those friends of mine were stuck in those situations because the gov't decided they needed to be. 

this.

I believe that all people who apply for a marriage license should also be given information about divorce requirements.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I don't think the classes are a bad idea, but 'government mandated' classes by the GOP is completely hypocritical...they scream about small government...how does this claim to be small government?

And I completely agree with the rest of your comment...

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I do t care who they are mandated by. The classes I have in mind are more geared toward couples with children. It has zero to do with my faith or Registered Party. I think all couples should have to go through some kind of classes in order to have more information on how to deal with these situations. There are so many ugly divorces and breakups these days, and if kiddos are involved, they are the true victims. A lot of times the adults cannot see the forest before the trees in their anger. KWIM? 

Quoting LucyMom08:

I don't think the classes are a bad idea, but 'government mandated' classes by the GOP is completely hypocritical...they scream about small government...how does this claim to be small government?

And I completely agree with the rest of your comment...

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Dumbasses.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)