Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NC...Another New Worthless Bill...

Posted by   + Show Post

WTF Is Going On In North Carolina? Another New Worthless Bill

2013/04/07
By

I can't make you love me

North Carolina’s proposed, “Healthy Marriage Act,” is amending their current divorce law by extending the hold from a one-year wait to a two-year wait, before a divorce can be final.

Yes. If you live in North Carolina, the Republican government wants all of you — your body, your religion, your voting rights, and your marital status.

They continue to pass horrendous anti-choice laws, one of them forcing a women wanting an abortion to view an ultrasound of the fetus and be lectured on it. They go one step further into, “Are You Kidding Me Land,’ by requesting the this be done four hours before the procedure.

Now, in the last few weeks:

In many divorces, the spouse initiating a divorce has contemplated leaving for an average of two years before taking action. You can’t force people to love each other. And how about a marriage where one spouse is blatantly cheating. Or worse, what about a women –or man – in an emotionally abusive marriage (assuming physical abuse would be cause for exemption.) This law makes it much easier for the abusive partner to control their spouse’s life, finances and happiness for one more year.

What is up with North Carolina?

Explanation: Republicans gained full, veto-proof, control of the North Carolina government after the 2012 elections. They can do whatever they want. And North Carolina citizens are forced to pay for these bozos to come up with bogus, and often unconstitutional, laws. Is there some kind a weekly bill-proposing quota? Do they get paid extra?

This two-year hold on a divorce states:

During the two-year waiting period, the husband and wife have each completed courses on (i) improving communication skills and (ii) conflict resolution. Courses required by this subdivision do not have to be completed together as a couple.

Given how well the NC Republicans are divorcing themselves from the Constitution, basic civil rights, and from sanity, perhaps they can take the same courses in communication skills and conflict resolution. But we’ll take the high road, and exempt them from waiting two years before leaving.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/04/07/wtf-is-going-on-in-north-carolina-another-new-worthless-bill/

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
HaleyCovington
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Really? My DH divorced in NC and a 1 year legal separation was required. It was in the divorce papers and everything. I wonder how they got around it.

Quoting x_Starr_x:

its not really inforced my friend left her husband and 2 mo later got a divorce they both resided in nc and this was a little over a yr ago.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Can you find decent news sources for a story? 

Really?  Addictinginfo blog?

People have been asking all week why conservatives, especially Christians thought divorce should be legal/easy while not recognizing same sex relationships as marriage, calling it inconsistent.

Well, here ya go. 

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM

The link to the bill is helpfully provided in the main source.  The word "states" in the last paragraph is hyperlinked.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

People have been asking all week why conservatives, especially Christians thought divorce should be legal/easy while not recognizing same sex relationships as marriage, calling it inconsistent.

Well, here ya go. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Why don't you cut and paste an actual news source instead of link to someone's ridiculously biased rant?  I never understand when people do that.  It forces others to go to actual sources to see what it is really about, because the ranter rarely makes sense. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

The link to the bill is helpfully provided in the main source.  The word "states" in the last paragraph is hyperlinked.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

Well, here ya go. 

Cubanmom84
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Wow... that is rediculious ... next they might force you to stay in the marriage wheather you like it or not..

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM
This was my first thought.

But since its a state law, apparently that's small enough. *eye roll*

Quoting jessilin0113:

Jesus.  "Small government" my ass.  

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM

It looks like the lawmakers in NC think they know what is best for everyone. They're like overprotective, controlling parents , making decisions for 5 years olds. What a joke. Most of them have messed up lives and warped values but they think THEY have the ability to tell people how to live and make laws to enforce these things?????

I am so glad I left NC in 2004.

Whew.....

WTH?

Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I think people use marriage like a revolving door. There is no commitment anymore! Marriage is not easy. Divorce affects many people in your inner circle. I think it should require a waiting period before.
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Stupid

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I'm assuming the OP like and agreed with the opinion of the blogger and wanted to share.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Why don't you cut and paste an actual news source instead of link to someone's ridiculously biased rant?  I never understand when people do that.  It forces others to go to actual sources to see what it is really about, because the ranter rarely makes sense. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Well, here ya go. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured