Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

You want me to go through this crap x6?

Posted by   + Show Post

This weekend I flew to NY from TX. I have a service dog who is a Pit Bull and Delta was giving me shit about it so I had to ship him with another company. Whatever. As long as he was there. Problem is that the company had to fly him to JFK airport, instead of LGA where I was going. Once again, no issue we would just drive there and then pick him up.  Well the rent-a-car place was a little hesitant about letting a dog ride but then they relented when I told him he was a service dog and is very well behaved. So we get the car and we go to JFK where we have to go into the cargo area to get the dog. They ask me to fill out a form and ask me what I am there for. I told them I am coming to get my dog. They said okay. I did not know that they had to "check" the contents of the crate before releasing him to me. I have never really seen them do that (I always assume they do that before the dog is put on the plane). Instead of handing me the crate and letting me get my dog out of the crate and settled in and then checking the crate for drugs and what have you, they poised themselves around the crate with catch poles and dragged him out like some sort of vicious animal so he started crying. Which made me freak out and try to push through them so I can get him. Then he saw me and started getting anxious and started trying to pull towards me so they all started screaming and acting very unprofessional. There was another lady in there picking up her dog and none of this happened to her dog. I actually started to tear up because they were yanking my dog around and clearly hurting him.  

Finally they give me my dog, after I start crying like an infant and my SO told them to give me my damn dog and keep the crate, and he is shaking like a leaf. My dog doesn't shake, ever. He was terrified and wound up throwing up once we put him in the car. 

The lady who was in there picking up her dog did see and called the Airport's hotline and complained immediately and gave my dog one of her dog's biscuts.  I called to complain later on in the day after I got home.

I am moving from TX to NY in the summer this is the precise reason why I am driving. 3 Pit Bulls, A Boston, A Border Collie and a Jack Russell would be to much for the morons over in cargo. LaGuardia is much better but I am not risking it. Besides 2 of my dogs really can't fly anyway.

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Why wouldn't they allow a service dog to be with you?

tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry that happened to you both. There was no reason for them to do that to your trained service dog.  I think I would also contact a lawyer if i were you.

Shoota
by Lauren on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Poor baby! i would have flipped out. I go into mama bear mode. I cant believe they treated that poor dog like that.

EmilysMom2010
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Awww. :-( poor puppy. I feel terrible for him! I'm sorry you guys had to go through that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Why wouldn't they allow a service dog to be with you?

My guess is the controversy. There has been a lot of talk about what breeds 'can' be registered as service dogs. I know that some counties in various states have banned, or have tried to ban particular breeds and that includes pit bulls.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

That is messed up and by law they can not refuse to let your dog fly with you. I would be filing a shit ton of complaints

AMBG825
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:33 AM

If they denied you the use of your service dog you have grounds for a lawsuit. I'd be talking to a lawyer.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I would be WAY beyond pissed.

AliKatAK47
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I never knew he could. Usually he flies cargo and they meet me at the exit of the plane with him. Next time he will fly with me.

Quoting Mipsy:

If he's a service dag, by law they have to allow the dog on the plane and sitting with you at your feet or on you etc. So I'd be threatening a lawsuit personally.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

That is so messed up. Isn't there something that protects a service dog from idiots? I mean even if he wasn't a service dog he still didn't deserve to be treated like that, but the fact that he was a service dog, there should be some kind of policy. I don't know. I would definitely file a major complaint.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)