Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New North Carolina Bill Threatens To Tax Parents If Their College Student Votes

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM
  • 44 Replies

New North Carolina Bill Threatens To Tax Parents If Their College Student Votes

2013/04/07

Though Republican voter suppression attempts in 2012 failed to provide a Republican president, the red state of North Carolina clearly had its way. And now right-wing NC lawmakers have a new trick up their sleeve. Along with trying to suppress the black, Latino, low income, and elderly vote, they are now going for the student youth vote. And they aim to hit hard – and deep – into the cash pockets of the student’s parents.

Why students? Because students represent much of the 18-29 age voting bracket. In 2012, 60% of the youth voted for Obama and 36% for Romney. Many students are turned off by the negative Republican views on same-sex marriage, abortion and contraception.

North Carolina Republicans, who now have veto-proof majority in both chambers, might be able to get away with this one.

This new bill is crafty, and spearheaded by Senator Bill Crook, I mean, Cook (who won his 2012 seat by a mere 21 votes). His bill ties the student’s voter registration, to the taxes and finances of the student’s parents.

Basically, if the student registers to vote at their college address rather than their parent’s out-of-state address, the parents would lose the right to claim the student as a dependent. That child’s tax deduction is what helps many parents pay for their child’s college education. So, essentially, this bill would seek to encourage the parents of out-of-state students (who are already paying much higher tuition fees) to discourage their child from voting in the state of their campus. The student would either have to opt out of voting, vote by absentee ballot from the parent’s state, or go ahead and vote in the campus state, causing the parent’s a large tax increase. This is what voter suppression looks like.

A North Carolina Tea Party paper, Beaufort Observer, reports a very smug statement by The Voter Integrity Project:

“We’ve gotten a bill into the Senate that Progressives are going to hate almost more than they hate Voter ID”

Below that statement, a commenter wrote, and I have to quote because I couldn’t have said it better:

“By removing a student from their parents (sic) tax deduction because they chose to vote at their college, you are, essentially charging a fee to vote. By the same token, our soldiers in Iraq should have to pay if they choose to vote from there. This is a tax increase. When did the Republican Party become in favor of tax increases? Why not just sell tickets at the voting booth? Money raised could help reduce the deficit. The arrogance of these actions is unbelievable.~Lyle Leuck

Senator Crook, I mean Cook, also proposes:

• Cutting early voting in half (thus creating longer lines)
  • Eliminating voting on Sundays (the day that most lower/middle income folks have off)
  • Eliminate same day register and voting
  • Require a new state-issued ID, never required before and that thousands of people do not have – (This bill was shot down in 2011, but get ready for a second round. The News & Observer reports that 53 percent of the registered voters who lack a state-issued form of photo identification are Democrats and 25 percent are over the age of 65. While African-Americans represent about 22 percent of registered voters in North Carolina, they make up 30 percent of registered voters who lack photo identification.)

Having won his seat by only 21 votes, one can see why Senator Crook, I mean Cook, would be worried about losing more votes.

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM
6 moms liked this
Places to stay away from: Arizona, Florida, and North Carolina.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Waiting to hear from those who are for this..........

tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Can they even do this?  I mean... how can you tax someone for a vote by their child-- especially if that child is over their majority?

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmm I can't shake this 24th Amendment feeling I get; when I start to read this post.

I wonder why

:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM
No one is being taxed.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Can they even do this?  I mean... how can you tax someone for a vote by their child-- especially if that child is over their majority?

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM
And while I get it, I think it is stupid.
tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

But they are going to try to screw the parents out of their deduction, therefore, they are being taxed.  Splitting hairs is not an attractive trait.

Quoting talia-mom:

No one is being taxed.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Wait most lower income people have Sunday off? I don't believe that for a second. Most lower income people do not work at jobs that have "banker" hours and days. Also if the kid is not a resident of NC wouldn't they be voting in their home state not NC?

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Also how would they void the deduction if it is a federal deduction and a state deductions from a state not NC?

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM
So they raised taxes by letting the SS holiday expire?--

Not getting a deduction doesn't mean your taxes were raised.

They aren't. They are just going back.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

But they are going to try to screw the parents out of their deduction, therefore, they are being taxed.  Splitting hairs is not an attractive trait.

Quoting talia-mom:

No one is being taxed.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN