Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Babies Contract Herpes from Rabbi after Circumcision

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 142 Replies

Contraction: The ultra-Orthodox practice of metzitzah b'peh requires a practitioner to orally suck the baby's penis to 'cleanse' the open wound following its circumcision, making them susceptible to the virus (file photo)

Two more infants have been infected with a deadly herpes virus in the last three months after undergoing a controversial religious oral circumcision in New York City.

The latest cases bring the count to 13 infants since 2000, two of which suffered brain damage and two died from the virus which can rapidly spread throughout its body.

The ultra-Orthodox Jewish practice of metzitzah b'peh requires a practitioner to orally suck the baby's penis to 'cleanse' the open wound following its circumcision, making them susceptible to the virus.

The department of health says one of the latest infants to contract the virus developed a fever and a lesion on its scrotum, seven days after the procedure. The boy later tested positive for HSV-1. That virus differs from HSV-2, the genital herpes, which is contracted during sexual intercourse.

'A herpes infection in a newborn baby has the risk of leading to severe illness and death,' Jay Varma, deputy commissioner for disease control at the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene told ABC News. Full article Here.

Should this practice still be allowed or should it be banned?

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Disgusting.

Sad.

specialwingz
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Wasn't this posted sometime last week?  I've been to many a Bris.  And, I've NEVER seen a Rabbi kiss the little boy's penis.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Disgusting.

Sad.

I, personally, don't understand how this isn't viewed as sexual abuse. I know it isn't "meant" to be sexual abuse but in any other sitting a grown man sucking a baby's penis would be considered sexual abuse and illegal.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Disgusting.

Sad.

I, personally, don't understand how this isn't viewed as sexual abuse. I know it isn't "meant" to be sexual abuse but in any other sitting a grown man sucking a baby's penis would be considered sexual abuse and illegal.

It seems more than obvious to me that this 'practice' should be banned.

It may not be intended to be sexual abuse but it is indeed causing issues for young infants that could otherwise be avoided.  And should be avoided.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM
When DS has his bris, there was no sucking. It's done by a small faction of mohels who are very orthodox. Most are not done this way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM
3 moms liked this
I think infant circumcision should be illegal...
This should be sexual abuse and all of these sick fucks along with the parents who allow it, need to be thrown in jail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
viv212
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Well at least the parents know the risks. If they still choose to go this route than it's on them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this

WTF? I'm all for religious freedom but this is disgusting.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Disgusting! Religion should never trump individuals human rights!
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting specialwingz:

Wasn't this posted sometime last week?  I've been to many a Bris.  And, I've NEVER seen a Rabbi kiss the little boy's penis.

This article was just written 2 days ago and it's happened before so there might have been another article. This makes the 13th baby to be infected. Two have actually died now. The Rabbi didn't kiss the baby's penis. He sucked the blood off of his penis. Not all Rabbi's follow this practice. Thankfully.

What I find the most disturbing is the parents refuse to say who the Rabbi was so the Dept of Health can step in. This Rabbi should NEVER perform this practice on another infant. He carries a virus that he can keep passing on to other babies and possibly kill them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN