Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Babies Contract Herpes from Rabbi after Circumcision

Posted by   + Show Post

Contraction: The ultra-Orthodox practice of metzitzah b'peh requires a practitioner to orally suck the baby's penis to 'cleanse' the open wound following its circumcision, making them susceptible to the virus (file photo)

Two more infants have been infected with a deadly herpes virus in the last three months after undergoing a controversial religious oral circumcision in New York City.

The latest cases bring the count to 13 infants since 2000, two of which suffered brain damage and two died from the virus which can rapidly spread throughout its body.

The ultra-Orthodox Jewish practice of metzitzah b'peh requires a practitioner to orally suck the baby's penis to 'cleanse' the open wound following its circumcision, making them susceptible to the virus.

The department of health says one of the latest infants to contract the virus developed a fever and a lesion on its scrotum, seven days after the procedure. The boy later tested positive for HSV-1. That virus differs from HSV-2, the genital herpes, which is contracted during sexual intercourse.

'A herpes infection in a newborn baby has the risk of leading to severe illness and death,' Jay Varma, deputy commissioner for disease control at the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene told ABC News. Full article Here.

Should this practice still be allowed or should it be banned?

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Replies (141-142):
MWood18
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this
this is sick and very sad. I don't see how any parent could circumcise at all, never mind this awful practice!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucky2785
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Sorry, I lived on a street spelled "moorman" people would try to correct me in the spelling,cause its pronounced the same...

Quoting Raintree:

'moorman'?

Quoting lucky2785:

It's fundamentalist moormans beliefs to marry young girls off to older men.......still illegal.

I know this is not the norm Jewish tradition. Any parent who would allow anyone to put their mouth on their sons penis, does not deserve to be parents.

Quoting Della529:

Look, don't blame me for bringing up religious beliefs and the laws which protect them.

Just how much do you know or understand about Jewish Law or rituals?

Quoting mommysangelface:

based on the LAW!

a grown man putting his mouth on a baby's private parts?

that is sexual abuse/misconduct, at the least. 

would you be ok with a grown man doing that to your child?

even the health department has stepped

next the need to look into other things.  

people rip the catholic church(example) for adult men doing things to children. and yet here is a prime example. 

bullshit that its been done for years

yes circumcision is a religious practice but there is no religious practice that i am aware of that requires a grown man putting his mouth on the private parts of a baby 

Quoting Della529:

Based on whose religious beliefs?

Quoting mommysangelface:

um maybe he should keep his mouth of of babies private parts

-__-

Quoting Della529:

Perhaps the Rabbi who is to perform this ritual should be tested before he is allowed to touch the child?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN