Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Faces Of American Poverty...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

America‚Äôs poor are, unfortunately, often out of sight and out of mind. In the tradition of groundbreaking photojournalists like Jacob Riis, Dorothea Lange and Walker Evans, a group of photojournalists working today have brought their work together at AmericanPoverty.org to ‚Äúdispel stereotypes and encourage actions that can create lasting impact in the lives of disadvantaged people.‚ÄĚ This slideshow showcases some of their work.

http://billmoyers.com/content/slideshow-poverty-in-todays-america/

http://americanpoverty.org/partners/about-us/

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I'm fighting depression ATM so ill just bump your post.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM
5 moms liked this

from the National Low Income Housing Coalition; they found that there in not a single community in America where someone making minimum wage can afford to pay fair market rent for housing.....

Not a single city...

Nolanzo
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:02 AM
1 mom liked this
There is something so very wrong with that. How sad.

Quoting LucyMom08:

from the National Low Income Housing Coalition; they found that there in not a single community in America where someone making minimum wage can afford to pay fair market rent for housing.....

Not a single city...

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:08 AM
5 moms liked this
Get ready to get a bunch of, "They should have worked harder and done more with their lives".... And, "They deserve every penny they get and nothing more because they did not work hard enough".
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Get ready to get a bunch of, "They should have worked harder and done more with their lives".... And, "They deserve every penny they get and nothing more because they did not work hard enough".

Thats what I was thinking....the "they didnt try hard enough" crowd.  Or the "I dont give a shit...I shouldnt have to help them!"

briellesmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:54 AM
:(

Quoting LucyMom08:

Not a single city...

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Those photos were heartwrenching.  the kids holding the Please help us pay for moms funeral was particularly heart breaking :-(

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't watch the slideshow because I think it will make me too upset.

The discussion here on minimum wage and affording rent is troublesome.  Is minimum wage supposed to support a family or pay the rent?  Can it?  What do you do about the people who don't need a job to pay the rent, but are teenagers or adults who supplement someone else's income?  Do we have a separate teen wage?  Wouldn't that disadvantage adults who need work?

It's not a cut and dried, simple answer problem.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

The discussion here on minimum wage and affording rent is troublesome.  Is minimum wage supposed to support a family or pay the rent?  Can it?  What do you do about the people who don't need a job to pay the rent, but are teenagers or adults who supplement someone else's income?  Do we have a separate teen wage?  Wouldn't that disadvantage adults who need work?

Its quite easy IMO.

Our minimum wage is age appropriate as well as dependant on the industry...We have levels of workers which equates to experience, this is retail / fast food.....  It has three levels and a 4th which is equivalent to a supervisory position.

A weekly wage for a level one 21yo is $666.10 for a 38hr week  

A level three $725.00

Age goes up in increments

14-15yo 40% of weekly wage goes up 10% for every year until 90% for a 20yo

A casual worker gets + 25%  so as a level one approx $725.00 a week.

It is livable...it is worth working for even though our welfare payments are quite livable too.

I believe minimum wage should cover basic living expenses. 

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting romalove:

Its quite easy IMO.

Our minimum wage is age appropriate as well as dependant on the industry...We have levels of workers which equates to experience, this is retail / fast food.....  It has three levels and a 4th which is equivalent to a supervisory position.

A weekly wage for a level one 21yo is $666.10 for a 38hr week  

A level three $725.00

Age goes up in increments

14-15yo 40% of weekly wage goes up 10% for every year until 90% for a 20yo

A casual worker gets + 25%  so as a level one approx $725.00 a week.

It is livable...it is worth working for even though our welfare payments are quite livable too.

I believe minimum wage should cover basic living expenses. 

You can't compare where you live with America.

I'll go further than that.

You can't compare New York with Mississippi with North Dakota with Arizona.

What I mean by that is, regards NZ comparison to USA, the size difference and population difference is massive.  But to take it further, among the states there are huge disparities in income levels and what those incomes buy.  Minimum wage in Mississippi will buy you far more than minimum wage in New Jersey would.  

It is a very complicated issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured