Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

America‚Äôs poor are, unfortunately, often out of sight and out of mind. In the tradition of groundbreaking photojournalists like Jacob Riis, Dorothea Lange and Walker Evans, a group of photojournalists working today have brought their work together at AmericanPoverty.org to ‚Äúdispel stereotypes and encourage actions that can create lasting impact in the lives of disadvantaged people.‚ÄĚ This slideshow showcases some of their work.

http://billmoyers.com/content/slideshow-poverty-in-todays-america/

http://americanpoverty.org/partners/about-us/

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (31-40):
Nolanzo
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I don't know, mama. I wish I had the answers.

I know here, in NY, there is a proposal to raise minimum from 7.25 to 8.45. Big Corporation is up in arms and fighting this legislation tooth and nail and threatening to lay off thousands of workers.

Why?

I think we all know why. They claim to not be able to afford the increase in operating costs, but the way I see it, its cutting into their bottom line and decreasing profit margins.

Stockholders don't like it. Executives don't like it. And Operations Managers absolutely panic when corporate comes down hammering them with hourly budget decreases and they have to scramble trying to figure out how to run an entire manufacturing plant with less people while avoiding overtime payments.

And who suffers? John Q. Worker trying to support a family and keep from having to sleep in the car or on the sidewalk.

Its pitiful and atrocious when you can see the big picture for what it is, isn't it?

And if you live in an economically depressed area with little to no job growth like I do, you are FIGHTING for that minimum wage job.

Min wage full time here in Buffalo will get you a seedy motel room on the East Side. Not a place i would ever set foot without wearing a titanium suit of armor. It will not get you an apartment or even an efficiency unless you are willing to have roommates.

Its truly a sad state of affairs, and it really is little wonder at all why people would rather remain on public assistance and Section 8 rental help... think about it. You're guaranteed income and guaranteed not to be evicted. Its little wonder.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Tell me about it!  So, what is it going to take to fix this?  That is what I would like to know... how is it possible for minimum wage to be as low as it is and not have people up in arms and demanding a change?

Quoting Nolanzo:

There is something so very wrong with that. How sad.

Quoting LucyMom08:

from the National Low Income Housing Coalition; they found that there in not a single community in America where someone making minimum wage can afford to pay fair market rent for housing.....

Not a single city...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this

You nailed it...

And I cringe when I hear comments like "businesses are entitled to a profit and should not be punished for making money"...yes, I do agree to a point, but we are all human beings, and business should NOT be allowed to extort their employees...especially when those employees are the backbone of the entire operation...

It's disgusting...and we just pander to these companies, and give them anything they want, so they don't move to a different market...they have us all by our collective short and curlies, and take full advantage of that fact...

Quoting Nolanzo:

I don't know, mama. I wish I had the answers.

I know here, in NY, there is a proposal to raise minimum from 7.25 to 8.45. Big Corporation is up in arms and fighting this legislation tooth and nail and threatening to lay off thousands of workers.

Why?

I think we all know why. They claim to not be able to afford the increase in operating costs, but the way I see it, its cutting into their bottom line and decreasing profit margins.

Stockholders don't like it. Executives don't like it. And Operations Managers absolutely panic when corporate comes down hammering them with hourly budget decreases and they have to scramble trying to figure out how to run an entire manufacturing plant with less people while avoiding overtime payments.

And who suffers? John Q. Worker trying to support a family and keep from having to sleep in the car or on the sidewalk.

Its pitiful and atrocious when you can see the big picture for what it is, isn't it?

And if you live in an economically depressed area with little to no job growth like I do, you are FIGHTING for that minimum wage job.

Min wage full time here in Buffalo will get you a seedy motel room on the East Side. Not a place i would ever set foot without wearing a titanium suit of armor. It will not get you an apartment or even an efficiency unless you are willing to have roommates.

Its truly a sad state of affairs, and it really is little wonder at all why people would rather remain on public assistance and Section 8 rental help... think about it. You're guaranteed income and guaranteed not to be evicted. Its little wonder.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Tell me about it!  So, what is it going to take to fix this?  That is what I would like to know... how is it possible for minimum wage to be as low as it is and not have people up in arms and demanding a change?

Quoting Nolanzo:

Quoting LucyMom08:

from the National Low Income Housing Coalition; they found that there in not a single community in America where someone making minimum wage can afford to pay fair market rent for housing.....

Not a single city...

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I recently heard that the buying power of the current minimum wage is equivalent to the cost of living in the 1970s. In other words it hasn't adjusted with the cost of living for 40 years.  It's no wonder you can't live off of it. 

Quoting Nolanzo:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Not a single city...

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Not everyone is college material. Some people have lower end IQ's. That's not to say they're mentally retarded or developmentally disabled but they're not capable of complicated work. Would you rather these people didn't work at all? Would you rather they live in public assistance? Don't they deserve to be able to earn a living

Years ago I worked in a call center, I wasn't making minimum wage but it was a low paying job. I was struck by how many former truck drivers worked there. I came to learn a lot of them had back and knee problems from be bounced and jostled in large trucks over many years. They were no longer able to drive a truck or do any physical type of work which would have paid more. Would you rather they cheated the system and collect disability than try to earn an honest living? 

You can scoff at minimum wage workers but they are working and typically at jobs where they are expected to do the work of more than one worker with little to no benefits. They don't get paid sick days or vacation days or benefits. I can't fathom why you think working people should be treated this way? There are a lot of minimum wage workers busting their butts, on their feet and working harder than some higher paid postiions and have nothing to show for it. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Minimum wage is a starter salary.

Kids make minimum wage, if one is an adult trying to live off minimum wage, they have bigger problems than their wage.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Not a single city...

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Doubtful-

But if true, and they are still working minimum wage entry level jobs - they are even less competent than I originally thought.

Quoting KreatingMe:

Not everyone is college material. Some people have lower end IQ's. That's not to say they're mentally retarded or developmentally disabled but they're not capable of complicated work. Would you rather these people didn't work at all? Would you rather they live in public assistance? Don't they deserve to be able to earn a living

Years ago I worked in a call center, I wasn't making minimum wage but it was a low paying job. I was struck by how many former truck drivers worked there. I came to learn a lot of them had back and knee problems from be bounced and jostled in large trucks over many years. They were no longer able to drive a truck or do any physical type of work which would have paid more. Would you rather they cheated the system and collect disability than try to earn an honest living? 

You can scoff at minimum wage workers but they are working and typically at jobs where they are expected to do the work of more than one worker with little to no benefits. They don't get paid sick days or vacation days or benefits. I can't fathom why you think working people should be treated this way? There are a lot of minimum wage workers busting their butts, on their feet and working harder than some higher paid postiions and have nothing to show for it. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Kids make minimum wage, if one is an adult trying to live off minimum wage, they have bigger problems than their wage.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Not a single city...

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Do you honestly think there is enough need in our economy to offer every adult a good paying job? One with enough income to live off and support a family? 

I find it odd that you would suggest people can't get a better job because of their work ethic. Let's take some of these high paid people working cushy desk jobs and put them in a minimum wage postiion and see how long they last. One thing you left off your list was ability. Not everyone is college material or is able to master the skills and training needed for higher paying jobs. 

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I didn't watch it either -- for the same exact reason....

And I definitely agree with you about minimum wage.  There is a reason why minimum wage jobs only pay minimum wage... a lot of those jobs are more geared towards like you said a teen or college student working his way through school.  But, when people can not get a "better job" due to 1)their work ethic 2)their background or 3)their schooling what other jobs are they suppose to get?

I don't think minimum wage was ever set up with supporting a family of four in mind....

Quoting romalove:

I can't watch the slideshow because I think it will make me too upset.

The discussion here on minimum wage and affording rent is troublesome.  Is minimum wage supposed to support a family or pay the rent?  Can it?  What do you do about the people who don't need a job to pay the rent, but are teenagers or adults who supplement someone else's income?  Do we have a separate teen wage?  Wouldn't that disadvantage adults who need work?

It's not a cut and dried, simple answer problem.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM

There probably isn't to be honest with you.... so, what would you suggest instead?

The people I was referring to as far as people not getting a job because or work ethic are those that choose to sit hom on either PA/Disability/Unemployment instead of getting a job that may be "beneath" them or simply because they don't want to be bothered to work.  There are people out there like that... you can't tell me there is not.

You are correct, I did leave ability off the list, but the post I replied to at first was talking not about the "breadwinner" of the family, it was talking about a person that works to supplement some one else's income.  In that instance I think of either teens or adults that like you state are not able to master certain skills and training needed for the higher paying jobs.

Quoting KreatingMe:

Do you honestly think there is enough need in our economy to offer every adult a good paying job? One with enough income to live off and support a family? 

I find it odd that you would suggest people can't get a better job because of their work ethic. Let's take some of these high paid people working cushy desk jobs and put them in a minimum wage postiion and see how long they last. One thing you left off your list was ability. Not everyone is college material or is able to master the skills and training needed for higher paying jobs. 

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I didn't watch it either -- for the same exact reason....

And I definitely agree with you about minimum wage.  There is a reason why minimum wage jobs only pay minimum wage... a lot of those jobs are more geared towards like you said a teen or college student working his way through school.  But, when people can not get a "better job" due to 1)their work ethic 2)their background or 3)their schooling what other jobs are they suppose to get?

I don't think minimum wage was ever set up with supporting a family of four in mind....

Quoting romalove:

I can't watch the slideshow because I think it will make me too upset.

The discussion here on minimum wage and affording rent is troublesome.  Is minimum wage supposed to support a family or pay the rent?  Can it?  What do you do about the people who don't need a job to pay the rent, but are teenagers or adults who supplement someone else's income?  Do we have a separate teen wage?  Wouldn't that disadvantage adults who need work?

It's not a cut and dried, simple answer problem.

Shoota
by Lauren on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Then I guess people will just live off PA and you'll have to pay for it anyway. OR we could try and work together to solve the problem instead of insulting people. Simply calling them dumb doesn't make the problem go away.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Doubtful-

But if true, and they are still working minimum wage entry level jobs - they are even less competent than I originally thought.

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Not a single city...

PamR
by Pam on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

People can find themselves in the position of working minimum wage for so many reasons - how many women who stayed home to raise children suddenly find themselves in need of work because of divorce or the death of a spouse?  Someone who loses their job and needs any kind of work?  People who just never had the opportunity to get job training or a good education to help them do better? 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Doubtful-

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Not a single city...

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Why is that doubtful?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Doubtful-

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Not a single city...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)