Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ohio school sends kindergartner home over mohawk haircut

Ohio school sends kindergartner home over mohawk haircut Published April 07, 2013 FoxNews.com An Ohio kindergartner was forced to stay home from class after a school district said he couldn’t attend – because of his mohawk haircut. Officials from the Clark Shawnee School District in Springfield, Ohio, sent 5-year-old Ethan Clos home on Wednesday, saying his haircut was a disturbance to teachers and students in the classroom, WHIO TV 7 reports. Superintendent Gregg Morris said the mohawk haircut violated district rules on dress and grooming that is disruptive to the education process. Clos’ mom, Keshia Castle, told WHIO TV 7 that her son got the haircut because he thought it was “cool,” adding that other students were interested in it after his class returned from spring break. Clos will return to school Monday with a shaved head. Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/07/ohio-school-sends-kindergartner-home-over-mohawk-haircut/?test=latestnews#ixzz2PsUPA1EF
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Replies (41-49):
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Rules are rules...even stupid ones like this
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I think a rule against a mohawk is over the top but a dress code is a dress code.  Going to the news is ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as them using it for a story.

The best way to handle it would be to address the school about it and advocate for her position.  School isn't a democracy.  Kids have to follow the rules.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Why parents continue to do this stuff when they know they are intentionally allowing their children to break the rules I will never understand. Smh. There a lot of dress code rules I find absolutely ridiculous. Especially for where I live. However, I would never send my girls to school knowing I was fully breaking the laid out rules I signed. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Seriously?

While I think the rules are stupid... This lady should have read the dress code and needs to stop complaining to the media.

My son has a Mohawk. His school allows it as long as its not taller than 3inches and a natural color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:12 AM
From their dress code:

"Length of boys’ hair shall not be longer than that which would extend below the bottom of a dress shirt collar and extend below the eyebrows. A portion of both ears must be exposed. Ponytails, rubber bands, tie-ups, etc., are not permitted. Mohawks of any kind are not permitted."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Yep!

Quoting emelymac:

A rule is a rule. Save the mohawk for the summer time. 

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Buckeye girl here myself. If it's part of the dress code than it was pretty silly for the parents to get upset or for the local news to cover it. However, being from a small town, it would have made news here too. Funny how the "news" leaves out the dress code part.

Quoting RobinChristine:

I live in Ohio,it is part of our dress code no mohawks

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The dictator's favourite apologist:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)