Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Orrin Hatch wants gay couples to have the same rights...

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/08/orrin-hatch-civil-unions_n_3036685.html

Orrin Hatch Endorses Civil Unions For Gay Couples To Preserve 'Traditional Marriage'

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) is not joining the ranks of his fellow senators who have come out in recent days and endorsedmarriage equality. But he is backing civil unions for same-sex couples, saying he believes it could be a way to preserve "traditional marriage" for heterosexual couples.

In an interview with Utah radio stationKVNU on Wednesday, Hatch said he does not believe individuals choose to be gay, but he still "draw[s] the line on traditional marriage."

"I'll say this, I do believe this could be solved greatly by a civil union law that wouldgive gay people the same rights as married people," said Hatch, mentioning hospital visitation rights and tax benefits. "I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."

Hatch told KVNU that legalizing marriage equality nationally could have unintended consequences and lead to "every Tom, Dick and Harry in there with some crazy marital scheme demanding the same rights and the same privileges."

During the 2012 presidential campaign, Hatch also broke with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, saying he doesn't support amending the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage and that he prefers the issue be left to the states.

Here's an idea.  Want to pass a law that would give gay couples the same rights as married heterosexual couples?  LET THEM GET MARRIED!!  Done. Easy peasy.

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Replies (11-18):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

so your churches rules for all, then. so much for religious freedom.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting SLTmom:

Well, that's where we disagree.  I don't see how allowing two people who love each other deeply and truly, want to join their lives together, be there for each other for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, be true to each other, and be a family undermines anything.  ::shrug::

Quoting toomanypoodles:

"I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."

Sounds good to me. 

Wrong---I believe they should have that--every right and benefit.  Every right a hetero has---just call it something besides a marriage---marriage is defined as one man, one woman. 

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I live in a burb of slc Utah, and I'm not LDS. Kudos for using the preferred term. :) I only use Mormon when responding to a poster I don't think even knows the term LDS. :)

I'm about to fall out of my chair that he even went this 'far'. I'm catholic, so, I support 'traditional' marriage, right? No, I don't. Hubby, who converted to Catholicism the year we conceived our 1st, ds (hubby 100% came to me, and wanted to convert, I never asked him) , also supports marriage equality. :) 

Yes, I live in a very, very LDS neighborhood. And I love it. 

Iga, know I agree with you a lot, and respect you. :) I do also agree with this post. ;)

Quoting lga1965:

Oh geeeeee. I'm not surprised though because he is a LDS and they are extremely protective of traditional marriage.

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Not this transplant Utahan. All of my transplant friends agree. With so many moving here, views change. :)

Quoting Donna6503:

Actually, he seems to echo a lot of what Utahans think.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Quoting autodidact:

Of course it does, you're not on the losing end of the proposition.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

"I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."

Sounds good to me. 

How would they be losers if they were given every single right and benefit of a hetero couple,. but just giving their union a name besides "marriage"?  I don't see why that term has to be redefined in order for them to get all the rights of a marriage.

SLTmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, the way I see it, then it just becomes semantics.  If you're (and I mean the general "you're" I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth,  :-).  ) in favor of granting same sex couples the same rights and benefits as a married couple, then just call it what it is, a marriage.  The two people in the relationship feel married in their hearts and souls, well, then that's what it is.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting autodidact:

Of course it does, you're not on the losing end of the proposition.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Sounds good to me. 

How would they be losers if they were given every single right and benefit of a hetero couple,. but just giving their union a name besides "marriage"?  I don't see why that term has to be redefined in order for them to get all the rights of a marriage.

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Thank you. My brother and his family live in SLC andc Saratoga Springs. They are LDS. They want to convert me but it's never gonna work.
;-)

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

I agree. I live in a burb of slc Utah, and I'm not LDS. Kudos for using the preferred term. :) I only use Mormon when responding to a poster I don't think even knows the term LDS. :)

I'm about to fall out of my chair that he even went this 'far'. I'm catholic, so, I support 'traditional' marriage, right? No, I don't. Hubby, who converted to Catholicism the year we conceived our 1st, ds (hubby 100% came to me, and wanted to convert, I never asked him) , also supports marriage equality. :) 

Yes, I live in a very, very LDS neighborhood. And I love it. 

Iga, know I agree with you a lot, and respect you. :) I do also agree with this post. ;)

Quoting lga1965:

Oh geeeeee. I'm not surprised though because he is a LDS and they are extremely protective of traditional marriage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Here's an idea... Lets let the gays have marriage, and those who think they're icky can keep holy matrimony

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Warren hatch should understand the difference between legal marriage and holy matrimony, A person is not married until they have that legal document no matter how sacred they think their ceremony was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured