Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mega pastor Joel Osteen resigns, leaves Christian faith. *Edit*

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 176 Replies

*EDIT: Posters have concluded it to be a hoax. Thatt being said, a lot seem to have opinions about this man and/or the manner he preaches in the mass. What are you thoughts about that?

*Edit II: Ms. StringTheory has brought up a good question! If this DID happen, do you think he should be liable for all the money he brought in, based on his faith, to his ministry? 

Houston, Texas - CNN.com - April 2, 2013 - In a shocking and surprising development, megachurch pastor Joel Osteen has announced he is resigning from his post and leaving the Christian faith. 

In a statement released on his website (http://www.joelostenministries.com), which appeared stripped down and bare, he said he has been questioning the faith for a long time. "I believe now that the Bible is a fallible, flawed, highly inconsistent history book that has been altered hundreds of times. There is zero evidence the Bible is the holy word of God," said Osteen.

The reaction across the Christian world ranged from shock to grief to anger. "I can't believe it," said Jolene McCormack, of Austin, Texas, "he's the last person I would expect to defect to atheism." 

Some of his parishioners at his Lakewood, Texas area megachurch expressed anger. "We've given him so much, and now he's leaving us?" said Jim Burger, 65, a ten-year member of the church. "We won't stand for it." 

In recent months, Osteen had demonstrated a willingness to deviate from Christian doctrine, often peppering his sermons with "New Age" references and at one point calling himself "God".

The incident occurred in February and created a local uproar. Halfway through his morning Sunday service he dropped to his knees and began crying, and then announced, "I am God! I am just as much a God as our Lord is!" The 10,000 members in attendance appeared stunned. Osteen later released an apology, and blamed the outburst on a lack of sleep due to his busy travel schedule. 

With Osteen's departure, the church is left with a gaping hole in its leadership. A press release prepared by the church claimed Osteen is experiencing a "mental breakdown" and seemed to suggest they are unwilling to accept his resignation. "We won't put up with this," a congregation leader said off the record. "This guy's made millions off of us, we're not going to let him just take our money. We know his net worth is in upwards of $50 million." 

In the church parking lot on Sunday, a crowd gathered to hold a prayer vigil. "We'll pray for him. He's come under the influence of the Devil," said Margaret Samson, a twelve-year member of the church. "We will go on. But we need him. We can't do this without him." 

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM
6 moms liked this

I  always knew he was a wackadoodle.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

You know that is a hoax right?

delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

wow

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I believe this is a hoax.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

While I do not know much about him,  I have enjoyed a few of his 'quotes' I have seen on the FB pages of friends.

Other than that..........I have never been one to get behind any 'mega church' or it's leaders.  It's more about the money than any thing to do with the Lord.

This just tells me, for myself, that I am right in my own Faith and I do not need, nor should it be expected, that any Christian follow along with any man lead institution.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Except none of it is real.

Look at how is name is spelled in link in the story.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Well it appears it is a hoax.  I should have know.

They don't care about him they only care about the money.

"We won't put up with this," a congregation leader said off the record. "This guy's made millions off of us, we're not going to let him just take our money. We know his net worth is in upwards of $50 million." 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting talia-mom:

You know that is a hoax right?

I would not doubt it at all.  Heck, I don't doubt any thing these days.  lol

But I still stand by my last post.  I don't like mega churches and I don't necessarily trust those who lead them.

FoodIsLife
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

The only thing I'm finding that says it's a hoax are unrealiable internet sources... provide them if you find them :-)

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
So he's still the pastor?

Quoting momtoscott:

I believe this is a hoax.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN