Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So there has been a BUNCH of marriage talk in here lately. I just had a giggle over it. Everyone is up in arms over who can and cannot marry and so many are against "non-traditional" marriages. You have all these people upset over same sex marriages. But yet they are ok with my marriage (a transman married to a transwoman) just because we are still opposites. 

What has made you giggle lately?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Replies (71-71):
jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Why are there only 4 gospels? There should be at least 11. What happened to the others?

How is 3 years not enough time?

Quoting TranquilMind:

Jesus didn't address every single thing.  Jesus didn't have time to address every single thing, since he only ministered 3 years and spent his time healing and teaching.   He didn't address church structure,  Paul did.  He didn't address how to take care of the poor, and other administrative matters.  That doesn't mean we aren't supposed to do it.

God's Word is authoritative, not only the 4 gospels. You can cut out half the New Testament if you want, but I'm going to stick with it.   

Quoting jllcali:

Why are his words more important than Jesus' words? If it really was that important, why wouldn't Jesus address the issue when he was on earth? Why call yourself Christians if other's words are given just as much weight?

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes, I know.  But he was still an apostle and his words were authoritative, which is probably why he wrote almost half of what is in the New Testament. 

You can't just ignore Paul to get the result you want.  He fleshes out a lot of concepts over a long period of time, that Jesus didn't address (or we don't have those words) in depth. 

Quoting jllcali:

Jesus was dead before Paul's letters to the Corinthians were written. Which is why there are no words written in red in corinthians

Quoting TranquilMind:

And the TWO shall become one flesh (not multiples).  Paul reiterated by saying each woman should have her own husband and each man his own wife.  TWO.

It's right there. 

Quoting purpleducky:

I asked for where Jesus stated it. You failed to provide that.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Here is marriage:

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion . . . So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion . . . (Gen. 1:26-28)

Jesus:  Matthew 19

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’a 5and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’b ? 6So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

7“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

8Jesus replied, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Paul, clarifying

Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. (I Corinthians 7:1-2)

Quoting purpleducky:

Please show me where Jesus directly stated one man and one woman for life.

And yeah font settings is under account settings. My default is this bold orange.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)