Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kindergartener banned from school because she doesnt have vaccines. piog

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 118 Replies
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/without_vaccination_kindergart.html

I'm mobile and can't make it clicky but to those that use vaccine exemption,I guess it doesn't work in.every state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM
7 moms liked this

Nope it doesn't work in every state and parents that make this choice need to be aware of the laws in their state.  

kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Ok.in the news it said the chickenpox vaccine and they didn't mention the child having any health issues.
1Giovanni
by Becca on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM

TATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Kindergartner FrankieElizabeth Staiti doesn't have chickenpox, but the illness is keeping her out of school anyway.

Her mother says the girl has been banned from class at PS 36 in Annadale for not having received the varicella vaccine, even though her doctor told her mother it would be unsafe to give it to the child.

Elizabeth Wagner, FrankieElizabeth's mom, said her pediatrician won't give the varicella vaccine to any child living with an infant -- and FrankieElizabeth's sister, Devin Elizabeth Wagner, is just 14 weeks old. That's because the vaccine uses a small sample of the live chickenpox virus to inoculate against it.

"This has been a complete nightmare," Ms. Wagner said. "Obviously, if there are some doctors that don't believe in giving it with a newborn sibling in the home, or any newborn in the house, or a pregnant woman, obviously there's a reason for that."

Complicating the matter even further, Elizabeth Wagner has an immunodeficiency disease called hypogammaglobulinemia, and it's hereditary. Her infant daughter could also have the disease -- which would make exposure to the varicella virus even more dangerous -- but doctors can't test her until she's a year old.

The Annadale mother said her daughter's pediatrician sent a letter and spoke with the Department of Education seeking a medical exemption from the vaccine requirement, explaining he doesn't inoculate children with newborn siblings, and also citing the possibility that the infant has a compromised immune system.

vaccine2.jpgView full sizeElizabeth Wagner shows a letter form the NYC Department of Education explaining that her daughter FrankieElizabeth Staiti 5, won't be able to go to school because she's missing her varicella vaccine. 

But the request was denied, and Ms. Wagner finds it unbelievable that if she were opposed to the vaccine on religious grounds, her daughter could attend school, but she's stuck at home because a doctor says it's unsafe.

"I did think about going that route, but I do believe in immunizations. It's not that I don't believe in them. But in this one case, it's a live virus and I'm not willing to take that chance with my newborn," Ms. Wagner said. "I don't care if it's a 1 in 3 million chance. What happens if my baby is the 1 in 3 million?"

The Department of Education confirmed that the medical exemption was denied.

"We review any request and, when there is uncertainty, consult the [Department of Health and Mental Hygiene] Bureau of Immunization. We also consider the CDC [Centers for Disease Control] recommendation in a particular situation," spokeswoman Margie Feinberg said in a written statement.

"In this case, the medical exemption was denied after a thorough review with the parent and the student's doctor. A letter was then sent to the parent. Under state law, a student can be excluded from school for not having the required vaccines. The parent may appeal the NYC DOE decision to the state education commissioner."

To make matters more frustrating, Ms. Wagner said nobody at the school or anyone else she's spoken to about the vaccines told her she could appeal the decision.

Ms. Wagner has spoken to other doctors. Some give the vaccine with a newborn at home and some do not. But she said if some don't, she's uneasy about giving it to her child, especially with the possibility of the immune disorder.

"It's a nonstop battle, and I've been brought to tears I can't tell you how many times," Ms. Wagner said.

For now, FrankieElizabeth is stuck at home. Ms. Wagner said she cried when she talked about having to tell her child she couldn't go back to class. And even though it's not her choice to keep FrankieElizabeth home, Ms. Wagner learned with a phone call from the school that the girl is being marked absent.

"What happens next? I wait for a truant officer to arrest me because my child's not going to school?" Ms. Wagner asked.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/without_vaccination_kindergart.html

---
1Giovanni
by Becca on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM
4 moms liked this

It isn't that she choose not to have the vax. It is because her doctor will not give it too her because there is baby in the house. The school should let her go because she did get a doctor note. Plus, it is because of the health of the baby. 

kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I know I don't get why the school is doing that. They have religious exempt so why can't they understand this mom.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

It isn't that she choose not to have the vax. It is because her doctor will not give it too her because there is baby in the house. The school should let her go because she did get a doctor note. Plus, it is because of the health of the baby. 

kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I know I don't get why the school is doing that. They have religious exempt so why can't they understand this mom.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I rejected the Chicken Pox vaccine for my kids. It's not life or death. In Florida, to avoid vaccinating at all, it's a matter of getting an exemption which I received from the state. 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

When my kids were young, I didn't want my boys to have the chicken pox vax and my Dr didn't disagree. I simply told her that they had the pox before they actually did. There was no issue. I don't think it was mandatory at that time tho. 

Quoting 1Giovanni:

TATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Kindergartner FrankieElizabeth Staiti doesn't have chickenpox, but the illness is keeping her out of school anyway.

Her mother says the girl has been banned from class at PS 36 in Annadale for not having received the varicella vaccine, even though her doctor told her mother it would be unsafe to give it to the child.

Elizabeth Wagner, FrankieElizabeth's mom, said her pediatrician won't give the varicella vaccine to any child living with an infant -- and FrankieElizabeth's sister, Devin Elizabeth Wagner, is just 14 weeks old. That's because the vaccine uses a small sample of the live chickenpox virus to inoculate against it.

"This has been a complete nightmare," Ms. Wagner said. "Obviously, if there are some doctors that don't believe in giving it with a newborn sibling in the home, or any newborn in the house, or a pregnant woman, obviously there's a reason for that."

Complicating the matter even further, Elizabeth Wagner has an immunodeficiency disease called hypogammaglobulinemia, and it's hereditary. Her infant daughter could also have the disease -- which would make exposure to the varicella virus even more dangerous -- but doctors can't test her until she's a year old.

The Annadale mother said her daughter's pediatrician sent a letter and spoke with the Department of Education seeking a medical exemption from the vaccine requirement, explaining he doesn't inoculate children with newborn siblings, and also citing the possibility that the infant has a compromised immune system.

vaccine2.jpgView full sizeElizabeth Wagner shows a letter form the NYC Department of Education explaining that her daughter FrankieElizabeth Staiti 5, won't be able to go to school because she's missing her varicella vaccine. 

But the request was denied, and Ms. Wagner finds it unbelievable that if she were opposed to the vaccine on religious grounds, her daughter could attend school, but she's stuck at home because a doctor says it's unsafe.

"I did think about going that route, but I do believe in immunizations. It's not that I don't believe in them. But in this one case, it's a live virus and I'm not willing to take that chance with my newborn," Ms. Wagner said. "I don't care if it's a 1 in 3 million chance. What happens if my baby is the 1 in 3 million?"

The Department of Education confirmed that the medical exemption was denied.

"We review any request and, when there is uncertainty, consult the [Department of Health and Mental Hygiene] Bureau of Immunization. We also consider the CDC [Centers for Disease Control] recommendation in a particular situation," spokeswoman Margie Feinberg said in a written statement.

"In this case, the medical exemption was denied after a thorough review with the parent and the student's doctor. A letter was then sent to the parent. Under state law, a student can be excluded from school for not having the required vaccines. The parent may appeal the NYC DOE decision to the state education commissioner."

To make matters more frustrating, Ms. Wagner said nobody at the school or anyone else she's spoken to about the vaccines told her she could appeal the decision.

Ms. Wagner has spoken to other doctors. Some give the vaccine with a newborn at home and some do not. But she said if some don't, she's uneasy about giving it to her child, especially with the possibility of the immune disorder.

"It's a nonstop battle, and I've been brought to tears I can't tell you how many times," Ms. Wagner said.

For now, FrankieElizabeth is stuck at home. Ms. Wagner said she cried when she talked about having to tell her child she couldn't go back to class. And even though it's not her choice to keep FrankieElizabeth home, Ms. Wagner learned with a phone call from the school that the girl is being marked absent.

"What happens next? I wait for a truant officer to arrest me because my child's not going to school?" Ms. Wagner asked.

---

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN