Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kindergartener banned from school because she doesnt have vaccines. piog

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/without_vaccination_kindergart.html

I'm mobile and can't make it clicky but to those that use vaccine exemption,I guess it doesn't work in.every state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
why should anyone need to lie about a belief to not have a child vaxed right then when they have a doctor saying its a medical call?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

And what about people who can't homeschool? It is silly to me that you wouldn't claim religion. Religion is personal belief. I didn't have to state what religion, just that it was against it. They cannot question it.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

So you'd go against your personal belief that vaccines are not safe for your children and inject them just because you don't want to claim you're religious?

I used a religious exemption. I am Agnostic. They can kiss my ass. I am not going to inject my kid just becuase I have to lie.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting purpleducky:

Ummmm...why not just use the religious exemption that is in place?

I wouldn't choose to be dishonest about it either

I would homeschool. That's me. I'm disappointed by your assumptions. =/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

it isn't a medical condition with the child in school and the mother could have had her vaccinated prior to her sister's birth.  The schedule is from 4-6 and school has been in since September.    

Quoting pixie92:

except the doctor did sighn a letter and talked to the school about it. The mother and doctor did what they needed to and yet the school denied the exemption which is a dumb call on their part cause they should go by the childs doctor.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I don't believe I stated that there were states with no exemptions, just that they don't all work and you need to be aware of the laws in your state.  Would you disagree that one should be aware of what responsibilities the parents assume when making this choice? If the doctor wouldn't sign off on a medical exemption and that is what the state needs then she isn't meeting the requirements for school.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

Not true. EVERY state in the union recognizes a medical exemption.  The problem here is that the doctor stated that she can't yet test the child for the possible inherited disorder -so the exemption doesn't yet exist- , and NY, instead of using common sense, simply denied it.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Nope it doesn't work in every state and parents that make this choice need to be aware of the laws in their state.  

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

she could have vaccinated her at the age of four.  Again, one needs to be really aware of the laws in the state and assume the responsibility that comes from choosing to forego vaccines.  Her option would be to homeschool her if she is unable to obtain a legitimate medical waiver.  

As a non vaxxer, I recognize that my choice carries responsibilities.  

Quoting pixie92:

Except for the fact that its dangerous on the unborn child and pregnant woman to be exposed to the chicken pox so doctors dont like giving the vax to children with pregnant mothers or under a year old baby. So no really she couldnt and shouldnt have gotten the shot before the baby sister was born.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Now that I can read the story...this really doesn't meet the criteria of medical exemption. They could have vaccinated her prior to the birth of her sister.  It definitely falls into the "know your laws". Also kindergarten may not be mandatory in the state. 

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

she would have been smarter to claim a religious exemption as no documentation is necessary. 

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Really? Really? This mom can simply check a separate box that says the child is exempt for religious reasons, yet she won't. She clearly has personal beliefs about keeping the live vaccine away from her baby. She should simple check that religious box and be done with it. I can't believe she is choosing to keep her child out of school and make a big stink out of it. I learned a long time ago that though the hoops are annoying, just make the dang jump and get it over with so life can happily carry on.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Doctors and parents fallow the age and time to do the shots. When she was four mommy would have been prego on top of it. So again she couldnt of gotten the shot. As a non vaxer i know what i need to do and so do vaxers but most vaxers wouldnt have thought about a doctor not vaxing their child because they just had another baby. Also unless they were trying to get pregnant why would they think about needing to do the vax early? The doctor made this choice and the school should be fine with it.

Quoting katy_kay08:

she could have vaccinated her at the age of four.  Again, one needs to be really aware of the laws in the state and assume the responsibility that comes from choosing to forego vaccines.  Her option would be to homeschool her if she is unable to obtain a legitimate medical waiver.  

As a non vaxxer, I recognize that my choice carries responsibilities.  

Quoting pixie92:

Except for the fact that its dangerous on the unborn child and pregnant woman to be exposed to the chicken pox so doctors dont like giving the vax to children with pregnant mothers or under a year old baby. So no really she couldnt and shouldnt have gotten the shot before the baby sister was born.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Now that I can read the story...this really doesn't meet the criteria of medical exemption. They could have vaccinated her prior to the birth of her sister.  It definitely falls into the "know your laws". Also kindergarten may not be mandatory in the state. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM
and again the mother would have been pregnant and that is dangerous. Most doctors wont give the vax with a pregnant woman in the house. Also why cant they wait to let her get it at six if that is the schedual? Why do they have to risk the health of the sister or pregnant mom and unborn child when the schedual for the vax is 4 to 6? Schools are supposed to enforce them according to the schedual of the shots so they could wait.

Quoting katy_kay08:

it isn't a medical condition with the child in school and the mother could have had her vaccinated prior to her sister's birth.  The schedule is from 4-6 and school has been in since September.    

Quoting pixie92:

except the doctor did sighn a letter and talked to the school about it. The mother and doctor did what they needed to and yet the school denied the exemption which is a dumb call on their part cause they should go by the childs doctor.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I don't believe I stated that there were states with no exemptions, just that they don't all work and you need to be aware of the laws in your state.  Would you disagree that one should be aware of what responsibilities the parents assume when making this choice? If the doctor wouldn't sign off on a medical exemption and that is what the state needs then she isn't meeting the requirements for school.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

Not true. EVERY state in the union recognizes a medical exemption.  The problem here is that the doctor stated that she can't yet test the child for the possible inherited disorder -so the exemption doesn't yet exist- , and NY, instead of using common sense, simply denied it.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Nope it doesn't work in every state and parents that make this choice need to be aware of the laws in their state.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM
How do you know she isn't 6?

Quoting pixie92:

and again the mother would have been pregnant and that is dangerous. Most doctors wont give the vax with a pregnant woman in the house. Also why cant they wait to let her get it at six if that is the schedual? Why do they have to risk the health of the sister or pregnant mom and unborn child when the schedual for the vax is 4 to 6? Schools are supposed to enforce them according to the schedual of the shots so they could wait.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting pixie92:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Rules are there for a reason and it's not good to break them,but I guess some people just don't care. It's really quite irrational to refuse to allow your children to have their vaccinations.....and then think they can still attend school and  also ignore rules. It seems some people need to grow up.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM

She had the freedom to refuse and now she gets to accept the responsibility/consequences that accompany that decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN