Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergartener banned from school because she doesnt have vaccines. piog

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/without_vaccination_kindergart.html

I'm mobile and can't make it clicky but to those that use vaccine exemption,I guess it doesn't work in.every state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (51-60):
paknari
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Although I am pro-vaccination there are reasons why you can't get them and hers is one of them. My daughter can't get any vaccines that are made with eggs because of her egg allergy if they want her to get them they are going to have to convince the manufacturer to make them with something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Most people don't even know what a titter is. If they did they wouldn't get all those boosters. There is a lot of education needed for the general public regarding vaccines.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I would think that the school would require a titer as proof

Quoting fireangel5:

When my kids were young, I didn't want my boys to have the chicken pox vax and my Dr didn't disagree. I simply told her that they had the pox before they actually did. There was no issue. I don't think it was mandatory at that time tho. 

Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Another awesome reason to homeschool.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I don't know why she didn't just get the religous expedition form to begin with. Here all you have to do is go down to the County health department and ask for an exemption form. They don't even bother questioning if you are truly against it for religious reasons. That's exactly what I did. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

She's honest?

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I don't know why she didn't just get the religous expedition form to begin with. Here all you have to do is go down to the County health department and ask for an exemption form. They don't even bother questioning if you are truly against it for religious reasons. That's exactly what I did. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Maybe I didn't make it clear. She wrote to the board of education about this rather than going to get the exemption form directly from the county. We call it a "religious exemption" form. However, no where on the form do you have to say or sign that you are against it for religious reasons. I'd have to go dig out the form, but I am pretty sure all it says at the top of the form is "County Vaccination Exemption" you just have to check a box saying you are requesting an exemption, and have been advised of the risks to your kid etc.

Either way. If I had to say I was against it for religous reasons in order to keep my child safe, which is her plight and mine. I would do it. Hands down for sure. It's ridiculous that a group of non medical personnel can tell you your child cannot go to school because you choose to put their health first. 

Quoting talia-mom:

She's honest?

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Why? The doctor filled out the immunization record, indicating chicken pox disease during a particular month/year. I have never had to submit a titer for any immunization during all of my kids school years. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting fireangel5:

When my kids were young, I didn't want my boys to have the chicken pox vax and my Dr didn't disagree. I simply told her that they had the pox before they actually did. There was no issue. I don't think it was mandatory at that time tho. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM

This is so funny to me.

Not only did my entire generation go to school without any proof of vaccination for anything, but titers  don't even register immunity UNLESS THE PERSON IS FIGHTING THE ILLNESS.  So taking a titer on a person who  isn't battling the illness at the moment won't show anything at all.  The person can be totally immune and show nothing, because the disease has to activate the cells that fight it. 

Read it for yourself.

I had a titer done and it did show that I was totally immune to chicken pox, even though I had never had chicken pox.  I only know because when my kids got it, I was in my 40's, and they thought it was a good idea to check me, since I was older.  Well sure....my immunity showed up, because my kids had been coming down with the illness for the 10 day incubation period, and were already ill, firing up my immune system.  So I measured properly to show immunity. 

So glad my kids have lifelong real immunity to that one, just like I do.  Oh, and my Mom was also immune, even though she had never had the chicken pox either.  Back then, you got exposed to everybody so if your body built immunities without even being sick, you were good. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting fireangel5:

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Each state has its own laws. Just because one pediatrician says no doesn't mean the next ped won't say yes. Yeah, I get that the family has health issues but I am sure a different ped wouldn't even bat an eyelash at giving the vaccine.

Our family's ped never asked if I was pregnant and I'm pretty sure DD1 got the booster dose while DD2 was under a year old. 

Guess this mom will be home schooling since she isn't complying with state law. The state has the right to make laws. We have the right to choose where we live. If she doesn't like her state's laws she has alternatives.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Quoting katy_kay08:

Nope it doesn't work in every state and parents that make this choice need to be aware of the laws in their state.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured