Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kindergartener banned from school because she doesnt have vaccines. piog

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/without_vaccination_kindergart.html

I'm mobile and can't make it clicky but to those that use vaccine exemption,I guess it doesn't work in.every state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (111-118):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM
This is illegal. She has a medical waiver, signed by a doctor. Unless there is a chickenpox outbreak in the school, they cannot keep her out of school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuDoNim
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM

The 1st dose has been on the recommended schedule at 12-15 months for more than a decade. Up until a few years ago, not all states have mandated it, but NY has for quite some time now.

Again, the school is not at fault. In NY, medical exemptions are approved by the state health department, not by the school district.

Quoting pixie92:

i live in the us and raised six kids here and am now helping with my grandson. They dont recommened the vax until four especially in a situation where the child has an imune deficency which this child has. She would have been tested at age one like her little sister will be and when it came back positive they wouldnt have recomended it til four. Not all kids are the same and not all kids can have the same vaxes at the same time. The school should know this and be ok with it when a Doctor says they shouldnt have it. Which would you listen to the school or the doctor who is trained? Would you take other moms say over a doctor who is trained in dealing with kids with issues? I personally would listen to my doctor over a school or moms i do or dont know when it comes to a child with a big health issue like this child. I might listen to other moms who have children with the same issues but i still think my doctor would trump them.

Quoting SuDoNim:

I'm not sure which you live in, but in the US the first dose of varicella vaccine can be given as young as 12 months. The second dose can be given between 4-6 years, but NY doesn't require the second dose forschool.

Quoting pixie92:

actually not true. The chicken pox vax isnt even offered until the child is four, there is a reason for that. So in all fairness she has most likely, since in kindergarten, has had a year. In which time mom was pregnant and haveing a child which is why the doctor wont give the child the shot. Which also means in all fairness the school can wait to even push the issue until the kid is six since the vax is recomended to be given from age four to six.

Quoting SuDoNim:

In all fairness, she had a good 4 years to get the vaccine.

Quoting pixie92:

whoa, she didnt chose to not get it done the doctor chose not to give it. No one lied about religion or anything in the op. She told the truth and went by her doctor and then her kid got kicked out of school because the school decided they didnt agree with the doctor.

Quoting IhartU:

You know what- if it's the LAW that you have to have your child vaccinated, then stop bitching when you're kids can't attend. Unless there is a medical reason you can't vaccinate then you should. You should not be allowed to use paranoia as an exemption or be able to LIE about it being against your religion to get around it.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

I think its a miliatary thing. my DD was given the varicella vax as well, after i told them NO. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Ridiculous, especially under the circumstances.

My daughter was given that vax without my permission.  Apparently, considering she was born in a military hospital, and in another country, the parents had no choice in the matter.  Pissed me off.  

I hope this mother stands her ground and some lawyer who is worth his grain in salt helps her.

Yes, it is.  Or was.  I haven't a clue what they do now.  It was also due to our being in another country.  Even so, no one bothered to speak to me about it, or my then husband.  I was livid.  She did not need this vax.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM

The chicken pox vaccine is a load of shit and shouldn't even be a requirement.  And school rule or not, or whatever the laws are, a doctors note stating WHY the child cannot have it should be sufficient enough.

If she was smart, she'd lie and either claim religious exemption or have her doctor forge another note stating the child got chicken pox and is now in the clear.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
then why does the school state they decided not to accept it? They even go as far as saying they go through a process of deciding if they will accept it and none of it has to do with the state health department. It does say they will consualt the cdc but that they didnt even do that in this case. So yes the school made the call and they are at fault.

Quoting SuDoNim:

The 1st dose has been on the recommended schedule at 12-15 months for more than a decade. Up until a few years ago, not all states have mandated it, but NY has for quite some time now.

Again, the school is not at fault. In NY, medical exemptions are approved by the state health department, not by the school district.

Quoting pixie92:

i live in the us and raised six kids here and am now helping with my grandson. They dont recommened the vax until four especially in a situation where the child has an imune deficency which this child has. She would have been tested at age one like her little sister will be and when it came back positive they wouldnt have recomended it til four. Not all kids are the same and not all kids can have the same vaxes at the same time. The school should know this and be ok with it when a Doctor says they shouldnt have it. Which would you listen to the school or the doctor who is trained? Would you take other moms say over a doctor who is trained in dealing with kids with issues? I personally would listen to my doctor over a school or moms i do or dont know when it comes to a child with a big health issue like this child. I might listen to other moms who have children with the same issues but i still think my doctor would trump them.

Quoting SuDoNim:

I'm not sure which you live in, but in the US the first dose of varicella vaccine can be given as young as 12 months. The second dose can be given between 4-6 years, but NY doesn't require the second dose forschool.

Quoting pixie92:

actually not true. The chicken pox vax isnt even offered until the child is four, there is a reason for that. So in all fairness she has most likely, since in kindergarten, has had a year. In which time mom was pregnant and haveing a child which is why the doctor wont give the child the shot. Which also means in all fairness the school can wait to even push the issue until the kid is six since the vax is recomended to be given from age four to six.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting pixie92:

whoa, she didnt chose to not get it done the doctor chose not to give it. No one lied about religion or anything in the op. She told the truth and went by her doctor and then her kid got kicked out of school because the school decided they didnt agree with the doctor.

Quoting IhartU:

You know what- if it's the LAW that you have to have your child vaccinated, then stop bitching when you're kids can't attend. Unless there is a medical reason you can't vaccinate then you should. You should not be allowed to use paranoia as an exemption or be able to LIE about it being against your religion to get around it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuDoNim
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Are we reading the same article? It says plain as day that the Department of Education confirmed that the request was denied, after being reviewed by the Department of Health. I live in NY and am quite familiar with the exemption process; with medical exemptions, the school's only role in the process is forwarding the exemption request to the DOE and DOH, who in turn made the decision to grant or deny the exemption.

Also, they do consider the CDC recommendations; the doctor's reason for not giving the vaccine is not on the CDC's list of contraindications for this particular vaccine, which is why the exemption was denied. 

Quoting pixie92:

then why does the school state they decided not to accept it? They even go as far as saying they go through a process of deciding if they will accept it and none of it has to do with the state health department. It does say they will consualt the cdc but that they didnt even do that in this case. So yes the school made the call and they are at fault.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting pixie92:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting pixie92:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting pixie92:

Quoting IhartU:

Diane1223
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I think all children should be vaccinated, to not only protect themselves, but so that they don't get other children sick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Unfortuntely in many states a religious waiver is at least interpreted as an all or nothing deal. You can't "cherry pick" which vaccines your "religion" allows and doesn't allow.

Quoting purpleducky:

*shrug* I say use what is available to ya.

Quoting AllofFive19:

She said that she doesn't want to do the religious exemption because she does believe in vaccines. 

Quoting purpleducky:

Ummmm...why not just use the religious exemption that is in place?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN