Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smoking is Hazardous to Employment

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 75 Replies

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/warning--smoking-is-hazardous-to-your-employment-173111627.html

Interesting article outlining how more and more companies are declining to hire smokers. Some say it is discriminatory, other disagree.

Thoughts?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Well in the US...it would be smart not to hire smokers.  Their health is bound to be more of a insurance risk than a non-smoker.

For those of us who enjoy Universal healthcare....well not so much.  More hazardous to hire an asthmatic.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Smokers aren't a protected class.

They cost more in insurance, which employers have to provide or pay a fine, take more breaks, have more sick days, and frankly just smell.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I think it is a great idea maybe people will stop and save their lives and the ones they inflict their smoke on.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM

More people will just hide the fact they are a smoker.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting talia-mom:

Smokers aren't a protected class.

They cost more in insurance, which employers have to provide or pay a fine, take more breaks, have more sick days, and frankly just smell.

Curious....how do they have more breaks?  Here everyone gets the same amount of time off during the day.  Smokers are not privvy to more breaks just because they smoke.

Do they get an hourly break in the US?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I would :-)  I'd say I dont smoke, if anything turned up on a medical exam to say I had advanced lung cancer or something related to smoking, I would say ...I was a smoker, I stopped for a while and unfortunately took the habit back up.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM

WOW

you would be a liar.

How pitiful.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I would :-)  I'd say I dont smoke, if anything turned up on a medical exam to say I had advanced lung cancer or something related to smoking, I would say ...I was a smoker, I stopped for a while and unfortunately took the habit back up.

twinmom114
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM
You can be tested. Just like drug testing nicotine will show up.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM
4 moms liked this

yup...Id be a liar with a job :-)

Quoting talia-mom:

WOW

you would be a liar.

How pitiful.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Oh

I have ethics and morals.

Quoting turtle68:

yup...Id be a liar with a job :-)

Quoting talia-mom:

WOW

you would be a liar.

How pitiful.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured