Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are Students Entitled to Free Lunches Just Because?

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was in public school, you had three choices for lunch.  Pay for lunch at the school cafeteria, bring your lunch from home or go hungry.  The school was not responsible for feeding a student who forgets their lunch or didn’t have money to buy one.

It was called ‘responsibility.’  Students and their parents were supposed to be responsible for providing for themselves.  For most of my public school days, I got up early enough to fix my own lunch.  The days I felt lazy and too tired to pack my own lunch, I went hungry.  I was responsible for my lunch, not the school.  Whenever I was given money to buy lunch at the school cafeteria, I thought I was living the good life.

In today’s world of entitlements and liberal sociology, it seems that it’s everyone’s responsibility to provide for a student when they and their parents fail to do so.  Students are no longer being taught responsibility and evidently, neither are their parents.

Case in point is what happened at Coelho Middle School in Attleboro, Massachusetts.  The school covers grades 5 through 8.  On Tuesday, the school denied lunch to as many as 25 students because they could not pay for the meal or their pre-paid lunch cards were out of funds.  Some students in the cafeteria line received their food, but when they got to the cash register, they were told that they could not eat it because of lack of funds.  In most cases, the meals were tossed in the garbage, because they had already been served and could not be put back according to health codes.

It was reported that some students actually cried when they were denied a free lunch.  One parent reported that her son offered to share his lunch with a girl in line with him who began crying when she was told to dump hers because of lack of funds.  Another parent, John Greaves was incensed that his daughter was told to throw her lunch away because she had no way of paying for it.  He said that people in prison get fed but that his honor student daughter was going hungry.

Whitson’s Culinary Group is the company that runs the school cafeteria.  The local site director for Coelho Middle School was placed on administrative leave because of what happened.  Pia Durkin, school superintendent said that the cafeteria workers failed to follow policy of providing a cheese sandwich and glass of milk to any student that can’t pay for a lunch.  She promised that no student will ever go hungry again.

So what does all this teach the students?  When you can’t pay your own way or not responsible enough to pay, you should expect the system to pay and provide for you.  If John Greaves was so upset because his honor student went hungry, I question to him is why didn’t you provide your honor student with the funds to pay for her lunch like a responsibly parent should?  Where does he get off expecting the school to do be responsible when he’s not?

The school district says that they currently have a deficit of $1,800 for delinquent student accounts.  At a time when so many school districts have to make drastic financial cuts including laying off teachers, every dollar is precious.  I hate to see kids go hungry, but blame the parents and the students, not the school.  If the parents don’t have the money for the cafeteria lunches, then they should see that their kids pack a lunch like millions of us have done for years.

source

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Parents should be responsible but if they're not then the innocent child should NOT go hungry. Why punish the child for the parents?

A few years ago my daughter was gettting a reduced lunch but I sent in a dollar every time and she built up an account- the teacher said she would let her know when she needed to bring money in again. Well, I was never told how much was left or informed that she was getting low and she went days without having money for lunch, getting one anyway and then they sent a note home saying she owed blah blah amount. For then on, I sent in the exact amount because I didn't want to deal with that again.

Right now, our district has a grant so that through 2015 EVERY public school student regardless of income gets a free breakfast and lunch. I kind of wish it was that way ALL the time for EVERY public school in the Country.

christina0607
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

How old was your daughter?

I think this brings up another good point, these weren't small children. Each of them are certainly old enough to know where their accounts stand. They don't need their teachers holding their hands like say a 1st grader.

Quoting IhartU:

Parents should be responsible but if they're not then the innocent child should NOT go hungry. Why punish the child for the parents?

A few years ago my daughter was gettting a reduced lunch but I sent in a dollar every time and she built up an account- the teacher said she would let her know when she needed to bring money in again. Well, I was never told how much was left or informed that she was getting low and she went days without having money for lunch, getting one anyway and then they sent a note home saying she owed blah blah amount. For then on, I sent in the exact amount because I didn't want to deal with that again.

Right now, our district has a grant so that through 2015 EVERY public school student regardless of income gets a free breakfast and lunch. I kind of wish it was that way ALL the time for EVERY public school in the Country.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM
5 moms liked this

Thank you for this article from the "last resistance".

We have a decision to make: Does society want to invest in our children or not? If not- your article is what we should follow. If yes, then we need to realize that in a poor economy not every child has a job working in the mines to help pay their way when things go south in the job market for the rest of their family.

GirlWithANikon
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, it is not the school or state's responsibility to feed your child. Some prisons make their inmates work for their keep but but everyone wants something fr free these days so that is an invalid argument; i guess.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jehosoba84:

I agree with the sentiment of the OP, but these children have not been raised with the 'I'm responsible for myself' mentality, so I do feel sorry for them. Not so much for their parents.

These children you're speaking of aren't 'raised' yet. 

Get a clue.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Quoting christina0607:

How old was your daughter?

I think this brings up another good point, these weren't small children. Each of them are certainly old enough to know where their accounts stand. They don't need their teachers holding their hands like say a 1st grader.

Quoting IhartU:

That's true. She was only in 3rd grade at the time. Older kids should be able to keep track on their own...

Martina70
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

But given the statements from the parents, that sounds like the case since they aren't blaming themselves. The bottom line is their kids did not get a hot lunch because they neglected to provide the money for their children to pay for it. 

It seems like the grey area is why the standard cheese sammie was not provided. 

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting jehosoba84:

I agree with the sentiment of the OP, but these children have not been raised with the 'I'm responsible for myself' mentality, so I do feel sorry for them. Not so much for their parents.

These children you're speaking of aren't 'raised' yet. 

Get a clue.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

I agree, it is not the school or state's responsibility to feed your child. Some prisons make their inmates work for their keep but but everyone wants something fr free these days so that is an invalid argument; i guess.

Those kids are 'working' by learning and doing school work in order to get an education to better our Country.  It's a DAMN shame that people who commit crimes and are the dregs of society get every thing for FREE and the public school kids get nothing.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM

it is one thing to punish or go after the parents but it is just flat out wrong to make kids throw out a lunch becausee of funds.  Every child should eat, period.  hey learn more, are more attentive and have more energy fo the day. 

christina0607
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Those kids are 'working' by learning and doing school work in order to get an education to better our Country.  It's a DAMN shame that people who commit crimes and are the dregs of society get every thing for FREE and the public school kids get nothing.

I can't stand this analogy of school to prison. First of all public school kids hardly get "nothing", that statement is amazingly sickening. Second school is a choice we make. As parents we spend countless hours deciding where and how to educate our children. To even compare that to the unlawful choice of screwing up and being sent to prison is incomprehensible. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN