Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

4am....last call!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 6 Replies

What do you think about bars and clubs being allowed to stay open later, till 4am? Does it really matter? Will extending another two hours really be detrimental?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_LAST_CALL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-09-05-26-01

CALIF'S 4 A.M. LAST CALL BILL ALREADY FUELS DEBATE

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The last call for drinks is 2 a.m. in California, but one lawmaker believes that's just too early to set down the shot glasses and beer steins.

State Sen. Mark Leno's proposal to let the liquor flow until 4 a.m. as a way to draw more tourists - and with them more revenue and jobs - is already spawning a sharp debate from Sacramento to watering holes in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Leno said the measure would make the state more competitive with other hotspots like New York, Las Vegas and Miami that serve alcohol later into the wee hours of the morning or 24 hours a day.

Night-spot owners say a later last call will be good for business, but law enforcement officials argue that it increases the chances that cities will see more public drunkenness, violence, drunken driving and possibly fatalities.

At Steff's, a sports bar near the San Francisco Giants' AT&T Park, patron Armand Gaerlan liked the idea of a 4 a.m. last call. "I've lived in New York City. If it's working there, it can definitely happen here," said Gaerlan, who thinks the move would allow for making later dinner reservations.

At nearby Nova Bar and Restaurant, customer Kendra Chrysler said it was a bad idea. "I'll pass. I feel like nothing good happens after 2 a.m.," she said.

In Los Angeles, there is a buzz about a later last call, said Barbara Jacobs, chief operating officer at a 1920's-themed downtown nightspot, The Edison. She said the bar is making plans for a midnight breakfast and cocktail menu in case the proposal passes.

"There's clearly a demand," he said. "I think the younger population, especially the young tech workers - they're working hours that are different from the traditional 9 to 5. They work later, so they party later."

However, law enforcement officials argue that establishments serving alcohol past 2 a.m. will produce significant problems.

John Lovell, a lobbyist for the Sacramento-based California Police Chiefs Association, said an extended last call will further stretch many depleted law enforcement agencies that will be forced to monitor inebriated patrons when the bars close.

"That will be a whole new dynamic with those leaving a bar at 4 a.m. hitting the road when the early commute is in progress," Lovell said. "That brings a whole new danger."

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Boundbylove
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Bars and clubs in New York are open till 4am lol where I live ...

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I live in the suburbs. Not 1 "nightclub" in town. This will not impact me at all. I don;t do night clubs and none are near me. I'm good.

and besides, I am of the mind-set- nothing good occurs after midnight. so, what's 2 more hours?

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I don't see how CA bars staying open until 4 am will make them more competitive with NYC, Las Vegas or Miami (as mentioned). If someone is drinking in CA at 2 am and the bar closes, it's not like he'll be going to another state to keep drinking. And do people plan their vacations based on the availability oof 24 drinking? Will this really bring in more tourist dollars?

Maybe I'm just too old for this to be important. LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I'm not sure what to think of this. It does not sound like a good idea to me, but it's working in other states, so what do I know? I don't find it necessary for the average person to be able to drink past 2 am, but like the OP stated, there are people working all sorts of different shifts nowadays.

oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I'm from the East Coast but moved to San Francisco in the 90's and was surprised at how early everything seemed to shut down. 

I'm a musician and I play in various bands on a regular basis.  Everyone knows that from a live music standpoint, going on last at midnight is almost a guarantee you'll be playing to the bar staff and your friends.  Unless it's a name act, people go home. It's probably different for dance clubs, but if they make last call 4 AM I really hope they don't try to keep live music going til 2 or 3 AM.  That would just suck.

amyme63
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM
A later CA closing time would have been great when I lived there and worked until midnight or later! We often had to scramble like crazy people to make it before last call. But, its kind of a silly thing to focus on. I'm pretty sure CA has much more important problems to focus on than how late people can drink.

I live in NV, where you can drink all night! And I'm a bartender. I close at 9 pm! I love my job...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN