Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You do not have the right to braoadcast your bigotry. Agree?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Replies (31-40):
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

not that I disagree with your overall point but I am curious as to which "2 separate and very clear amendments" you believe offers them "protection"?  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So the 1st amendment only applies to some?  Who gets to define bigotry to begin with?  What is that definition by the way?

I am assuming this is in reference to homosexuality or gay marriage.  Many faiths believe this is sin.  Are these people bigots because of their religious beliefs?  The last time I checked the Constitution protects these people on 2 fronts in 2 separate and very clear amendments.

Finally, the SCOTUS has ruled you can broadcast most anything...because it is your RIGHT.

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I will point out the obvious, the Constitution only enumerates the areas in which the government cannot limit you, it does not offer you a blank check in every avenue of your life.  

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Quoting katy_kay08:

not that I disagree with your overall point but I am curious as to which "2 separate and very clear amendments" you believe offers them "protection"?  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So the 1st amendment only applies to some?  Who gets to define bigotry to begin with?  What is that definition by the way?

I am assuming this is in reference to homosexuality or gay marriage.  Many faiths believe this is sin.  Are these people bigots because of their religious beliefs?  The last time I checked the Constitution protects these people on 2 fronts in 2 separate and very clear amendments.

Finally, the SCOTUS has ruled you can broadcast most anything...because it is your RIGHT.

I didn't word that very clearly..I apologize. I will make an edit. Two PARTS of the same amendment. Freedom of religion gives them the right to their belief and freedom of speech gives them the freedom to voice it.
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I didn't word that very clearly..I apologize. I will make an edit. Two PARTS of the same amendment. Freedom of religion gives them the right to their belief and freedom of speech gives them the freedom to voice it.

it gives them freedom to not be prosecuted for it and it prevents the government from limiting it.  Beyond that,  no one is guaranteed a forum for their opinions.  

Case in point, the site owners have the right to limit one's participation of they feel the opinions being shared violate the rules set by the company.  

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

No, I do not agree.

You have the right to be a bigot and you have the right to shout it from the rooftops. 

You do not have the right to engage in illegal attacks or discrimination. 

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I disagree as well.  You have a right to be a bigot and you have a right to scream it from the rooftops.  As much as I abhor your bigotry, I will defend your right to it.

What I'll fight you on is any effort you take to limit or remove the rights of others.

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Quoting yourspecialkid:

No it was inspired by my friends racially bigoted neighbor who took the opportunity of he window being open to walk by and use the N word several times. This is happening in a apartment building in a town with a history of racism. It used to be called caucasian falls.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

MomofHDFandNWF
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM

That is where first amendment rights come in - freedom of speech.  You may not agree, you can agree to disagree, or you can argue with them - if you think it is going to do any good. But, unfortunately they do have that right....

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

I would prefer they broadcast it. In other words I want to know who the bigotts are nothing annoys me more than fake ass people.

LOL Never thought of it like that... Makes them easy to spot.  

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to get out more. There are plenty of folks in a rainbow of colors, who do not want to take responsibility or the consequences of the free choices that they make.

I boldly say this as an employed, secure, pale white skinned woman with blond hair and blue eyes-

Quoting Billiejeens:

See black for Liberal Mindset -

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

How is this a "Liberal" mind-set? Making chocies and then accepting consquences for them. Simple concept. I thought this was the basis for the "Conservative" mind-set?

Quoting Billiejeens:

That is just ingrained in the Liberal mind-set, I don't know how that get's stopped.

Quoting Sisteract:

And there is where the disconnect and problem presents. SO, SO many (CM is a perfect example) want to have and fully embrace all the freedoms, yet are unwilling or unable to accept the consequences and responsibilities that go along with the free choices that they make. Including being questioned about or labeled for their behaviors displayed, decisions made or words spoken/written.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Disagree.   People have every right to broadcast their bigotry.  What they don't have is the right to insist no one condemn them for their bigotry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured