Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
You do not have the right to braoadcast your bigotry. Agree?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Replies (41-50):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

And that is his right.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So the 1st amendment only applies to some?  Who gets to define bigotry to begin with?  What is that definition by the way?

I am assuming this is in reference to homosexuality or gay marriage.  Many faiths believe this is sin.  Are these people bigots because of their religious beliefs?  The last time I checked the Constitution protects these people on 2 fronts in 2 separate and very clear amendments.

Finally, the SCOTUS has ruled you can broadcast most anything...because it is your RIGHT.

No it was inspired by my friends racially bigoted neighbor who took the opportunity of he window being open to walk by and use the N word several times. This is happening in a apartment building in a town with a history of racism. It used to be called caucasian falls.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Luckily or unluckily there are no laws against being a reprehensible asshole in this country.
As ice t said, you're free to say what you want to say but you'd better be smart and watch what you say.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting katy_kay08:

not that I disagree with your overall point but I am curious as to which "2 separate and very clear amendments" you believe offers them "protection"?  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So the 1st amendment only applies to some?  Who gets to define bigotry to begin with?  What is that definition by the way?

I am assuming this is in reference to homosexuality or gay marriage.  Many faiths believe this is sin.  Are these people bigots because of their religious beliefs?  The last time I checked the Constitution protects these people on 2 fronts in 2 separate and very clear amendments.

Finally, the SCOTUS has ruled you can broadcast most anything...because it is your RIGHT.

I didn't word that very clearly..I apologize. I will make an edit. Two PARTS of the same amendment. Freedom of religion gives them the right to their belief and freedom of speech gives them the freedom to voice it.

it gives them freedom to not be prosecuted for it and it prevents the government from limiting it.  Beyond that,  no one is guaranteed a forum for their opinions.  

Case in point, the site owners have the right to limit one's participation of they feel the opinions being shared violate the rules set by the company.  

I must have missed where this question was about private forums....can you point it out to me?
survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I know , I just wish it wasnt I guess.

He has the right to think that way, I do not believe he has the right to say it to them.  I am glad my friends are older and wiser today, I would be afraid of them both getting arrested otherwise.

Quoting talia-mom:

And that is his right.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

No it was inspired by my friends racially bigoted neighbor who took the opportunity of he window being open to walk by and use the N word several times. This is happening in a apartment building in a town with a history of racism. It used to be called caucasian falls.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Wow.

That is scary that you think people shouldn't have the right to say something to someone.

Quoting survivorinohio:

He has the right to think that way, I do not believe he has the right to say it to them.  I am glad my friends are older and wiser today, I would be afraid of them both getting arrested otherwise.

Quoting talia-mom:

And that is his right.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I think hate language is the exception.  The n word is not right to say period.

Quoting talia-mom:

Wow.

That is scary that you think people shouldn't have the right to say something to someone.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

And that is his right.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

SLTmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep.  This.

Quoting romalove:

You have the right to be a bigot, and you have the right to express it, provided you are not advocating violence to others.

Others have the right to tell you how despicable you are.

Freedom of speech.

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM

dangerous territory.

Either people have freedom of speech or they don't.   You don't get to say you have the right to say whatever you want but other people can't use word you find offensive.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

Wow.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

And that is his right.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

What action should the person being harrassed by this bigots right to say what he wants be able to take?

Quoting talia-mom:

dangerous territory.

Either people have freedom of speech or they don't.   You don't get to say you have the right to say whatever you want but other people can't use word you find offensive.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

Wow.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

And that is his right.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Nothing

He should just walk away.

Or he can call him a bastard back every single time.

Simply because you are offending someone doesn't mean that should be illegal speech.

Quoting survivorinohio:

What action should the person being harrassed by this bigots right to say what he wants be able to take?

Quoting talia-mom:

dangerous territory.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

Wow.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

And that is his right.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN