Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You do not have the right to braoadcast your bigotry. Agree?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Replies (71-77):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Yes you are right it is outside of CM as well. I have lived in S. CA all my life. I have learned by a few other posters on CM, what it is like for them where they live. I am shocked sometimes when I hear someone say what goes on in other parts of the Country, that I had no idea that is still happening in the U.S. At least I'm not hearing it, until I hear it here on CM. That in the South or back East things I hear are SO different for the most part of what I hear in S. CA/CA. Except, for a few incidents, I don't see the big problems here as in say the South or East. Once, I went to St. Louis, MO. I stayed in this Hotel where I would go every morning for breakfast. The workers were all black. Which I have never seen before. (don't judge me for saying that) No workers said 1 word to me. The next day I decided well I'm going to start a conversation. Once, I did it was all good & had a great conversation with the workers. So, I thought wow that was strange. Again because I never grew up with that happening, I didn't understand. I didn't realize that there was so much tension between blacks & whites there.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Ok, now this is a good question. I feel one has the right to be bigot, but not to broadcast it in public or here on a forum. Some things should be kept to yourself. Now, that takes me to this question. What if that person HONESTLY don't feel they are being a bigot or racist? Seriously. Maybe, others see it/read it/hear it, but isn't there the possibility that the person is wrong in saying that is what they are doing, being a bigot/racist? Would it be better if a person just comes out & says ok I'm a bigot/racist? I wish there was a conversation on this subject, without the attacks & name calling that is certain to come. Instead of automatically 'assuming' tell that person WHY THEY think that person is displaying racist/bigot ways. IDK, just seems like a lot of hateful people on CM.
Quoting mikiemom:

I would prefer they broadcast it. In other words I want to know who the bigotts are nothing annoys me more than fake ass people.

It isn't just CM.  

If some one truly does not see that their words and actions relate to bigotry, no one will be able to help them see this.  Some are so dead set in their way of thinking that they are not capable of seeing things differently.

I grew up in San Diego.  

During a visit to MI, a few years ago, my daughter and I were right in the middle of some of the most awful racist comments and attitudes I have ever seen.  It was disgusting.  But I never thought, throughout my life, that it doesn't happen or that it can't happen at any given time or place.

On our way to Lansing (one of my sisters lives there) we had a lay over in Detroit.  There were many AA people in the airport, working and otherwise.  My daughter, who was 10 at the time, asked me if that is where most of the black people lived.  I realized then that she has been quite sheltered.  Not by choice but just by where we have lived.   That certainly does not, or did not, make her racist but the reality of it hit hard.  Add that to the way she saw people talking about and acting towards black people, she was educated quickly on the ugliness that people are.  

Having been raised in San Diego, I found myself becoming jaded toward Mexians.  They were, after all, every where.  As I grew up and as I realized that not every Mexican was the one who jumped the boarder, I learned not to judge all by the acts of some.  I still find myself having a hard time with some aspects because those coming over illegally are taking away from my own children.  Or so I thought.  So I moved.  I will never live in SD again.  However, that just isn't due to the population.  Many other factors as well. I am not a fan of California.

Even here in WA, there is racism.  I see it but not nearly as often as others.

When I was over towards Seattle for school, for 5 weeks.....one of the students was a very intelligent, caring and humorous black man.  I adore him and we keep in touch regularly.  We had many long talks.  He shared some things from his perspective.  

There were 5 of us, four non black females and him. We were at the mall several times.  He would follow us around from store to store while we shopped. lol  I began to notice that he was getting some rather uncomfortable looks from people. A few times remarks were made. People who were white and black.  His demeanour changed.  I asked him about it.  Now, Tacoma is not a great place and it is indeed quite diverse.  Regardless of the diversity, you could not pay me to live there and I have no intention of ever returning to that town.  But damn if I didn't pick up how he was treated based on the color of his skin and who he was with.  I could go on about his feelings on this but that could certainly open a can of worms in this place. 

The color of some one's skin is not the indicator, for me, as to who the person is.  Their words, their actions are.  

Some people are deemed a bigot when, in reality, they truly may not be.  Sometimes ignorance is mistaken for bigotry.  

Such a wonderful perspective. I must add a comment regarding your last statement however. I think sometimes ignorance is a shield used to hide bigotry. I say this simply from what I have observed here on Cm as well as IRL. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Yes you are right it is outside of CM as well. I have lived in S. CA all my life. I have learned by a few other posters on CM, what it is like for them where they live. I am shocked sometimes when I hear someone say what goes on in other parts of the Country, that I had no idea that is still happening in the U.S. At least I'm not hearing it, until I hear it here on CM. That in the South or back East things I hear are SO different for the most part of what I hear in S. CA/CA. Except, for a few incidents, I don't see the big problems here as in say the South or East. Once, I went to St. Louis, MO. I stayed in this Hotel where I would go every morning for breakfast. The workers were all black. Which I have never seen before. (don't judge me for saying that) No workers said 1 word to me. The next day I decided well I'm going to start a conversation. Once, I did it was all good & had a great conversation with the workers. So, I thought wow that was strange. Again because I never grew up with that happening, I didn't understand. I didn't realize that there was so much tension between blacks & whites there.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Ok, now this is a good question. I feel one has the right to be bigot, but not to broadcast it in public or here on a forum. Some things should be kept to yourself. Now, that takes me to this question. What if that person HONESTLY don't feel they are being a bigot or racist? Seriously. Maybe, others see it/read it/hear it, but isn't there the possibility that the person is wrong in saying that is what they are doing, being a bigot/racist? Would it be better if a person just comes out & says ok I'm a bigot/racist? I wish there was a conversation on this subject, without the attacks & name calling that is certain to come. Instead of automatically 'assuming' tell that person WHY THEY think that person is displaying racist/bigot ways. IDK, just seems like a lot of hateful people on CM.
Quoting mikiemom:

I would prefer they broadcast it. In other words I want to know who the bigotts are nothing annoys me more than fake ass people.

It isn't just CM.  

If some one truly does not see that their words and actions relate to bigotry, no one will be able to help them see this.  Some are so dead set in their way of thinking that they are not capable of seeing things differently.

I grew up in San Diego.  

During a visit to MI, a few years ago, my daughter and I were right in the middle of some of the most awful racist comments and attitudes I have ever seen.  It was disgusting.  But I never thought, throughout my life, that it doesn't happen or that it can't happen at any given time or place.

On our way to Lansing (one of my sisters lives there) we had a lay over in Detroit.  There were many AA people in the airport, working and otherwise.  My daughter, who was 10 at the time, asked me if that is where most of the black people lived.  I realized then that she has been quite sheltered.  Not by choice but just by where we have lived.   That certainly does not, or did not, make her racist but the reality of it hit hard.  Add that to the way she saw people talking about and acting towards black people, she was educated quickly on the ugliness that people are.  

Having been raised in San Diego, I found myself becoming jaded toward Mexians.  They were, after all, every where.  As I grew up and as I realized that not every Mexican was the one who jumped the boarder, I learned not to judge all by the acts of some.  I still find myself having a hard time with some aspects because those coming over illegally are taking away from my own children.  Or so I thought.  So I moved.  I will never live in SD again.  However, that just isn't due to the population.  Many other factors as well. I am not a fan of California.

When I was over towards Seattle for school, for 5 weeks.....one of the students was a very intelligent, caring and humorous black man.  I adore him and we keep in touch regularly.  We had many long talks.  He shared some things from his perspective.  

There were 5 of us, four non black females and him. We were at the mall several times.  He would follow us around from store to store while we shopped. lol  I began to notice that he was getting some rather uncomfortable looks from people. A few times remarks were made. People who were white and black.  His demeanour changed.  I asked him about it.  Now, Tacoma is not a great place and it is indeed quite diverse.  Regardless of the diversity, you could not pay me to live there and I have no intention of ever returning to that town.  But damn if I didn't pick up how he was treated based on the color of his skin and who he was with.  I could go on about his feelings on this but that could certainly open a can of worms in this place. 

The color of some one's skin is not the indicator, for me, as to who the person is.  Their words, their actions are.  

Some people are deemed a bigot when, in reality, they truly may not be.  Sometimes ignorance is mistaken for bigotry.  

Such a wonderful perspective. I must add a comment regarding your last statement however. I think sometimes ignorance is a shield used to hide bigotry. I say this simply from what I have observed here on Cm as well as IRL. 

I absolutely agree.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that's probably true too. I just think that people should just come out & say exactly how they feel, but include WHY they feel this way. Or ask questions of that person they are accusing of being a bigot/racist. When there's not the attacking all the time that goes on here on CM, then perhaps we ALL can get somewhere on an issue. Too often people are attacking one another back & forth. Then it loses it's purpose of a thread/topic. Instead I wish we all can just calm down, leave your hatred inside & just ask questions of one another. Not just automatically assume. I sometimes wonder WHY what is the purpose/gain they get out of attacks & insulting people. Are they trying to prove their point? When the point they are trying to prove, might just not be true & correct. I just think that these CM's in this group, would be pretty surprised at what answers they would get, if only they would ask questions of that person they are trying to insult.
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting mikiemom:

It isn't just CM.  

I grew up in San Diego.  

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM
They have every right to do so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I disagree. If I say someone can't broadcast their bigotry, what's to stop them from saying I can't broadcast my views?

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Quoting Naturewoman4:

There are people in this group that probably see me as being hateful, but at the same time that's how I see them as well. So I argue with someone because I think they are hateful and they do the same and nothing comes out of it really. IRL I have seen racism, I have gone many times to the immigration office to apply, interviews and such for my green card and I noticed that people have always been nice to me, from the security guard to the interviewer, but then behind me is a Hispanic looking person and all of a sudden the smiles turn into frowns and there is no small talk. Are those people really so hateful or do they not realize what they are doing? Sometimes I wonder!

To the OP, people should display their bigotry, because like a pp said, it gives me the opportunity to avoid them or tell them where to shove it, depending on my mood.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Im a bigot...as well as predjudiced.  IMO its human when integrated with a culture that you dont fully understand or in the end...want to understand.  When you see colour coupled with ethnic background doing the stereotypical (usually negative to your society) then you become a bigot or predjudiced against the whole.  Its an ugly side to me but doubt that some experiences can be wiped because I will probably never be integrated enough or fully understand that culture enough for it ever to be overcome.  All I can do is try not to overjudge the people and concentrate on the person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured