Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solution to minimum wage woes

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

I agree when it's been said in the past that minimum wage was never meant to support families, so I tend to disagree with efforts to increase it (I think).  This is a bit of a ramble because I'm not well-versed in economics.  I'm wondering if a solution wouldn't be if businesses offered things like tuition reimbursment to employees?  The employees have to put in a certain amount of time at the work, even at minimum wage, if need be, but the employer can help with school costs somehow?  Maybe get some sort of tax benefit for that?  It would get adults with families what they need to advance and get out of minimum wage jobs, and maybe has the potential to benefit the employer?  Thoughts?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Some businesses do that, but for many there is no economic incentive to insure their low wage earners get an education as that ultimately works against them in employee retention.  

talia-mom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Businesses can already choose to do that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

My work does that, but the employees have to stay on for the length of time they were in school.  So if they get tuition reimbursment for 4 years of nursing school (bear in mind they were already employees at the time), they have to work an additional 4 years to cover the reimbursment.  By that time they are fairly well entrenched in terms of employment. I understand this won't work somewhere like McDonald's, but they have high turnaround anyway, so that's why I thought maybe a tax break?  I don't know, just sort of spitballing...

Quoting katy_kay08:

Some businesses do that, but for many there is no economic incentive to insure their low wage earners get an education as that ultimately works against them in employee retention.  

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I know they can, I just don't know how many do.  I don't know how feasible it is economically, but I think it's in the public's best interest if more people can go to school rather than work minimum wage jobs, so they can get off the dole.  If there was a way to make it more attractive to businesses...

Quoting talia-mom:

Businesses can already choose to do that.

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Plenty of employers offer tuition reimbursement. DH's work does. It has a yearly cap but no lifetime cap. 

The problem is its a reimbursement. You still need the money up front. If someone can barely afford to eat dinner, they can't pull $2000 out of their butt for a semester of community college. (Even though they know they will get it back when grades post)

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

That's true about the reimbursment, I know that's the problem I run in to.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Plenty of employers offer tuition reimbursement. DH's work does. It has a yearly cap but no lifetime cap. 

The problem is its a reimbursement. You still need the money up front. If someone can barely afford to eat dinner, they can't pull $2000 out of their butt for a semester of community college. (Even though they know they will get it back when grades post)

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM

bump

meriana
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Or how about taking away the tax cuts, breaks, etc. from companies that ship work over-seas so they can take advantage of the low wages there. Tell them if they want any kind of tax cut/break, etc., they need to keep the majority of their work here and hire citizens at a decent wage
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM

What if the individual is not in a position to return to school?  

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I don't know. I just think we should make it easier on those who do or can.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

What if the individual is not in a position to return to school?  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)