Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boy, 4, accidentally kills Tenn. deputy's wife

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 29 Replies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Authorities say a 4-year-old boy grabbed a loaded gun at a family cookout and accidentally shot and killed the wife of a Tennessee sheriff's deputy.

Investigators say Wilson County Deputy Daniel Fanning on Saturday was showing his weapons to a relative in a bedroom of his Lebanon home when the toddler came in and picked up a gun off the bed. Sheriff Robert Bryan says the weapon discharged, hitting 48-year-old Josephine Fanning.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. The child is not related to her or her husband.

Bryan says the shooting was a terrible accident and that within seconds of Fanning placing the gun on the bed, the toddler picked it up.

The gun was not Fanning's service weapon and the sheriff says the deputy's weapons are normally stored in a safe.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperChicken
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Tragic.   :(

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Horrible.

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
How terrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsMimna
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

So Sad....prayers for all involved :(

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Tragic case.

I often hear people say, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people".

This was obviously a tragic case and an accident. But if the above statement is true. Does that mean this 4 year old is a stone cold killer who set out to kill someone? Or could we all agree that guns are an extremely effective machine for killing-So effective a 4 year old can kill someone by accident with it?

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Awful. Parents, lock up those guns.

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

this seems to be happening more often within the LE community.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't believe it was set down with a toddler in reaching distance :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dx1066
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Why in the world was it loaded?  Or even further, why was the safety not on?  We have guns, and even though we keep them locked in our gun safe, they are never loaded, and safetys are on until we take them out, load them, and are ready to use them.  This is tragic, but I would have thought a sherriff would know better than to lay a loaded gun on the bed with the safety off.  That is just bad practice.  ANYTIME a gun isn't being shot, the safety should be on.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
4 moms liked this

Probably over confidence.

I have came across moms here who say they are okay with their 5 year olds and 8 year olds being able to access their guns because they are taught gun safety and know more about guns than me and would never make a mistake, or have an accident.

Some people get over confident thinking it will never happen to them.

Quoting dx1066:

Why in the world was it loaded?  Or even further, why was the safety not on?  We have guns, and even though we keep them locked in our gun safe, they are never loaded, and safetys are on until we take them out, load them, and are ready to use them.  This is tragic, but I would have thought a sherriff would know better than to lay a loaded gun on the bed with the safety off.  That is just bad practice.  ANYTIME a gun isn't being shot, the safety should be on.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)