Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of wealth distribution in America?

Posted by   + Show Post

I just saw this video on YouTube and I'm aghast!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=player_embedded

What say you?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM
6 moms liked this

If the people in this country would be more concerned with doing something than with spending money they aren't doing something to make (or on crap that they don't NEED), this wouldn't be such an issue.

People need food, shelter, and clothing. Many have that, but they feel they deserve better food, shelter, and clothing.

I'll admit that I like nice things. I like quality things. I don't go out and buy things and stuff them in closets. I don't buy something new every year ~ I use what I have until it wears out or breaks. I don't buy name brand clothes ~ and won't ... just the thought of crawling around in the pig pen when a pig is farrowing in $300 jeans makes my head hurt! I grow the food we eat. I don't 'need' to go out to eat, to get drunk (I don't drink in any case), I don't use drugs, I watch movies on Netflix or not at all, I don't have cable (and don't miss it), etc.

Do I think everyone should make the same choices I made? No. What I do think is that if you 'want' things you don't 'need', you are suffering from envy and greed ... and possibly have some delusions of grandeur.

All that being said, when the economy doesn't support a living wage, when rent prices are artificially jacked up because of HUD, etc. and people are hungry, cold, overheated, or living on the street there are problems. I absolutely agree with that.

What I do NOT agree with is the idea that the people who have made money are obligated in some way to share that money with those who have not. The problem is not caused by some people (even a very few people) hoarding all the money.

Some of the problem stems from the very people who are doing without. Some made some very stupid and/or bad choices. Some just aren't as smart as others, some never learned to apply themselves, and some are plain lazy.

Others are caught in an ongoing cycle of abuse, poverty because of their location, or have had medical issues.

Out of all of those, ONLY the medical issues are not by an ultimate choice. And, ALL of the things I have listed except medical conditions are directly caused by government intrusion and design. Wages suck because of gov't. regulations. Same goes for job availability. Same goes for people making bad choices.

What? Huh? The government did that? Yup. It has taught people that no one is wrong, and that it will pay them for making bad choices ... even when they make the same ones over and over. The public schools run by the government teach this outright. So do our colleges. After 30+ years of this crap, we have a nation full of incompetents who are now being taught to blame the people who have made money. They are being taught this by the government that is out of money, and needs to keep the people it taught to be incompetent from gnawing on Uncle Sammy's ankles. Uncle Sammy says blame the rich (but don't look at the income of those who constitute Uncle Sammy!) so he's on a concerted campaign to tax them more, redistribute that wealth, and pacify 'the people'. Until the rich pack up and leave and take all their lovely money with them.

Considering it was also Uncle Sammy that taught the people to just be consumers instead of producers after the regulations ran business out of the country, none of this is surprising.

It's only going to get worse. Uncle Sammy really is broke. His credit rating is dropping like a lead balloon. His respect from others is in the trash can. And, his ability to just print more money is about to go bye bye. When that happens, a whole lot more bad things are going to get dumped on the people who keep holding their hands out thinking Uncle Sammy will fill them.

As for the video, and the observation that about the Walton's ~ how many people who feel that it's wrong for so few people to have so much money ALSO shop in their stores or work and shop there? If you don't like it, STOP helping them. Start paying attention to which corporations 'buy' your vote in Congress and start holding your congresscritter accountable. Tell THEM, every day if possible, that you want America back instead of the corporate run nightmare they have created. Don't just tell them, demand it.

The wealthy have no one to blame but 'you' for being wealthy. Boycott the corporations and the products they sell. Hit them where it absolutely will hurt. Get your food from local sources instead of Cargill and Tyson. Stop buying cheap 'made in China' crap. Buy American. Only. If everyone did this for even one month the effect on these companies would be staggering. If they did it for 6 months, the bastages wouldn't be able to afford a congresscritter. Yes ~ it really is that simple.

That is the choice Americans have. Suck it up, change your own habits, and demand that our elected servants start serving Americans ... or accept that 'you' are part of the problem, that 'you' enable the rich people you envy, and that 'you' don't actually care enough to fix the problem.

I have put my money where my mouth (fingers) is. I walk the walk. I have for almost 20 years now (living in cities ... I've only had my little farm for 3 years). I grew my own food. What I couldn't grow I bought from farmers and farmer's markets. I got meat from local farms. I bought in bulk and canned and dehydrated food in season rather than living on chemically treated imports. I didn't buy on credit or run up bills. I actually saved money instead of spending it. I chose the smallest dwelling I could cram my stuff into ~ and learned to get rid of crap I didn't need. That meant lower utility bills, less expenses for furniture, clothing, and 'stuff'. When I did buy something it was because I needed it, and I bought the best I could afford and made in America. Right now it 'costs' me less than $300 a month to 'exist', and I am living a life I love. I made the choice to do so. For those who say not everyone has it so easy, I was dumped in a state where I knew no one, with three boys under the age of 5, with no car, and no money. I found a derelict trailer and convinced the owner to let me live there in exchange for cleaning it and repairing it until I got a job. I got three jobs. I walked to work (over 11 miles daily). I dragged groceries home in a little red wagon. My first purchase was beds and clothing, then a junk car. Once I had those I worried about getting the electricity turned on. So yeah ~ I've BEEN there. Hungry, poorer than dirt.

Did I get any help? Yup. One month of foodstamps (the emergency allotment) that was cut off when I got the first two jobs. I got books from the library for the repairs on the dinky trailer. I bought seeds with some of those food stamps and planted another garden. Some of my coworkers scrounged canning jars from yard sales for me before I got a vehicle. In any case, I didn't allow myself the 'luxury' of feeling sorry for myself ~ I just went to work on fixing the problems in my own little part of the world. I did that while dealing with RA and SLE (sans medication because of allergies). I did so because those boys were mine to raise, feed, clothe, and shelter ~ and because I deserved a much better set of living conditions. When I don't accept excuses, it's because I know that most excuses aren't anything BUT excuses.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Very good points made here.

WM has created a permanent underclass of isolated folks-

Quoting Farmlady09:

If the people in this country would be more concerned with doing something than with spending money they aren't doing something to make (or on crap that they don't NEED), this wouldn't be such an issue.

People need food, shelter, and clothing. Many have that, but they feel they deserve better food, shelter, and clothing.

I'll admit that I like nice things. I like quality things. I don't go out and buy things and stuff them in closets. I don't buy something new every year ~ I use what I have until it wears out or breaks. I don't buy name brand clothes ~ and won't ... just the thought of crawling around in the pig pen when a pig is farrowing in $300 jeans makes my head hurt! I grow the food we eat. I don't 'need' to go out to eat, to get drunk (I don't drink in any case), I don't use drugs, I watch movies on Netflix or not at all, I don't have cable (and don't miss it), etc.

Do I think everyone should make the same choices I made? No. What I do think is that if you 'want' things you don't 'need', you are suffering from envy and greed ... and possibly have some delusions of grandeur.

All that being said, when the economy doesn't support a living wage, when rent prices are artificially jacked up because of HUD, etc. and people are hungry, cold, overheated, or living on the street there are problems. I absolutely agree with that.

What I do NOT agree with is the idea that the people who have made money are obligated in some way to share that money with those who have not. The problem is not caused by some people (even a very few people) hoarding all the money.

Some of the problem stems from the very people who are doing without. Some made some very stupid and/or bad choices. Some just aren't as smart as others, some never learned to apply themselves, and some are plain lazy.

Others are caught in an ongoing cycle of abuse, poverty because of their location, or have had medical issues.

Out of all of those, ONLY the medical issues are not by an ultimate choice. And, ALL of the things I have listed except medical conditions are directly caused by government intrusion and design. Wages suck because of gov't. regulations. Same goes for job availability. Same goes for people making bad choices.

What? Huh? The government did that? Yup. It has taught people that no one is wrong, and that it will pay them for making bad choices ... even when they make the same ones over and over. The public schools run by the government teach this outright. So do our colleges. After 30+ years of this crap, we have a nation full of incompetents who are now being taught to blame the people who have made money. They are being taught this by the government that is out of money, and needs to keep the people it taught to be incompetent from gnawing on Uncle Sammy's ankles. Uncle Sammy says blame the rich (but don't look at the income of those who constitute Uncle Sammy!) so he's on a concerted campaign to tax them more, redistribute that wealth, and pacify 'the people'. Until the rich pack up and leave and take all their lovely money with them.

Considering it was also Uncle Sammy that taught the people to just be consumers instead of producers after the regulations ran business out of the country, none of this is surprising.

It's only going to get worse. Uncle Sammy really is broke. His credit rating is dropping like a lead balloon. His respect from others is in the trash can. And, his ability to just print more money is about to go bye bye. When that happens, a whole lot more bad things are going to get dumped on the people who keep holding their hands out thinking Uncle Sammy will fill them.

As for the video, and the observation that about the Walton's ~ how many people who feel that it's wrong for so few people to have so much money ALSO shop in their stores or work and shop there? If you don't like it, STOP helping them. Start paying attention to which corporations 'buy' your vote in Congress and start holding your congresscritter accountable. Tell THEM, every day if possible, that you want America back instead of the corporate run nightmare they have created. Don't just tell them, demand it.

The wealthy have no one to blame but 'you' for being wealthy. Boycott the corporations and the products they sell. Hit them where it absolutely will hurt. Get your food from local sources instead of Cargill and Tyson. Stop buying cheap 'made in China' crap. Buy American. Only. If everyone did this for even one month the effect on these companies would be staggering. If they did it for 6 months, the bastages wouldn't be able to afford a congresscritter. Yes ~ it really is that simple.

That is the choice Americans have. Suck it up, change your own habits, and demand that our elected servants start serving Americans ... or accept that 'you' are part of the problem, that 'you' enable the rich people you envy, and that 'you' don't actually care enough to fix the problem.

I have put my money where my mouth (fingers) is. I walk the walk. I have for almost 20 years now (living in cities ... I've only had my little farm for 3 years). I grew my own food. What I couldn't grow I bought from farmers and farmer's markets. I got meat from local farms. I bought in bulk and canned and dehydrated food in season rather than living on chemically treated imports. I didn't buy on credit or run up bills. I actually saved money instead of spending it. I chose the smallest dwelling I could cram my stuff into ~ and learned to get rid of crap I didn't need. That meant lower utility bills, less expenses for furniture, clothing, and 'stuff'. When I did buy something it was because I needed it, and I bought the best I could afford and made in America. Right now it 'costs' me less than $300 a month to 'exist', and I am living a life I love. I made the choice to do so. For those who say not everyone has it so easy, I was dumped in a state where I knew no one, with three boys under the age of 5, with no car, and no money. I found a derelict trailer and convinced the owner to let me live there in exchange for cleaning it and repairing it until I got a job. I got three jobs. I walked to work (over 11 miles daily). I dragged groceries home in a little red wagon. My first purchase was beds and clothing, then a junk car. Once I had those I worried about getting the electricity turned on. So yeah ~ I've BEEN there. Hungry, poorer than dirt.

Did I get any help? Yup. One month of foodstamps (the emergency allotment) that was cut off when I got the first two jobs. I got books from the library for the repairs on the dinky trailer. I bought seeds with some of those food stamps and planted another garden. Some of my coworkers scrounged canning jars from yard sales for me before I got a vehicle. In any case, I didn't allow myself the 'luxury' of feeling sorry for myself ~ I just went to work on fixing the problems in my own little part of the world. I did that while dealing with RA and SLE (sans medication because of allergies). I did so because those boys were mine to raise, feed, clothe, and shelter ~ and because I deserved a much better set of living conditions. When I don't accept excuses, it's because I know that most excuses aren't anything BUT excuses.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
3 moms liked this
In the early part of our nations history, the biggest debate revolved around the nation's banking and monetary issues and policies (except for slavery) even the main issue of 1896 election of was the 16 to 1 debate.

See the issue centered around interest profits created from a low quality fiat monetary that is made at the expense of the people and government. That hasn't changed.

While, I do feel to a small extent that the federal taxes code could help the income gap between rich and poor. I feel, as a nation, we need to get back to stopping monopolies from controlling a vast amount of industries and services.

Right now, our major industrial, financial, investment, and consumer business decision are not being made as to what make the business grow (things like hiring, advertising, growth and or plant investment) what is driving all the business decision is centered on, "What will the FED do"?

Basically, how do I get my free money, the GOP maybe worried about some punk getting a forty dollar Obamaphone. But, they never seems concern about Citibank getting a $450 billion financial kickback option created by this free money or the others' major companies getting their free money.

Look, the reason they are getting theirs is that they know the game and we don't, they control and we don't even play the game.

These companies tell us we should be debating how the chairs on the Titanic should be arrange, while they run the ship into a financial iceberg, and once it hits, they tell us to blame each other for how the chairs were arrange.

We in our communities need to bring back control of our wealth, our business, our capital, our etc., because right now all of our communities are just financial servants in a mercantilism system that just benefits the rich monopolies of the very few.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Quoting HunnyBabie:

What do you think of wealth distribution in America?

There is a benefit to society from a certain amount of inequality of wealth.   It provides incentives to work.  It makes for simple deterministic (therefore understandable and predictable) laws.

There is also a downside to society from having too much inequality of wealth.   The more unequal the distribution within a population, the worse their average life expecancy, happiness, crime levels, education, and many other things.

I don't think America currently has the balance correct, between these two factors.   It isn't getting a good deal.  The benefits from having THAT amount of inequality don't outweigh the costs.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM

There's a really fascinating series of NYT pieces about how the super wealthy stay that way and get richer:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/features/timestopics/series/but_nobody_pays_that/index.html

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM
2 moms liked this

You are talking about the people in the bottom of our country. Did you watch the video? It is talking about our entire country.

No one has said, "Let's take their money and give it to other people". But if you look at Walmart for example. They are one of the richest families on the planet. Yet their employee's don't make a liveable wage.

There was a study done that suggested they could raise the salary of all their employees by three dollars and it would only cost consumers 50 cents a visit. This is assuming the owners can't take a cut in profits and have to pass it all on to the consumers.

If the people who make up the bottom of our country had jobs that provided livable wages it would be an incredible boost to our economy. Not only would they be able to pay rent, buy their own food, and spend their money at various other places/save it. But the government wouldn't have to give so much in Public Assistance either.

When we allow our countries biggest employers that has profits in the billions squeeze down so hard on our country that people feel they have to work off the clock to keep their job. A job that is toward the bottom of the barrel.

Inequality is what will come. And while it is true a "free" market will self correct. The self correcting of all the money being bundled a the very top and not circulating is the whole thing crumbling and starting over again. Hence why some people want to focus on it.

And what you said toward the bottom is a catch 22. Some people can only afford to work at walmart. Then when you have the people who are employed by walmart I imagine they do all their shopping their as well.

Those people squeezing down on the bottom, the ones who abuse tax loopholes, and the ones out sourcing all their jobs. Know what would happen if they left? Someone would replace them. And perhaps that person might give out livable wages to the people left behind. Perhaps that person will pay taxes.

If the people abusing the system, abusing the people, abusting their power, and commiting fraud all left. It wouldn't be the end for our country. Other people would fill the whole they leave behind.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

mamalusbear
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Mind boggling.....

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

They shouldn't have too.  Walmart was NEVER meant to be a career.  It was meant to be a low paying menial job.  They pay NO LESS than Target, Kohls or any other similar store.  There rates are competitive with any other chain store and if people don't like it they don't have to work there. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Did anyone suggest that?

This does show that they could afford to pay their employees more. In fact I think one study stated if they raised every employee at Walmarts salary by 3 dollars an hour it would only cost the consumers about 50 cents a visit (This is assuming is not possible to ask one of the richest families on the planet to accept a little less profits).

This would curb the inequality. No one is saying, "Let's steal/take all their money and give it out". People are saying, "Perhaps, some of the biggest employers in the country can afford to pay better wages".

Perhaps the growth of income is extremely disproportionate. And this doesn't mean we don't want people to be successful and rich. People can still be extremely rich and share some of those profits with the people they employ.

Quoting talia-mom:

So do you think they should have to give up most of their money and have it distributed by the government to other people?

Quoting HunnyBabie:

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

That's apalling!!!  How can 6 ppl own more than 40% of the rest of a nation???  I'm a conservative, so I'm not looking to the government to fix anything.  I think their laws and regulations are what created this problem in the first place; the market has no room to self-correct or self-regulate.

You know I keep those 6 ppl rich.  Well, I don't, but DH does; he says things like we can't afford to shop anywhere else.  It sickens me that they just sponge off the rest of us like that!!!  I always hated WalMart; now I hate it even more!!!

Quoting Sisteract:

What's really interesting is when you breakdown the top 1% -  the vast majority pf the wealth is held by the top 0.4% of citizens- The 6 Waltons (WM owners) hold as much wealth as the bottom 40% of Americans- 6 people!

Quoting HunnyBabie:

I think that's what the democrats (socialists) want us (the bottom 99%) to think.  Then socialism looks a whole lot better, with all that equality going on and all.

Can you believe the top 1% guy with his ten stacks??? 

Quoting Sisteract:

The bottom 99% are never going to get ahead in the new America- and that might grow to the bottom 99.6%-

lga1965
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM

well, first of all, You Tube is filled with crap. I don't think I'll click on it.

Second: Taxation is redistributing wealth,right? Those of us who pay taxes provide funds for the government and they provide welfare for those who need it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN